excel into BV page clarification needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• excel into BV page clarification needed

I have been reading about putting an excel page into a BV page, and I need a reality check on what Ithink I understand:
    Can someone who knows tell me if I have got it right?

Okay, let's say I have an excel page that I want to be part of my site.
    I make it in excel, and then 'save as web page' so it actually saves as a htm or html page in my BV folder.
    Then I FTP it to my public_html folder, and then I can make a direct link to it.

Do I have that right so far?

OKay so here are my questions -
    If I do that what I will have is just the excel file alone, not on a page with my header, menu, etc, right? Can I then link to parts of it?

Here is what I really want to do-
    I want to have a regular page on my site, header, menu, et al, and on that page I want to make a sort of index page that lists categories and allows me to link other pages to the categories - like a spreadsheet that allows me to link particular cells to another page.
    I thought that excel might work for this, but have never used excel along with BV..
    Hope what I am asking is clear..

anyone have any ideas?
    Liz
    www.sebastopolparty.com
    www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Re: excel into BV page clarification needed

Hi Liz... I've worked excel and publisher together.. seems to me that you could put up a gif or jpeg or html of the excel page... then you could place sized transparent images over each text to activate a BV link... seems a bit tedious but it would work...doug

Comment

Liz

Are you by any chance trying to do say a sitemap for visitors? So they can see all the categories etc one page? And all the sub categories? Might be some easier methods to do this....is why I ask

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by dougnez View Post
        Hi Liz... I've worked excel and publisher together.. seems to me that you could put up a gif or jpeg or html of the excel page... then you could place sized transparent images over each text to activate a BV link... seems a bit tedious but it would work...doug
        Thanks Doug.
        I thought about that too, and might end up doing that in the end, but was wondering if there was a simpler way.
        Liz
        www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Mac View Post
          Liz

Are you by any chance trying to do say a sitemap for visitors? So they can see all the categories etc one page? And all the sub categories? Might be some easier methods to do this....is why I ask

Karen
          It is a catalog , but for informational purposes, not online sales, and I need people to be able to find things by product and brand. So there are actually two indexes. The brand one is rather simple, and I can use a text/menu list sort of thing, as there are only 20 or so brands.

But the product one is bigger and has more detail.. so I was thinking excel, because it is a program with which I have some familiarity.

I figured there must be a simpler way, but I consider myself pretty much of a novice at this - you know, a newbie who has been here long enough to have the shine rubbed of..LOL. There is so much I don't know..
          And I am going to need a site map for visitors, too, when all the shoutin' is done.

Got anything up your sleeve?
          Liz
          www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

Liz,

No.. but if you were linking to actually pages on your site etc, then there are sitemap makers that do this for you, and generates the links etc etc. Which is basically doing what you are talking about in excel. However, if you already HAVE it in excel, You can actually MAKE a link in that cell and then format the cell to show the name etc like a text link. You can save it as a web page, and then use an html box and copy and paste everything between the body tags into that html box and it should display as well.

Id actually have to SEE what you are talking about tho to make my numb brain work more specifically this morning.. im still werking on coffee boost.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
            02036089024 / United Kingdom
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Mac View Post
              Liz,

No.. but if you were linking to actually pages on your site etc, then there are sitemap makers that do this for you, and generates the links etc etc. Which is basically doing what you are talking about in excel. However, if you already HAVE it in excel, You can actually MAKE a link in that cell and then format the cell to show the name etc like a text link. You can save it as a web page, and then use an html box and copy and paste everything between the body tags into that html box and it should display as well.

Id actually have to SEE what you are talking about tho to make my numb brain work more specifically this morning.. im still werking on coffee boost.

Karen
              Hi Karen
              I really appreciate your response. I feel so inept when I get to something like this. Since I have it already in excel, or about 70 percent of it anyway, I think I will go ahead and do it that way. I may give you a holler when I get to the point of publishing it, though, if you don't mind.
              Thanks again.
              Liz
              www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

I can help at that point also - just holler if you need it. The important thing - is to make sure it's written in language that the se's will be able to pick up! And that shouldn't be any problem - unless you went the image route.
                Beth
                A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

Originally posted by Bethers View Post
                  I can help at that point also - just holler if you need it. The important thing - is to make sure it's written in language that the se's will be able to pick up! And that shouldn't be any problem - unless you went the image route.
                  Thanks Beth. Your help will be much appreciated.

I should be at that point in a couple of days.. man this is getting pretty exciting..
                  Liz
                  www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

Working...
                  X