PDA

View Full Version : My contact form

donprofit
06-23-2007, 08:00 PM
The site I built there works fine including the contact form. Without exaggerating I've been through the tutorials 15-20 times, I've worked on this problem at least 40 hours and deleted the original site that worked except for the contact form. I rebuilt the site exactly to the tutorial specs, (I thought). I'm sure it's something I did but have no idea what. Does anybody have any suggestions?

donprofit profitinforeclosures.com

Andy128
06-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Please post your URL and copy and paste your php script that you are using- here in this thread and we'll take a look at what is going on.

Andy

donprofit
06-23-2007, 09:00 PM
I misread your reply and set the info to your website. Sorry about that. Here is the info you wanted. My URL is profitinforeclosures.com. This is very bare bones as I didn't want to waste time if it's not going to work.
Here is the php script I used:
<?PHP
$mailto = "don@profitinforeclosures.com";
$email = $HTTP_POST_VARS[email];
if ($email == "") {
$email = $mailto;
}
$mailsubj = "Contact Form Submission";
$mailhead = "From: $email\n";
reset ($HTTP_POST_VARS);
$mailbody = "Values submitted from web site form :\n";
while (list ($key, $val) = each ($HTTP_POST_VARS))
{
if ($key!="submit")
{
$mailbody .= "$key : $val\n";
}
}
mail($mailto, $mailsubj, $mailbody, $mailhead);
?>

Hopefully you can figure it out.

Thanks, Don

Andy128
06-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Hey Don-
Ok- give this a try:

1- Change the action on the form itself to thankyou.php - save and publish

2- copy the code below.
<?PHP
$mailto = "don@profitinforeclosures.com (don@profitinforeclosures.com)";
$email = $HTTP_POST_VARS['email'];
if ($email == "")
{
$email = $mailto;
}
$mailsubj = "Contact Form Submission";
$mailhead = "From: $email \n";
reset ($HTTP_POST_VARS);
$mailbody = "Values submitted from web site form :\n";
while (list ($key, $val) = each ($HTTP_POST_VARS))
{
if ($key!="submit")
{
$mailbody .= "$key : $val\n";
}
}
mail($mailto, $mailsubj, $mailbody, $mailhead);
?>
3- Open your thankyou page and click on page properties and go to page html
In the Beginning Body tag- open that up and paste the above code that you just copied in the box. Save and close that box. Click out and then Save and publish.

That should do it. The problem is that your action was set to "action.php" but you used a thankyou.php page. I could not find an "action.php" page on your site.

Your code was missing the ' ' in ['email'].

Cheers Andy

donprofit
06-24-2007, 01:11 AM
Andy
That appeared to work, but shouldn't I be able to see a message I sent in my email?
donprofit

Andy128
06-24-2007, 04:26 AM
You added a comment box. However- it is outside the form.

1- delete the comment box.
2- stretch the form parameters down (make the form longer)
3-move the submit button down- but keep it on the form
4-put the comment section back in above the form and name it comments

Save and publish.

Should work then

Andy

donprofit
06-24-2007, 05:38 AM
Andy,
It now works, you saved my sanity, Thank You. I wish I'd talked to you a week ago. One more question. I'm planning on giving a report away and I want the people to go to my site and fill in a contact box to email me and get the password or whatever to view the report. Can I put this same form on my index page and if so how? Hopefully the same way with another thank you page? Again thank you.
Don

Andy128
06-25-2007, 03:37 AM
Don-

Yes it is possible. The easiest way to do that would be to have them fill in the contact form and then have an auto reply sent to them with a link to the download. In this manner- you will not have to receive the email and then send a password.

Second choice would be to create a password protected directory and have a web page with a link to the download. Then create the auto reply with the link to that page. In this manner- you could manually change the password to the subdirectory (folder) when ever you wish- thus giving you some control over who downloads it.

The third option would be to create a scriptthat can produce a random password for each entry and a database to store and retrieve it and pass the link along in an email. It is possible- but complicated. Perhaps contract the services of Navaldesign or Watdaflip or even Davidunalicia and see what it would cost to create such a script for you.

Andy

donprofit
06-25-2007, 07:01 AM
Andy,

The first suggestion is kind of what I had thought about, but I was wondering if the names can be automatically gathered or does that have to be done manually. Could I put another contact form on my index page to do this? Do I have to have a separate thank you page and does the HTML have to be different?
I really appreciate your help on this and when I get to be too much of a pest let me know.
Thank you.

