Setting up monthly recurrent billing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up monthly recurrent billing

How is this done in soho? Can't find any thread matches to this in search.

Paul

Re: Setting up monthly recurrent billing

Try the Soholaunch Forum, and check also the MODs available.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Make sure you have a merchant account that allows for recurring billing - and often, you set it up there - not in the cart at all.
      Beth
      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
      SEO - The Basics

Comment

Yes, I'm using paypal, so that's not the problem. Only half the site is available to members, so full subscription to the entire site is not an option.

Just doesn't seem professional to do a shopping cart item called "subscription" then do everything manually when their security code expires.

I'll look into the paypal side and see if I can figure out how I can make it work. This is definitely getting complicated.

Paul

Comment

I dont mean to be a snit here, but if you are concerned with being PROFESSIONAL why are you using paypal? Its widely accepted yes, but its still considered unreliable by TONS of potential customers. They consider it used by ebay garage salers. Merchant accounts accepting credit cards are viewed as safer, more reliable, and more professional.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          1-302-283-3777 North America / International
          02036089024 / United Kingdom
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Paypal is used by millions, and I've rarely had a problem with it. And yes, I have a 16k feedback rating on my ebay account. Guess I'm also an "ebay garage saler". I've also had my account for 8 years now.

However, that's off-topic. I will explore the other payment options, but have not found supported merchant accounts that I can code a recurrent subscription with. They want ME to jump through hoops, to use THEIR service to pay THEM money. If this billing were enabled in soho, then there would be no problem signing up with 10 different payment options for merchant accounts and creating a logistical nightmare. I've chosen paypal as my merchant account because I have a long history with them, and nearly everyone knows what paypal is. Just because you class paypal as "low class" and "unprofessional" doesn't mean the majority of the web public does.

karen, you actually KNOW what you are doing, to a point you understand the importance of SSL, and the way the actual web works with it's downfalls. A great many people who shop on the web have absolutely no idea how they are doing it, only that they are following professional looking links and getting their product in the mail. Simplified procedures, with a name they know establishes a better rapport. All they know is to get their credit card out, enter their number, click "pay" and they get their product.

And I don't mean to be a snit either, I'm just pointing to the facts. The more complicated you make something, the greater the margin for error.

Paul

Comment

And I also thought this was a support forum, where you get answers to a question from other members and admin. Didn't know this was a forum to vent personal views.

My apologies for doing so.

Paul

Comment

Paul,

I didnt meant to upset you, just giving you the facts, and never under estimate your clientelle! So dont take it the wrong way, just trying to give you some constructive feedback.

I will explore the other payment options, but have not found supported merchant accounts that I can code a recurrent subscription with. They want ME to jump through hoops, to use THEIR service to pay THEM money. If this billing were enabled in soho, then there would be no problem signing up with 10 different payment options for merchant accounts and creating a logistical nightmare
                This billing wont be enabled anywhere except your merchant account or payment method. And, even if you use paypal and they allow it, it will have a higher transaction rate. The reason its not an option in the cart is that you have to be LEGALLY authorized to do this type of billing, and the second a customer says they didnt authorize, you will have charge backs, so thats why you usually have to jump thru some hoops to ensure the legality of recurring charges and... authenticate the charges. This is going to be a BANK requirement, so it will have those "hoops" attatched even if its paypal.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

The other reason the hoops exist, is that it requires you to keep the customers payment information on file, and authorized use of it. This in itself is a touchy situation, under privacy acts, and ICANN on the web. Any more you have to notify them if you retain any tracking information not to mention personal identity and payment information.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

I'm a proponent of Paypal for people starting out. But make sure you know your target audience. If you're moving off of Ebay, you'll discover there are lots of people out there who won't use Paypal still, especially of my generation (and do I have to say what my generation is LOL).

That said - no matter what shopping cart you use, and whether it can do recurrent billing, it can't do it if your merchant account (or in your case now) paypal, doesn't have it setup to take them (and charge whatever will be required.

As both you and Karen have discussed, there are definitely more hoops to jump through to do so, and rightly so. You don't want chargebacks and neither do the banks. And with the much more stringent rules in place for retaining a customer's information - it really does behoove you to find the right merchant account to handle that - so that you aren't going to be keeping any of that information. If you want to jump through hoops, you'll really be doing so then. :)
                    Beth
                    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Ok.. I checked and paypal WILL allow a recurrent billing with their customized button. I would make a page OFF menu and put this button on it to process it as recurring. I would link to it from your product description, then set up, variations of 3 mos, 6 mos, 12 mos for those who dont want billed monthly.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

I am assuming that paypal then will keep the tracking and personal information on THEIR servers. Believe me I don't really want to keep the information anywhere on my website, due to the responsibility it incurs. Email addy, and/or phone number unfortunately is essential to use newsletters, and security code (password) updates. However, since I've provided mine, I stand to get a lot more phone calls than they are from me!

There won't be bug-related issues, unless it's from the vodahost side of things, I spent the day going through the website with a fine tooth comb using IE, Netscape, Mozilla, and Yahoo browsers, I actually like the look of the site through yahoo.

As for the recurring billing part, I'm really offering four options: Payment by snail mail, monthly recurring, monthly non-recurring, and yearly. Thankfully it's not an adult site. I will be posting it here shortly for forum feedback, as well as soho forums before the advertising campaign begins.

It's coming together nicely, and I have had two web designers comment how streamlined it is.

Back to work, I'll post in this thread if problems arise with the recurrent off-menu page hangup.

P

Comment

Working...
                        X