Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating my website

Hello.

I find I need to update my website quite a few times. Is there way of doing so without having to update each and every page?

Also I would be grateful, if anyone could come up with an effect to way to have a and display a very long list of links. That must appear on each of my pages.

Any help would indeed be of great help

Re: Updating my website

Hi... You might look into Hyperlinking section of the forum... different go to drop down menus and stuff like that...I know that Naval has a neat php menu that is the same on all pages ... once updated .. all the pages are updated... If I can find the link I'll post it for you... Might consider a "site map" link or a "links" to take your visitor to a page that has all the links you wish to feature.. Hope that helps... Doug

Comment

Thanks doug,

I have to update my pages and add an extra page almost daily. But each and eary page must be update, i.e the new page and it's link.

If you can find this link It may wel help

Many thanks

Comment

Hi ic3... You can design your pages so that they share common info and when you update that particular header or footer all pages will show the same info. One way may be to have all pages include/share an I frame.. and in this I-frame the info you regularly change is listed..But I don't know how your site is constructed ..so it's difficult to recommended anything..Doug

Comment

Originally posted by ic3 View Post
          Thanks doug,

I have to update my pages and add an extra page almost daily. But each and eary page must be update, i.e the new page and it's link.

If you can find this link It may wel help

Many thanks
          There is an another excellent way to do this, using php menus instead of iframes, much better from an seo standpoint..
          here is the link to the thread where you can download great instructions.

You will have to do some page updating at first but after that all will be soooo much easier..
          enjoy
          Liz
          www.sebastopolparty.com
          www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

Thanks lara... that's the link I was looking for... now I have it...Doug

Comment

Doug if you get a chance take a look at my site. I think iframes would would be the answer, but I have never been able to get it to work.

www.ic3tv.com

Comment

HI... Very impressive site... I can see you are already using I-frames.. Which part of the site do wish to make updating easier and consistent for every page?... Doug

Comment

Hi

I wish to use iframe to carry a menu. Isteand of the go menu I am using. Every I try to use it. The iframe sends the rest of the site all funny. Color gets mixed up and the like. Any Ideas.

Comment

Hi Doug, the iframe’s is an easy route if you’re not worried about the search engines finding you.
                    Liz’s suggestion on Navals .php method is the best way to go, & once you get used to this method it will save you a lot of time with common page item changes. It will also help with page loading times.
                    Iframe’s are a good way to show ads & images, but not really good for a long term plan.
                    My site uses the php method, & the top/left side & bottom on most pages is just 1 page. Saves a lot of time when adding an extra page.

Good luck.
                    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thank you for your suggestions and consideration. I will look at the .php rout and report back how I got on.

Comment

Hi ..I suggested Naval's php menu... in my first entry to this thread... but .. I just could not find the link to it...Doug

Comment

Originally posted by dougnez View Post
                          Hi ..I suggested Naval's php menu... in my first entry to this thread... but .. I just could not find the link to it...Doug
                          Ah! Sorry Doug. I haven’t been looking at this thread properly. (I'z Getting old) lol.
                          Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi Doug

I am nearly there, I have come up with a question. I understand everything about the .php menu. Right up to the point of publishing the page. What name and extension do I give the page with the .php insertion.

Example. If I place the inserted menu into my index page. Do I change my index page from html to php. And do I change my index page’s name to reflect the php.

Comment

Hi, let’s say you have made a page up for just your top menu! You could name this page top_munu & give it a .php extension via the page properties box. This page can now be saved & published. (Assuming you have placed the menu on it)

Now! If you want to produce a new index page for your site with the new menu? Make a new page up & leave a space at the top of your page for the top menu html box with the code below inserted in html properties.

<?php
                              include ("top_menu.php");
                              top_menu();
                              ?>

Now change the properties of this page to .php & save this page as index then publish.
                              You should be able to test this page by calling up your main url
                              So all pages made will have a php extension.

NOTE: If you are not sure on any of this. Save your pages in a new folder on your computer. As you may over write your old pages & delete info that you may need.

Good luck.
                              Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Working...
                              X