Adding a Favicon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a Favicon

I asked yesterday, but did not get a response therefore I will ask again.
    My name is Joe and my site is www.comic-art-ink.com and I am having trouble adding a favicon to my site. I found a creator program, generated an icon and dowloaded it to my hard-drive. I checked on another thread on this support site and found it helpful, but not detailed enough to get me over the hump! I know I need to upload my image to my website, but don't understand where it goes?!? I found that you also have to add the code in between the <head>, but I'm not sure if I have the right code. Can anyone please shed some light on this slightly dim bulb?
    Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Joe

Re: Still having problems with adding a Favicon

Well Joe,

Seeing as we dont have the code, we cant tell you a thing about it. Yes it goes in your head tags, yes you have to upload the pic, and you will have to edit the code to wherever you happen to upload it to, be it just in the directory or inside an image folder. Try putting it in there and see.

You do know this only WORKS on IE, and then only part of the time? No other browser supports it.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

We were watching soccer Brazil-Uruguay.

Click here to read more about Favicons.
      Bill
      www.blueearthtea.com
      www.ftaaconsulting.com
      www.iaval.com
      www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

This is the code I put between the head tags:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" >

I right clicked on my index page, went to html and clicked the "between the head" tab and inserted the code above. Is that correct?

Now, can you be as specific as possible as to where the image goes? On my web pages, or in the FTP directory? Where, oh where does my little image go... oh where, oh where does it gooooo...?!? lol

Thanks for you help.

Joe

Comment

Re: Adding a Favicon

Joe: I put my code in my page html "Between Head Tag" at the very beginning.
          <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" />

I only put the code on my index page. The image I just uploaded via the bv ftp manager and put it in the same folder that I have my index page and of course named it, favicon.ico.

It seems like it took almost a week before I started seeing it show up. Others I've talked to, still don't see it, even using IE. Ever since it finally showed up on my browser, I do see it all the time now. But as Karen says, it may only work sometimes.

Hope this helps!
          Cindy Smentowski

Comment

Test in Firefox, quite often favicons will not show in IE, seems to depend on individual pc configuration.
            Bill
            www.blueearthtea.com
            www.ftaaconsulting.com
            www.iaval.com
            www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

They show in Firefox now? They didnt use to!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Sho Nuff in the google tool bar they do! See ya can teach an old dog new tricks!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

I truly hate sounding dumb, but I cannot for the absolute life of me figure out where to put it! ARRRGGGHHH! "In the folder where my index page is"... my index page doesn't have a folder!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!? Am I just that dense or what, can you please explain it step by step, by baby step. For you see I am a bit touched with s l o w...
                  Help, me please :(

Comment

Joe: No, it may be my explanation of where to upload the image. You see, in my public_html I have various subfolders set up for various websites. So if you only have the one website, then you would just upload it to your public_html. Otherwise you would want to put in the folder that has all of your website files if you had one.

1. Open up blue voda webbuilder
                    2. Select Tools and FTP Manager from the top menu
                    3. Connect to the FTP Manager
                    4. Find your favicon.ico image over on the left (Your computer)
                    5. Click and drag it over to the right side into your public_html. (Which is where you should also see your index page)
                    6. Disconnect

Thats it. There are other ways to do it through your control panel, but this is the easy way for me to explain.

Let us know if you get it done, OK!
                    Cindy Smentowski

Comment

Thanks for all your help, I've done all that you've suggested and it appears to have worked. I checked it via the following website: http://www.html-kit.com/favicon/validator/

I cannot see it on my own computer, but I can't see alot of the images and such from my own website on the computer that I have Voda on.

Anyway, if any of you get a chance check my site and see if the favicon appears and let me know, I would greatly appreciate it.
                      Thanks a bunch!

Joe

www.comic-art-ink.com

Comment

Working...
                      X