Jalbum Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jalbum Questions

I am not sure just how I did this, but I have somehow lost about a hundred pages of a website I have been working on.
    It has something to do with either:
    me screwing around with JAlbum and creating another file in my cpanel, and then aborting the album creation mid stream -
    or
    me using ccleaner for the first time and blowing it badly..

In any case, I did a search and it looks like I still have all the bvp files from the other two websites of mine, but none from the biggest and most complicated one site - In the cpanel the .html and .php files are there; just not the .bvp on my hard drive.

Can someone help me before I beat my head to a bloody pulp against the monitor? What do I need to do? I am blown away....
    Liz
    www.sebastopolparty.com
    www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Re: lost lots of files..

Liz, try doing a system restore to a time before this happened and see if you get them back.

But, first, did you check your deleted files - if they are in there - but you didn't clear them out - you just might have to move them back.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Originally posted by Bethers View Post
      Liz, try doing a system restore to a time before this happened and see if you get them back.

But, first, did you check your deleted files - if they are in there - but you didn't clear them out - you just might have to move them back.
      Thanks Beth. Checked my deleted files and they weren't there. I was too freaked out to do a system restore, thinking that I might somehow erase any trace of them....and I would be horrified if I undid any chance to get them back..anyway, I ended up taking the HD down to my computer guy to run a recovery program and see if he could find them. He has saved my butt on two other occasions when I fried hard drives, so I am hoping he can save it again. I will know in the morning.
      Meanwhile and just in case that doesn't work, isn't there a way to import the html or php pages back from the control panel into the sitebuilder? Seems I remember somewhere I read that.. How do I do that? And how much do I lose that way?
      Liz
      www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

Yes, you can do that. It will require some fixing on every page though - so you don't want to have to do it if it's not necessary.

Now, I know you don't want to hear this - but you MUST start using an external device to back up all your important files. I simply use usb flash drives - so small - so convenient - and about once a week, I put it in - copy all those files over.

Then, if something like this happened - you'd not have the work you'd done/changes, etc since the last time you saved - but you'd have most of it. And if you do major changes - take the few minutes to back up immediately. When I was at a business - we backed up daily during the slow time of year - 3 times daily during the busy time - so we couldn't lose at much.

I hope your computer guy can find it for you. I would be very surprised if he couldn't.

Oh, and don't be afraid of a system restore. If you restore to an earlier point and it doesn't work - you can always restore back to where you were. I've never heard of a system restore causing problems. Only thing it can do is remove new programs installed and cause you to have to reinstall. I've used it many, many times for various reasons.
        Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

Originally posted by Bethers View Post
          Yes, you can do that. It will require some fixing on every page though - so you don't want to have to do it if it's not necessary.

Now, I know you don't want to hear this - but you MUST start using an external device to back up all your important files. I simply use usb flash drives - so small - so convenient - and about once a week, I put it in - copy all those files over.

Then, if something like this happened - you'd not have the work you'd done/changes, etc since the last time you saved - but you'd have most of it. And if you do major changes - take the few minutes to back up immediately. When I was at a business - we backed up daily during the slow time of year - 3 times daily during the busy time - so we couldn't lose at much.

I hope your computer guy can find it for you. I would be very surprised if he couldn't.

Oh, and don't be afraid of a system restore. If you restore to an earlier point and it doesn't work - you can always restore back to where you were. I've never heard of a system restore causing problems. Only thing it can do is remove new programs installed and cause you to have to reinstall. I've used it many, many times for various reasons.
          Thanks for that about the system restore. I think I knew that once, but went into this hyper-careful-don't-touch-anything mode as an alternative to freaking out.

And I sure don't mind hearing about the external device. Man, I need to be reminded..

The ironic thing is that I have an external HD that I bought to use to avoid just this kind of situation, after the last crises.
          But do I use it regularly? No. What a goober I am.. lazy lazy goober..

However, will I use it in the future? You bet I will. I am so not going through this again..

Thick skulled though I am, I eventually do learn...

thanks again, Beth
          Liz
          www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

LOL - I'm sitting here trying to remember the last time I saved to my external - so I know exactly what you mean. It has to become a habit - or it's too easy to forget.

Good luck with this, Liz.
            Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

If I may jump in............a lot of the external HD's today come with backup software built in. So simply pick a time and day and it will auto back-up.

If not- try the Windows Back UP utility. Windows comes with a back-up program. It is not installed by default. You will have to put your system disc or OS disc in and download it and install it. But it actually works very well. Take a look here;

Cheers-
              Andy
              PHP- is a blast!

Comment

this sounds wierd for 100 pages to vanish. if they are not in your recycle bin, maybe they are just hidden?

How are you searching for your .bvp pages? Where?
                Robert
                www.GraphXntrix.com
                Your Visual Revolution Solution

Comment

Hi Robert.
                  did the start search *.bvp and included hidden files. Nothing there for that site, only all for my other two sites were there.

