PDA

View Full Version : Updating my website

ic3
06-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Hello.

I find I need to update my website quite a few times. Is there way of doing so without having to update each and every page?

Also I would be grateful, if anyone could come up with an effect to way to have a and display a very long list of links. That must appear on each of my pages.

Any help would indeed be of great help

dougnez
06-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Hi... You might look into Hyperlinking section of the forum... different go to drop down menus and stuff like that...I know that Naval has a neat php menu that is the same on all pages ... once updated .. all the pages are updated... If I can find the link I'll post it for you... Might consider a "site map" link or a "links" to take your visitor to a page that has all the links you wish to feature.. Hope that helps... Doug

ic3
06-21-2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks doug,

I have to update my pages and add an extra page almost daily. But each and eary page must be update, i.e the new page and it's link.

If you can find this link It may wel help

Many thanks

dougnez
06-21-2007, 04:47 PM
Hi ic3... You can design your pages so that they share common info and when you update that particular header or footer all pages will show the same info. One way may be to have all pages include/share an I frame.. and in this I-frame the info you regularly change is listed..But I don't know how your site is constructed ..so it's difficult to recommended anything..Doug

larazovich
06-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks doug,

I have to update my pages and add an extra page almost daily. But each and eary page must be update, i.e the new page and it's link.

If you can find this link It may wel help

Many thanks
There is an another excellent way to do this, using php menus instead of iframes, much better from an seo standpoint..
here is the link to the thread where you can download great instructions.
http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/bluevoda-tips-tricks-shortcuts/15764-single-menu-page-bv-php.html?highlight=php+menus

You will have to do some page updating at first but after that all will be soooo much easier..
enjoy

dougnez
06-21-2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks lara... that's the link I was looking for... now I have it...Doug

ic3
06-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Doug if you get a chance take a look at my site. I think iframes would would be the answer, but I have never been able to get it to work.

www.ic3tv.com (http://www.ic3tv.com)

dougnez
06-22-2007, 04:05 PM
HI... Very impressive site... I can see you are already using I-frames.. Which part of the site do wish to make updating easier and consistent for every page?... Doug

ic3
06-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Hi

I wish to use iframe to carry a menu. Isteand of the go menu I am using. Every I try to use it. The iframe sends the rest of the site all funny. Color gets mixed up and the like. Any Ideas.

Collectors-info
06-30-2007, 05:41 PM
Hi Doug, the iframeís is an easy route if youíre not worried about the search engines finding you.
Lizís suggestion on Navals .php method is the best way to go, & once you get used to this method it will save you a lot of time with common page item changes. It will also help with page loading times.
Iframeís are a good way to show ads & images, but not really good for a long term plan.
My site uses the php method, & the top/left side & bottom on most pages is just 1 page. Saves a lot of time when adding an extra page.

Good luck.

ic3
07-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Thank you for your suggestions and consideration. I will look at the .php rout and report back how I got on.

dougnez
07-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Hi ..I suggested Naval's php menu... in my first entry to this thread... but .. I just could not find the link to it...Doug

Collectors-info
07-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Hi ..I suggested Naval's php menu... in my first entry to this thread... but .. I just could not find the link to it...Doug

Ah! Sorry Doug. I havenít been looking at this thread properly. (I'z Getting old) lol.

ic3
07-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Hi Doug

I am nearly there, I have come up with a question. I understand everything about the .php menu. Right up to the point of publishing the page. What name and extension do I give the page with the .php insertion.

Example. If I place the inserted menu into my index page. Do I change my index page from html to php. And do I change my index pageís name to reflect the php.

Collectors-info
07-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Hi, letís say you have made a page up for just your top menu! You could name this page top_munu & give it a .php extension via the page properties box. This page can now be saved & published. (Assuming you have placed the menu on it)

Now! If you want to produce a new index page for your site with the new menu? Make a new page up & leave a space at the top of your page for the top menu html box with the code below inserted in html properties.

