X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to protect images....

This is my wesbite

On this page

youc an see I've uploaded an item to the shopping cart, its a birthday invitation I custom create. Now when you click the image it open up full sized or close too it. he actual files that are sent to customers are MUCH higher resolution...anyway. I want to protect the image from being copied by other people, especially since they are pictures of children and specifically my own...does anyone know how I can do this?

Re: How to protect images....

Its not possible, if you don't want people to download an image then you can't put it on the internet.

There are ways to make it harder for people to copy. But no matter what you do to make it harder people can always do a print screen, which takes a picture on the computer of whatever is shown on the monitor, which you can't prevent.

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

While there does not appear to be a foolproof way of protectiing your pics/artwork, consider editing each and writing "Copyright" or "Sample" or your domain on them.
      Another tip, when visitors click on the image to enlarge, rather than using the same color image, change it to the same image but in black & white.
      Bill
      www.blueearthtea.com
      www.ftaaconsulting.com
      www.iaval.com
      www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

thats what I just did. I amde the thumbnails regular and when the picstures enlarge int he shopping cart they have SAMPLE across them

Comment

Naleenasmom,

Focus on why you set up the website in the first place!
          You want to sell your products, then concentrate on selling your products.

Think of your sales and customers first.

You want to sell and I might want to buy, but I want to see your products first before I buy. If your photos are to small, they are not ***** and clear and not attractive enough, Then I will not buy.

Forget about people stealing your photos and such and concentrate on sales and customer satisfaction instead.

Don't waste your time protecting your photos. If the thief has the will, he will find a way.
          www.siapamoyanganda.com/
          Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
          State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

i have it setup where they click on the small thumbnails through the shopping cart feature and they in turn enlarge to the higher quality photos. I only asked becuase here are many sites that do what I do where when someone goes to right click on the picture it will not permit it....

Comment

Doing the no right click is unprofessional - and will not stop anyone from not being able to take the picture. Anything that can be done on the mouse - can be done by using the keyboard - and no right click doesn't stop the same actions on a keyboard.

Also- if you don't want people to have it - don't put it online, basically. Unless you have copyrighted photographs, or artwork, etc - what is there about your product pictures that would be so bad if someone DID take one for something? I just had a product pic from my website that someone copied and put on their blog - and guess what - I discovered it when the first person came from there and ordered. I certainly don't want them to not do that :)

As Zuriatman stated - what is important to you- sales - or the few who might "borrow" a picture? (I don't know your website, but there are very few out there that have pictures where I'd be concerned about other's using them.)
              Beth
              A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
              SEO - The Basics

Comment

As said on previous posts, you basically can’t stop this. The only thing that will help is using low res images to help stop printing, & you can now get what I can only describe as image DNA. Which is a way of introducing electronic code into the image that is ni on impossible to remove. This enables you to say that it is your image, but still will not stop the copying.
                On another note! Your images are massive in kb’s & are really slowing the page loading times down.
                What is happening? Is you are using on some pictures, 2000kb images & theses should really be about 60-100kb max. Soho will take a 100kb image & give a nice thumbnail of about 10-15kb.
                But if you are using 2meg images, the thumbnails are going to be 250-300kb each & will bog the page down so much that buyers will just leave.
                IE: this page http://www.yourlittlestinker.com/ind...y_Announcement has about 3/4meg with only 4 thumbnails.

Good luck.
                Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

thank you Chris, I am in the process of downsizing the thumbnail images. The larger view images I have left larger for detail purposes on the cards. When I reduced the size of the large preview images they became distorted and fuzzy, but I am reducing the thumbnail images :) Thank you for your help.

On another note...I dont feel installing a right click option is unprofessional. I create cards to sell, not for other designers to steal. In fact, those out there right clicking and stealing images are the ones that are unprofessional. Anyway, I've reduced the size of the larger preview items this way even if they copy them, other deisgners wont be able to use them as intended.

Comment

Its unprofessional because disabling right click doesn't work in all cases. If you were to have right click disabled on your site I could just view the source code for the site, find the images in it, save them, and disabling right click isn't going to stop that.

But on the other hand, if say someone wants to right click and bookmark your page, they can't because right click is disabled. Or if they accidentally right click they have the annoyance of having to then click on the prompt to close it every time.

Not to mention its very easy to disable your disable right click. One can just disable javascript on their browser and bam, your right click disable script doesn't work anymore. Or if they use firefox or any other browser that allows users to install addons, I can install either an extension that lets me disable portions of javascript, or all the javascript on a selected site on my browser. Or I could just edit the html code that is used to display on my browser, and just edit out the javascript to disable the right click.

Basically it is unprofessional because less then 1% of the people who are going to view your site are there to steal something, and the other 99% will have to put up with the disable right click. And if that 1% knows anything about a browser or how a webpage works, the disable right click isn't going to stop them at all. So it will just be an annoyance, thats why its unprofessional

Register/Login Script
                    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Working...
                    X