Don

Andy128
06-25-2007, 11:08 AM
No problem at all-glad to help.

That processing script is generic and uses a loop feature to gather all the info from a form. So you could use the same script to process the new form. The new form could have whatever fields you like. I would create another email account and then set up an auto responder that contains the link in the message the download.

When you make your form- simply have it's action set the same as the other form. The only difference in the php script that you use would be a different e-mail address.

If you need further help or explaining- just let me know.

Andy

Andy128
06-25-2007, 11:29 AM
One more point- what I mean by using the same script. Simply create another thank you page but name it something different that the original one. Like download_thankyou

Now copy the php script from the old thankyou page and paste it in the new one. Change the e-mail address to the one with the auto-responder message and your done.

On the new form- make sure it has a name that is different from the other form and the action is set to download_thankyou.php

Andy

donprofit
06-26-2007, 02:14 AM
Andy,

I can't make it work. I've done it over and over using the instruction you gave. I had the form on my home page and I went ahead and made another contact page and still nothing.

Don

Andy128
06-26-2007, 03:43 AM
Ok- well lets look at all three. First- your form looks ok.

Second- I cannot find the contact_thankyou.php page. Make sure you have a page named contact_thankyou and that it has a php extension and that the php code is pasted in the page html in the Begining of Body tag.

Make sure that the contact_thankyou page is published and that the spelling is exactly like that which you have made the action in the form.

Andy

donprofit
06-26-2007, 05:45 AM
Andy,

Thank you, it's fixed. It's amazing how well things work when they get straightened out from my screw up.
Before you had mentioned an autoreply with a link to the download and also a password protected directory and have a webpage with a link to the download.
Could you explain these?
Also is there an easy way to automatically save the names and email addresses into an address book or something similar so the list can be mailed to?
I really appreciate your taking the time to patiently walk me through the mazes that I seem to create for myself.
Again thank you,
Don

navaldesign
06-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Saving the info submitted by the form requires a database (or any other storing system). An easy way to acheive this without any DB coding experience, would be to install Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor (http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/forms/12794-advanced-bluevoda-form-processor.html) which will take care of the database part. Read the thread in the above link.

Regarding the autoreply: if you use ABVFP there is a autoresponder feature that will allow you to include the download link in the autoresponder email that will be sent to the client. Or, if you don't use ABVFP, you can setup an autoresponder in your CP that will send the email to the visitor (with the link included).

Of course, you can include the link simply in your thank you page (action or download_thankyou or what ever else you have called it).

donprofit
06-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Exactly where do I install the Advanced Bluevoda Form Processor? What do you mean by "read the thread in the above link"?
How do I include a link in my thank you page?
I still don't understand links, is there somewhere I can go to study them?
Thanks,
Don

navaldesign
06-26-2007, 09:14 PM
ABVFP is a script (form processor, to be exact) which is installed on your site. Click on the link i posted in my previous post (that is what i mean click on the above link) to get to the Advanced BlueVoda Form processor thread. You can also find the download link there. In the zip that you will download you will also find a full, step by step tutorial, as well as en example form.

However, if you do not understand links, i suggest that you first read the tutorials on links, (which you can find here (http://www.vodahost.com/tut_bluevoda.htm)) and then continue with forms, autoresponders, downloads etc.

donprofit
06-27-2007, 12:40 AM
I got as far as the tutorial and have a stupid question. It says create a folder preferably inside your Bluevoda folder. Where is my BV folder? Give me really basic directions on finding it and then creating a folder inside it.
Next where do I find the public-html folder? Am I supposed to be in the CP all this time?
Thanks,
Don

Andy128
06-27-2007, 01:11 AM
BV folder- Go to My Computer>C drive> Program Files>BV Web builder
That is your BV Folder. Open it- right click in an open blank area and then choose "New Folder"

As to the public_html folder- Yes. This is on the server and it is the first thing presented when you use the FTP Manager.

Andy

donprofit
06-27-2007, 01:35 AM
Andy,
Glad you're back. I can understand your instructions. Got the folder.
Next it says extract all the files inside the same folder. How do I do it? Probably just as simple as the other instruction.
How do I upload the extracted files to the folder inside the public_html folder?
How do I create the database in the CP?
Thanks,
Don

Andy128
06-27-2007, 02:21 AM
Extract- If your using windows XP- you can simply right click and choose extract files. IF not- then you will have to use a zip file extraction program. Also- sometimes simply double clicking on a file will trigger the auto extract. Then choose the folder to extract it to.

