My contact form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My contact form

The site I built there works fine including the contact form. Without exaggerating I've been through the tutorials 15-20 times, I've worked on this problem at least 40 hours and deleted the original site that worked except for the contact form. I rebuilt the site exactly to the tutorial specs, (I thought). I'm sure it's something I did but have no idea what. Does anybody have any suggestions?

donprofit profitinforeclosures.com
    RENT TO OWN A Home With No Qualifying FREE Manual Shows You How. Buy With A Lease Option

Re: How can I fix my contact form

Please post your URL and copy and paste your php script that you are using- here in this thread and we'll take a look at what is going on.

Andy
    PHP- is a blast!

Comment

I misread your reply and set the info to your website. Sorry about that. Here is the info you wanted. My URL is profitinforeclosures.com. This is very bare bones as I didn't want to waste time if it's not going to work.
      Here is the php script I used:
      <?PHP
      $mailto = "don@profitinforeclosures.com";
      $email = $HTTP_POST_VARS[email];
      if ($email == "") {
      $email = $mailto;
      }
      $mailsubj = "Contact Form Submission";
      $mailhead = "From: $email\n";
      reset ($HTTP_POST_VARS);
      $mailbody = "Values submitted from web site form :\n";
      while (list ($key, $val) = each ($HTTP_POST_VARS))
      {
      if ($key!="submit")
      {
      $mailbody .= "$key : $val\n";
      }
      }
      mail($mailto, $mailsubj, $mailbody, $mailhead);
      ?>

Hopefully you can figure it out.

Thanks, Don
      RENT TO OWN A Home With No Qualifying FREE Manual Shows You How. Buy With A Lease Option

Comment

Hey Don-
        Ok- give this a try:

1- Change the action on the form itself to thankyou.php - save and publish

2- copy the code below.
        <?PHP
        $mailto = "don@profitinforeclosures.com";
        $email = $HTTP_POST_VARS['email'];
        if ($email == "")
        {
        $email = $mailto;
        }
        $mailsubj = "Contact Form Submission";
        $mailhead = "From: $email \n";
        reset ($HTTP_POST_VARS);
        $mailbody = "Values submitted from web site form :\n";
        while (list ($key, $val) = each ($HTTP_POST_VARS))
        {
        if ($key!="submit")
        {
        $mailbody .= "$key : $val\n";
        }
        }
        mail($mailto, $mailsubj, $mailbody, $mailhead);
        ?>
        3- Open your thankyou page and click on page properties and go to page html
        In the Beginning Body tag- open that up and paste the above code that you just copied in the box. Save and close that box. Click out and then Save and publish.

That should do it. The problem is that your action was set to "action.php" but you used a thankyou.php page. I could not find an "action.php" page on your site.

Your code was missing the ' ' in ['email'].

Cheers Andy
        PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Re: My contact form

Andy
          That appeared to work, but shouldn't I be able to see a message I sent in my email?
          donprofit

Comment

You added a comment box. However- it is outside the form.

1- delete the comment box.
            2- stretch the form parameters down (make the form longer)
            3-move the submit button down- but keep it on the form
            4-put the comment section back in above the form and name it comments

Save and publish.

Should work then

Andy
            PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Andy,
              It now works, you saved my sanity, Thank You. I wish I'd talked to you a week ago. One more question. I'm planning on giving a report away and I want the people to go to my site and fill in a contact box to email me and get the password or whatever to view the report. Can I put this same form on my index page and if so how? Hopefully the same way with another thank you page? Again thank you.
              Don

Comment

Don-

Yes it is possible. The easiest way to do that would be to have them fill in the contact form and then have an auto reply sent to them with a link to the download. In this manner- you will not have to receive the email and then send a password.

Second choice would be to create a password protected directory and have a web page with a link to the download. Then create the auto reply with the link to that page. In this manner- you could manually change the password to the subdirectory (folder) when ever you wish- thus giving you some control over who downloads it.

The third option would be to create a scriptthat can produce a random password for each entry and a database to store and retrieve it and pass the link along in an email. It is possible- but complicated. Perhaps contract the services of Navaldesign or Watdaflip or even Davidunalicia and see what it would cost to create such a script for you.

Andy
                PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Andy,

The first suggestion is kind of what I had thought about, but I was wondering if the names can be automatically gathered or does that have to be done manually. Could I put another contact form on my index page to do this? Do I have to have a separate thank you page and does the HTML have to be different?
                  I really appreciate your help on this and when I get to be too much of a pest let me know.
                  Thank you.

Don

Comment

No problem at all-glad to help.

That processing script is generic and uses a loop feature to gather all the info from a form. So you could use the same script to process the new form. The new form could have whatever fields you like. I would create another email account and then set up an auto responder that contains the link in the message the download.

When you make your form- simply have it's action set the same as the other form. The only difference in the php script that you use would be a different e-mail address.

If you need further help or explaining- just let me know.

Andy
                    PHP- is a blast!

Comment

One more point- what I mean by using the same script. Simply create another thank you page but name it something different that the original one. Like download_thankyou

Now copy the php script from the old thankyou page and paste it in the new one. Change the e-mail address to the one with the auto-responder message and your done.

On the new form- make sure it has a name that is different from the other form and the action is set to download_thankyou.php

Andy
                      PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Andy,

I can't make it work. I've done it over and over using the instruction you gave. I had the form on my home page and I went ahead and made another contact page and still nothing.

Don

Comment

Ok- well lets look at all three. First- your form looks ok.

Second- I cannot find the contact_thankyou.php page. Make sure you have a page named contact_thankyou and that it has a php extension and that the php code is pasted in the page html in the Begining of Body tag.

Make sure that the contact_thankyou page is published and that the spelling is exactly like that which you have made the action in the form.

Andy
                          PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Andy,

Thank you, it's fixed. It's amazing how well things work when they get straightened out from my screw up.
                            Before you had mentioned an autoreply with a link to the download and also a password protected directory and have a webpage with a link to the download.
                            Could you explain these?
                            Also is there an easy way to automatically save the names and email addresses into an address book or something similar so the list can be mailed to?
                            I really appreciate your taking the time to patiently walk me through the mazes that I seem to create for myself.
                            Again thank you,
                            Don

Comment

Saving the info submitted by the form requires a database (or any other storing system). An easy way to acheive this without any DB coding experience, would be to install Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor which will take care of the database part. Read the thread in the above link.

Regarding the autoreply: if you use ABVFP there is a autoresponder feature that will allow you to include the download link in the autoresponder email that will be sent to the client. Or, if you don't use ABVFP, you can setup an autoresponder in your CP that will send the email to the visitor (with the link included).

Of course, you can include the link simply in your thank you page (action or download_thankyou or what ever else you have called it).
                              Navaldesign
                              Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                              Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                              DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                              Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Working...
                              X