Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can not connect to internet

Hello all,

I have some issues with my home computer. I can not connect to the internet. I have had this problem before, but do not know what the fellow walked me through. He deleted or uninstalled a program on windows and then rebooted. He said that when he rebooted, windows would reload the program. Well, he did and my internet came back. I can not remember what he did. Does this procedure seem familar to anyone? And if so could you post the procedure? ( Before I called the internet company to check the connection and it was fine. I called the modem company and after trouble shooting the tech said the modem was working. that is when the tech walked me through uninstalling or deleting somnething.)

I have a E-Machine 2600, Atholon proceessor, running XP windows. I know this is not a lot of info, but this is all i have with me today at work.

Thanks for any help in the matter.

Paco...........computer challenged

Re: Can not connect to internet

He probably had you delete your providers adapters, and or network adapters, or the modem itself depending on the provider is, its impossible to tell you specifically WHICH one to remove because you didnt give all this information that would be needed to direct that. Call the MODEM company again and ask them.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi Paco,

There is another way to solve your problem.

Your Windows XP comes with a system restore so you can go backward to the day your internet connection was working.

Try it yourself without calling for a technican to do it for you.

Click start-Select All Programs-select Accessories-select System Tools-finally select System Restore.

The page will appear with "This will restore your system to...............
      Select the date when your connection was OK and the computer will do the rest.
      www.siapamoyanganda.com/
      Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
      State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

What is your Internet Service Provider?
        and
        Are you using a CABLE MODEM or DSL MODEM?
        and
        Do you have a WIRELESS(or not) ROUTER in use?

When the tech uninstalled then re-installed "whatever it was"...in my opinion, he was taking the quick fix route. Your problem could be caused by incorrect internet or network settings, but instead of finding the cause, the tech simply let Windows XP do what it does when it detects new hardware....install drivers...and then(if it were the network card) searches for a network connection(bypassing all custom settings already in place). This may work for a while, but once you start using programs that access the internet, like games or Live Messenger or Yahoo's msngr which some have file sharing capabilities, then all kinds of ports, firewall settings, and protocols come into play.

Anyways, answer the top 3 questions, and then perhaps we can make sure you don't have this same problem for a loooong time. I've ran into some weird connections problems in the past and I would be more than happy to troubleshoot with ya.
        Robert
        www.GraphXntrix.com
        Your Visual Revolution Solution

Comment

If your computer is connected to modem only: there is a reset hole either on the back or front. Put a paper clip in it and hold for 10 sec. Release and give it about a minute or two to re-set.

If your computer is behind a router: Disconnect the cable at the back of the router that LEADS TO THE COMPUTER. Then disconnect the cable that leads from the Modem to the router. Stick a paper clip in the re-set hole on the Modem and hold for about 10 sec. Then release and give it a minute to re-set. Now connect the wire back that leads from the modem to the router. Wait a minute. Then connect the wire from the router to the computer. Wait a minute.

Try the internet.

Andy
          PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Did you run a DNS Flush yet? (Different than cleaning browser cache).
            1. Shut down all browsers and other programs
            2. Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> Prompt Command
            3. Enter ipconfig/flushdnsand hit Enter
            4. Repeat
            5. Shut system down, unplug modem/connection for at least 1 full minute.
            6. Restart system

If that does not work, restore your computer to a time when all was functioning properly....delete programs that did not fuction properly before restoring, and then re-install them: if you need to download once again, use IDM, as it will catch all elements of a file (even Zipped files) when other means may not.

If this does not help, then you may need outside help (Geek Squad?).
            . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
            * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

That is a good one Generalissimo Vasili.

But before you flush ascertain first in the Prompt Command window whether your computer is receiving your ISP address from your router?

To do this enter in the Prompt Command window "ipconfig" then hit enter.
              The window will display your ISP address ___.___.___.___ If it does not display means it is not able to receive from your Router which also means that there is something wrong with your connection indicating either your Router is not functioning as it should or the Router jack ports could also be defective?

Abu.
              www.siapamoyanganda.com/
              Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
              State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Extremely unlikely.

Intermittent connectivity problems are not a result of ports or other hardware issues, but indicative of processing errors by the computer.
                Protocols.....processing....

Overcomplication (like overthinking with no action) is a waste.

Comment

but indicative of processing errors by the computer and / or modem.
                  I have a modem that is going and it needs to be reset often.

FYI

Andy
                  PHP- is a blast!

Comment

OK, ok.....I give!

Comment

Just wondering if anyone has anytime to help a fellow Voda Member with connectivity ...

They are unable to access this board to ask theirself, and I notice Robert you have offered to troubleshoot, I am wondering if you are around ... ??

And I see you too there Andy ... lol

If you let me know I can put you in contact with them.

It would be greatly appreciated ...

Thanks ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Lady-
                        Love to help. Have them contact me via my contact page on
                        netisopen.com

Andy
                        PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy128 View Post
                          Lady-
                          Love to help. Have them contact me via my contact page on
                          netisopen.com

Andy

Thanks Andy ...

I think they are sorted now, I heard this morning, appreciate your offer and when I hear from them I will make certain everything is okay ...

thanks so much Andy ... :)

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                          X