Check tutorial for using the BLUE FTP (FTP Manager) to upload files to the server.
http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/saving-naming-previewing-publishing/9366-how-use-blueftp.html

Creating the DB. I have not used the ABVFP and really cannot direct you with that. Sorry.

Andy

navaldesign
06-27-2007, 05:15 AM
Don,

VodaHost has set up a full series of tutorials on "How to" . Everything that you have been asking is explained in these tutorials, which are here (click on the link) (http://www.vodahost.com/tut_bluevoda.htm) . Please take some time to read those tutorials.

The database creation tutorial, in particular, is here: http://www.vodahost.com/images/small_camera1.gif (http://www.vodahost.com/DemoDemo/cpanel_xskin/cpanel_xskin_mysql.htm)Creating a MySQL database (click on the image)

donprofit
06-27-2007, 05:32 AM
I'm trying to extract the parts of a zip file to a folder that I created in the BlueVoda folder. After I right clicked on the zip page and chose extract it said to choose a folder to extract to. I assume it's talking about the one I created in the BV folder, if so how do I choose it and put the extracted files in it?
Thanks,
Don

Andy128
06-27-2007, 02:22 PM
In general- when it asks which folder to extract to, it will provide a browse button close by to let you select a folder.

Andy

donprofit
06-27-2007, 09:24 PM
I thought I was doing pretty good with the Advance BV Form Processor when I ran into this in the tutorial.
1. For the configuration file creator-This is the file "ndadmin1.php" Simply upload it on your server. No editing is required. How do I find it & upload it?
2. For the help file-open the ndadminhelp.bvp on your computer. Where do I find this?
Thanks,
Don

Andy128
06-27-2007, 10:21 PM
Don-
Here is a link to all the Blue Voda tutorials. These cover almost every topic about web building with the BV Web Builder.
http://www.vodahost.com/tut_bluevoda.htm

Here is the video tutorial specific to what you are asking.
http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/saving-naming-previewing-publishing/9366-how-use-blueftp.html

For your benefit and edification- grab a large pot of coffee and sit through the tutorials. This will help you a great deal. You will become much more proficient by doing this and will be less frustrated. Then use the forum to fill in the gaps.

Cheers-

Andy

navaldesign
06-27-2007, 11:05 PM
I thought I was doing pretty good with the Advance BV Form Processor when I ran into this in the tutorial.
1. For the configuration file creator-This is the file "ndadmin1.php" Simply upload it on your server. No editing is required. How do I find it & upload it?
2. For the help file-open the ndadminhelp.bvp on your computer. Where do I find this?
Thanks,
Don

Which tutorial is this ?

ABVFP has been updated some months ago in version 2.0. The one that you are mentioning are relevant to the old, deprecated version 1. Please let me know if still some forgotten link or tutorial exists so i can delete it / update it to the new version.

The correct download is ONLY in http://www.dbtechnosystems.com/free_abvfp.php And, the tutorial is included in the zip.

donprofit
06-28-2007, 12:33 AM
It looks like I was using the old one. Do I have to start over or is some of what I did OK? The error page for instance. I worked on the old one most of the day so anything I can save would be good.
Thanks,
Don

navaldesign
06-28-2007, 06:21 AM
The error page is ok. The same for the thank you page. In the contact form itself, the only thing that needs changing is the hidden field name (it was "ndpage", and its value was the page name, now it has become "Formid" and its value is the FormID number that ABVFP gives you when you setup that particular form). Everything else has to be changed.

The script itself is completely changed: both the main file as well as the auxiliary files. So, whilst the pages you build (form, errorpage, thank you page) have only minor or no change at all, the script itself has to be installed from scratch.

donprofit
06-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Where in the contact form do I find the hidden field? I don't see a "ndpage". You say everthing else has to be changed. Like what? I assume I need to go back to the tutorial and start from the beginning of it to make sure I've got everything.

navaldesign
06-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Yes. reading the tutorial would be a nice idea.

