My first site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first site

Here is my very first website. Built without knowing a single thing last week. There have been a few frustrating moments during that period, but the wonderfull support forums have helped me through. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Oh, I hate 800 width (do people still use that?) Its still very much a work in progress, but I think I am well on my way.

www.michellekingabuse.com

Re: My first site

I applaud you for the topic of your website & what it is tryng to achieve .. it takes guts and courage to tell the truth and help break abusive cycles ...

Well done ... you are off to a great start ... a couple of things ... the text is really close to the edge of the boxes ... I would consider bringing the edges in a bit ...

Yes ... most of us stick to the 800 width ... also consider centering your pages ... you can do this by right click in on an empty part of your page & click on page properties then check the centre page box ...

General comment ... there are massive blocks of text the reader will have trouble concentrating on to read all the way through ... maybe consider breaking the text up more with headings to direct your reader through ...

Noticed a few spelling mistakes but overall ... well done! Be proud of what you are doing 'cos it could help many others ...
    kym, merlin & tala
    creating white majick
    www.whiteshepherds.com.au
    www.unitedwhiteshepherds.com.au
    www.merlinsmajick.com
    www.kymdunbar.com

Comment

Good Job, don't take it down...Leave it up
      Sharon Chajin

Comment

AWESOME SITE, especially for a 1st timer who's like you said, "Built without knowing a single thing last week." GREAT JOB!!! Keep up the good work and don't let the message die
        Where's Your Life Going? You might find some help here: http://www.ourjourneytolife.com/banners3.html
        Who is Pristinelife? http://ourjourneytolife.com/aboutme.html

Comment

Thanks everyone. Yeah, the text boxes bug me too. Trying to figure out how to create a space on the edges. Its just a regular colored text box aligned to the left, and no matter how much I drag it around its too close to the edges. The only thing I can figure out is if I create a shape the same color and a little bit larger and put my text box in there I can simulate a space. There has to be something im missing or an easier way to do it though.
          As soon as I get the details worked out I will have to hit up on Bethers (after rereading her Ebook on SEO again of course) as I am still a little fuzzy on all that. But hey 1 thing at a time I guess.

Comment

Nice work. Tough subject, but kudos for having the guts to do it.

May I ask where you got your forum from? Is that the one in Fantistico in our control panel?

Thanks...and all the best to you.

Comment

Well done Jamie, definately leave it up. The content caught me, so it was'nt a site crit as such. I'll revisit and hopefully make some sugestions.

Great start, in such a short time.

Cheers,
              Andrew

sigpic

Port Elizabeth Web Design Solutions
              Latest Release: Eastern Cape Hunting Safaris
              Work In Progress Cape Town Dietician
              BlueVoda Web Design Portfolio

Comment

Thanks Preston. Yes, thats the forum from Fantastico. I threw a theme on it, but havent had time to edit the Phpbbtheme part at the top out of it yet.

PlayItByBeer love your work. I think that was one of the very first posts I looked at when I started. Did you know your Custom Templates link at www.froggdesigns.com doesnt work?

Comment

Thanks for the heads up...if all goes well I'll finish the project I'm busy on later this week and then I can finally finish my own site.

Cheers,
                  Andrew

sigpic

Comment

Jamie,

Stick your website address into your signature, Google and the other SE's go through VH a couple of times a day and it helps with the amount of page/link listings your site has.

Cheers,
                    Andrew

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the support. Got a lively discussion going on my Comments page now. I still wonder sometimes if the Real Emails section went a little too far. Anyone care to comment about that?

Comment

Working...
                      X