Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sitemap help please? For a total novice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sitemap help please? For a total novice...

I've built my site, checked my links, and with good search engine ranking in mind, I've got myself a xml sitemap. I've saved it for now, but then what? Where do I put it? Any advice grately appreciated, but please assume I'm a four year old and explain it to me as such!!! Many thanks.[img]images/icons/icon11.gif[/img]

Hi,

Simply ftp it to the route of the domain, ie public_html/ for your main domain or public_html/subdomain if its an add on domain. Then go to google sitemap submit page and enter the url to submit ..ie www.yourwebsite.com/sitemap.xml

Bear in mind that Google are taking a long time to register websites at present, something has gone haywire with their indexing lately ... is Google in a pickle???

Paul
    Oscommerce sites : www.nutritionzone.co.uk
    www.aromaskincare.co.uk
    www.thebirthbox.com

Comment

Hi,

Forgot to say, nice website and well done. But before you upload your sitemap you need to title each page, you do this by right clicking anywhere on the page and the box will come up with a part to enter your page title. I find that a good way to do this is as follows,

www.yourdomain | keyword | keyword | Keyword

Do this for each page of your website. The next tab along is for you to enter metatags (search engines pick up on these) see the voda video for this, it tells you how to use the keyword digger tool also.

One last thing that will help you register well with search engines is by placing this following code ( thanks to maddog for this) between the "head tags" for each page. You do this by going to .. view > page html > then select between header tags, just copy and paste this code in and change the "your name" text to your website name. Then just publish each page in the normal way

<meta NAME="RESOURCE-TYPE" CONTENT="DOCUMENT">
      <meta NAME="DISTRIBUTION" CONTENT="GLOBAL">
      <meta NAME="COPYRIGHT" CONTENT="Copyright (c) 2005 by Your Name">
      <meta NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="INDEX, FOLLOW">
      <meta NAME="RATING" CONTENT="GENERAL">
      <meta name="revisit-after" content="14 Days">
      <meta name="language" content="English">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1253">

Paul
      Oscommerce sites : www.nutritionzone.co.uk
      www.aromaskincare.co.uk
      www.thebirthbox.com

Comment

Working...
      X