About the hidden field: in BV double click the form, and in the form properties Dialog Box you will see the hidden field in the lower window.

donprofit
06-29-2007, 05:06 AM
What's problem now? I went through the installation instructions in the tutorial and when I put the link in the browser I got the word FORBIDDEN
saying I don't have permission to access /ABVFP/dbts_install.php on this server. There was also a 404 not found error.
Don

navaldesign
06-29-2007, 05:20 AM
probably a permissions issue with your folder. Connect with FTP and check the the permissions of the entire ABVFP folder as well as the permissions of the files in it. The folder should be 755 and the files 644. If they are not, manually change them to he correct.

donprofit
06-29-2007, 06:57 AM
I changed the permissions to what you said and nothing changed. I'm really getting tired of playing with this. What would you charge me to get this straightened out? I'm about ready to dump the whole thing so let me know ASAP.
Don

navaldesign
06-29-2007, 07:29 AM
Please visit http://www.dbtechnosystems.com/free_abvfp.php , read the text (its all written there) and click on "Require Installation Service".

donprofit
06-29-2007, 08:29 PM
Before I go through your form I'd like to know if it will do what I want once I get it loaded. I don't want to pay for something that doesn't.
Will I be able to use a form on my home/index page?
Will the names and URL's I get on the form go into the database where I can work with them? Such as put them on a list to mail to. I specifically want to use it for list building and affiliate marketing.
I understand it costs $20 to load in on form. If I need more to do what I need done what am I looking at in cost?
Don

Andy128
06-29-2007, 08:45 PM
Don-
Please conduct business with Navaldesign via his website.

http://www.dbtechnosystems.com/

Andy

navaldesign
06-29-2007, 09:08 PM
This is NOT the place to discuss details, as this would be a private transaction. Please use my contact form and i will gladly answer your questions.

donprofit
06-30-2007, 05:57 AM
How do I completely delete a page on my website?
How do I rename a page on my website?
Don

Watdaflip
06-30-2007, 07:28 AM
You can change name or delete a file through the file manager in cPanel, or using a FTP

donprofit
06-30-2007, 07:49 AM
Thank you that was easy.
How about this one from the ABVFP tutorial. "Upload all the extracted files in this ABVFP folder". Are they talking about the ones in File Manager? If so how do I upload them into the ABVFP folder? If these aren't the ones which ones are?
Don

Watdaflip
06-30-2007, 08:10 AM
I'm not familiar with ABVFP, but it's probably saying upload the files that you downloaded (The actual ABVFP files) to the website.

navaldesign
06-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Yes, excactly. It says to upload the files you extracted from the zip into the ABVFP folder on your site.

donprofit
06-30-2007, 08:30 PM
Am I supposed to be uploading files on the CP or my site?
Am I even supposed to be in CP at this state of the tutorial? If not how do I get the File Manager to connect to my site? I've read the tutorial on ABVFP many time and each time I get a little more confused. Is there a simpler version anywhere?
I'm still not clear on uploading, how do it do it?
Don

navaldesign
06-30-2007, 08:46 PM
Don, you are missing some basic knowledge. Please read the tutorials about FTP use and File manager use.

CP is just a panel that allowes you to manage your website. You do not (ever) upload anything on your CP, you upload the files in your site.

FTP (the one which comes free with BV is called BlueFTP) is for File Transfer Protocol. Generally speaking, by FTP we mean some software that allowes to transer files from your computer to your site (upload) or from the site to your computer (download). When we say "FTP your files to the site" we mean "upload the files to the site".

The ABVFP files need to be uploaded on your site to work.
To acheive this, please follow these simple steps:

1. Open BV.
2. Click on Tools, > FTP Manager.
3. When BlueFTP open up, Click on Connect, provide your IP address, username and password (as you do when you publish) and click "Connect".
4. Blue FTP will connect to your site. The following is only valid if you have not yet created the "ABVFP" folder in your site: Right click in ANY white space in the right hand window, and select New Folder . In the popup type ABVFP . So a folder named ABVFP will be created on your site. Double click on the newly created folder (you will find it at the very bottom of the right hand window) to open it. Of course, it is still empty, so no content will appear in it.
5. Now browse the LEFT window (your computer content) to find the folder ABVFP where you have extracted the files of the zip. Select the folder, and it's content will appear. Select the files (all of them, but not the subfolders) and just drag them to the right window, inside the site ABVFP folder.
6. You can now go on with installing ABVFP according to the instructions.

donprofit
07-01-2007, 06:18 AM
Thank you for all the information. That answered a lot of questions for me. I'll try to quit bothering you for awhile.
Don