Stationary horizontal menu bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stationary horizontal menu bar

I want to redesign my website to make navigation easier.

I want a horizontal menu bar across the top of the page that remains stationary in the browser at all times while allowing the user to scroll through each page's content. I know how to do the menu bar but can't seem to figure out how to make it stay in place in the browser.

I want to pattern my site's navigation after the following site:

http://universal.ezwsite.com/

Can anyone give me a tip on how to get started creating a site with this type of navigation?

Thanks,

Jon in Phoenix
    www.nowsavecash.com

Re: Stationary horizontal menu bar

Hi, it is made up using iframes. But this one seems to use a slightly different method. If this is not important, then have a search for inline frames (iframes) on the forum. There is a downside to using iframes in that they aren’t SE friendly & won’t do your rankings many favours. But they are handy for showing images/adds/video.
    Out of curiosity? Is it the style you are after or having a universal menu.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

I beleive that is made with css, not i-frames. Have a look at http://www.dynamicdrive.com/style/layouts/
      Navaldesign
      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

I suspected i-frames, but I saw on the forum, like you said, there are downsides. It's critical that search engines pick up page text. I've noticed that Google picks up on certain phrases in my site, which is quite useful in my marketing.

Also, per your comment, it's a concern that the i-frames may not work right in every browser.

At this point, my #1 priority is a universal menu. I want every page to have a consistent look and feel with the ability to jump around with one consistent dashboard. I'd still love to be able to fix the menu in place.

I noticed that www.zazzle.com has this implementation - without the fixed menu. It seems like a pretty common implementation, but I haven't been able to locate an easy template. It looks like I could create it from scratch with top row of "tab" menu buttons with another row of menu buttons directly below it. Not sure how clean it would look, I'll just have to start experimenting with it.

Naval, I checked the css link you suggested and I'd like to try it. Where/how do I insert the sample html?

Thanks,

Jon in Phoenix

Comment

As per instructions on the Dynamic Drive site
          Navaldesign
          Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Working...
          X