<?php
include ("top_menu.php");
top_menu();
?>

Now change the properties of this page to .php & save this page as index then publish.
You should be able to test this page by calling up your main url
So all pages made will have a php extension.

NOTE: If you are not sure on any of this. Save your pages in a new folder on your computer. As you may over write your old pages & delete info that you may need.

Good luck.

ic3
07-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks for this information, but will I now not have an index page???

Collectors-info
07-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Hi, yes! You must have an index page.
Not sure if it any help? But the 1st image is my index page & the gray area around the top/left side & bottoms is my html box with the code for my menus & a few other bits I wanted to add as common items that I will have on every page. These are the items on my menu page. (Image 2)
So when a visitor asks for my index/home page, a split second later my home page will ask the menu page to join together on the same screen. If you put these on top of each other, they would match exactly into this link http://www.collectors-info.com my index/home page.

1st image

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/COLLECTORS-INFO/indexphp.jpg

Image 2

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/COLLECTORS-INFO/indexmenu.jpg

ic3
07-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Ok, I am going to try. Yes the image helps. I will let you know how I get on.

I have dicovered I have a new problem. My website. www.ic3tv.com (http://www.ic3tv.com) is now Firefox friendly. Works OK with IE, but not firefox. Hoe on earth to I solve this problem. May problem is the window player

ic3
07-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Ok, it works like a charm. I now only have two problems.

1. I can't see the php version og my index page.
2. Can I create a php insert with scroll bars.

Collectors-info
07-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Ok, it works like a charm. I now only have two problems.

1. I can't see the php version og my index page.
2. Can I create a php insert with scroll bars.

You may have to delete the html version as the server might be giving this one priority as your index page.
Not sure if it makes any difference? But have you pulled out the html box large enough. (Not sure why you need the scrollbars)

larazovich
07-04-2007, 03:49 PM
yep, you DO have to delete your html version or you won't be able to see your php page at all..

ic3
07-04-2007, 03:57 PM
I need scroll bars becuase the information I wish to carry is a long list. iframes don't work, and it was suggeted this php was a better way to go. I have it working now. But the information i wish to carry, ends up currupted.

www.ic3online.co.uk/enoch.html (http://www.ic3online.co.uk/enoch.html)

is the layout I am trying to end up with. The link I given here is using iframes. you will note it scrolls now a long menu. But when I try to use it messes up the rest ofmy site. so hence I am using the drop menu, untill I get a little help to create what we see on this page.

any I deas on firefox????

Collectors-info
07-05-2007, 06:54 AM
Hi, you would have to do this the same way as it was before, (with iframes) by ether placing it on the main page or in page the area the php calls for.
This method was really for saving time on common items & menus on all pages.

ic3
07-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Hi Chris

I have tried to use the php, with my go menu, but it does not work. it works fine with all other menus.

I seek a way to update my menu, once iframe would have been the answer save it does not seem to work in the Bluevoda enviroment.

Collectors-info
07-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi, I have just been looking through your site & noticed that you don’t have any other pages to link to. IE: everything is a popup. The php is for use if you have a site with multiple pages. Basically, your site only has one page, so the php is not needed. Or is this for another site you are developing.

ic3
07-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Hi

If you look in the drop 'go' menu you will see, where my problem lie. The popup is designed to keep my visitor where they are. but when the wish to watch another video they will select a program. This will take them to another page. Each time I ad another video (i.e. another page) I have to update each and every page to reflect the new information.

I hope that makes more sense.

Collectors-info
07-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Ah! that wasnt there before. I must of been a time when you was working on the php bit.

ic3
07-06-2007, 03:58 PM
The go menu as been there all the time, I am trying to loose them, with your help

ic3
07-21-2007, 02:33 PM
Hi, is there anyway I can remove some of this questions. With shock and horror, I have just noticed one of my questions appears on the msn search engine.

Collectors-info
07-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Hi, No! Anything that is placed on the web can be seen by the whole world.