My suspicion is that is it had something to do with JAlbum
                  I kow that sounds wierd but here is the thing. I haven't used jabum in awhile and it has been updated. And I haven't been able to make it work since the update, got too frustrated with it, and moved on to alternative album making programs.
                  So yesterday I decided to try it again, and I couldn't get it to upload the pics for the album I was making, something about no directory in public_html to put it to. SO I made a file under public_html in my Cp and then tried to upload the pictures for the labum. It started uploading like 2000 files instead of the usual 60 or so and I freaked out because it was uploading all kinds of wierd stuff so I stopped the upload, aborted it.
                  Now, I think that is where the files went missing..
                  I should mention that this is a different CP than for the other two sites - this is a site I am building for my friend, his account, his CP. I keep his files in myBV folder under his site name, usually no biggie as I am careful to keep all seperate.
                  Anyway that is the story..
                  I am counting the minutes until I can call my guy to see if he retrieved stuff for me..
                  Liz
                  www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

okay, i suppose that I would have to say that I am not familiar with JAlbum. Well, now I am, lol...just read the manual really quick.

So, I guess the next question I have is...

Where did you want the album to go - your website or his?*

*I ask this because you said you made a file(i'm guessing you meant folder) in public_html in YOUR cPanel, but then you mentioned that it was his cPanel and account you were working with with.

Also, what really baffles me is that it's a photo album creator...for image files. Uh, sorry, but I really must ask this - did you try to "Publish", using jAlbum, an album by selecting a FOLDER of images? perhaps that folder ALSO may have contained those .bvp files?

again, I'm confused

what website did you attempt the upload to?

check the "www" folder of the account you attempted this on...instead of the public_html folder.

Also, when publishing using jAlbum, when you connect to the server that you want your album to publish to - jAlbum will show all available directories, etc. that are on the server..similar to BlueFTP. So, if you have lots of files and pages published, then perhaps it wasn't uploading 2000 files...rather it was simply listing all the files on the server?

This is a very intriguing predicament, indeed.
                    Robert
                    www.GraphXntrix.com
                    Your Visual Revolution Solution

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                      okay, i suppose that I would have to say that I am not familiar with JAlbum. Well, now I am, lol...just read the manual really quick.

So, I guess the next question I have is...

Where did you want the album to go - your website or his?*
                      His website, his CP.
                      I am trying to remember correctly - I believe I was trying to upload the images to the folder that I had made in public_html.
                      *I ask this because you said you made a file(i'm guessing you meant folder) in public_html in YOUR cPanel, but then you mentioned that it was his cPanel and account you were working with with.

Also, what really baffles me is that it's a photo album creator...for image files. Uh, sorry, but I really must ask this - did you try to "Publish", using jAlbum, an album by selecting a FOLDER of images? perhaps that folder ALSO may have contained those .bvp files?
                      Yes I did select a folder in which I had placed the images I wanted to use.
                      again, I'm confused

what website did you attempt the upload to?

check the "www" folder of the account you attempted this on...instead of the public_html folder.
                      No joy there
                      Also, when publishing using jAlbum, when you connect to the server that you want your album to publish to - jAlbum will show all available directories, etc. that are on the server..similar to BlueFTP. So, if you have lots of files and pages published, then perhaps it wasn't uploading 2000 files...rather it was simply listing all the files on the server?

This is a very intriguing predicament, indeed.
                      I agree.
                      But I have to say, Robert you have given me an idea.. I wonder if this happened: The folder from which I wanted to upload was called pond and the folder I think it was uploading was called pond and garden.. I wonder if it autocompleted the name of the folder and I just didn't notice ?
                      Hmm.. IN any case, I just got a call from my computer guy and he managed to retrieve all the files, which he said were indeed deleted.. So naturally I am thrilled, although I surely would love to know how the heck I managed to do that....
                      Liz
                      www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

Hi - sorry to hear about the problem but delighted to hear it is now okay - as soon as i finish this post i am going to back up on my external - we all need to get in that practice.
                        p.s. i havent been able to get jalbum to work since the upgrade either
                        Ann
                        www.MovingOn1.com - My Travel
                        www.BeadedCustomDesigns.com - Jewelry
                        www.FantasyManorArtStudio.com - Leather Art

Comment

Originally posted by asirimarco View Post
                          Hi - sorry to hear about the problem but delighted to hear it is now okay - as soon as i finish this post i am going to back up on my external - we all need to get in that practice.
                          p.s. i havent been able to get jalbum to work since the upgrade either
                          Yep that is my new mantra - backup backup backup, and when in doubt, backup LOL
                          I thought I had figured it out, JAlbum, I mean, and then this happened.
                          I am going to try again, maybe....LOL
                          Darn it, I liked that program..
                          Liz
                          www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

"Spookie" has emerged once again.....there have been many recent "problems" with regard to JAlbum going AWOL (it is still available free on the web) and as well as some nifty CRM CMS utilities, and even more disturbingly files/pages/content disappearing even after properly Saving and Publishing using the newest BV versions.

Andy is quite right, though, in pointing out that even the newer computers must have the archiving tools "activated" to be of any reliable assurance, and that it is just one element of responsible Users knowing and configuring their systems properly from the get-go.
                            (Another hint is to have an external drive perform timely unique and separate backups on a tight schedule regardless of our attention spans!)
                            . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                            * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Re: Jalbum Questions

Just thought I'd let you all know - got my computer back this morning, and my guy managed to retrieve 92 of the 138 lost files. Not perfect, but way better than none. It is curious to me where the others went..the ones that are missing are not one after another by creation or publication date or alpha listing.. just seem to be random..
                              Anyways I am begining the rebuild process with imported html from online existing pages. good exercise for me, I think.
                              And yes Beth, I am backing up, backing up, backing up..LOL
                              Liz
                              www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

Working...
                              X