Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• image problem

Hi,

I'm developing a website for someone and they complain that when they save the website, the images do not work. Apparently they are "not a valid bmp/rle format".

Trouble is, I do not have the same problem when I save the website (the images save fine with it). Also, this person had no problem downloading and viewing the images online when visiting the website (the problem arose when it was saved).

An example of the images (which I made in Paint) is here: http://www.chemrefer.com/microscal/sr40b.bmp

Do you have any ideas as to why they could be having a problem when I do not?

Re: image problem

Hi, not sure on the reason. But couldn’t you just convert it to jpg. It will also give the advantage of only being 14kb instead of 44kb. BMP has never been that great for web pages.

Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi,
      Thanks for feedback. That's a good idea. Unfortunately when I save as JPG the image can (soemtimes) lose quality which is why I go for BMPs (though they are ridiculously big file sizes as you say).

What is odd about this problem is how some people seem to have it while others don't and only when the website is 'saved as' for viewing offline whereas online viewing is problem-free.

Comment

Jenny,

I use a few different Photo Editor Software in my PC. It is because over the years I had bought a few scanners, printers and cameras and these photo software came with them free.

What happened to your bitmap images also happened to my JPEG photos.
        Funny thing only my Photoshop software could open the affected photos.
        So I usually open them in Photoshop and resaved as Jpeg again using photoshop. When the JPEG Option window pops up I could see there 3 format options. Only the standard options if used will enable other browsers to view the photos. If the optimized format option is chosen it can only be viewed in photoshop.

Always test your Bmp images with your photo browsers before using them in BV for publishing.

There is also a probability that the problem is their PC and not your webpages.
        www.siapamoyanganda.com/
        Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
        State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

I'm guessing you tried to use paint to save the images are jpg. It doesn't use 100% quality when converting.

There are online converters you can use, I did a google search and found this one

Online Image Converter by CoolUtils.Com ✅ Convert JPEG, TIFF, RAW, PNG, BMP, ICO to JPEG, BMP, TIFF, GIF, ICO, PNG, PDF Fast and Absolutely Free ✅ No software installation required

It should work fine. If you want a free image editing/creation software there is one called The Gimp, its about as good as photoshop, but its free.
          GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program: The Free and Open Source Image Editor

Register/Login Script
          Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Convert them over to JPEG, you can find some free software by searching in google for it.

Comment

Jenny, there is also one more thing that you should be aware of;
              when numbering and giving a file name Do Not Use "#"
              If you did you will have to remove them from all your photo files.
              I had this problem using my online photo album at Epson. When I tried to
              link a photo to a flower forum the photo failed to materalize.
              www.siapamoyanganda.com/
              Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
              State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Originally posted by zuriatman View Post
                Jenny, there is also one more thing that you should be aware of;
                when numbering and giving a file name Do Not Use "#"
                If you did you will have to remove them from all your photo files.
                I had this problem using my online photo album at Epson. When I tried to
                link a photo to a flower forum the photo failed to materalize.
                Arh! Well spotted “#”. It’s also used for linking to bookmarks.
                Keep forgetting that the states use’s “#” for the number symbol. So used to “NO:” as the UK symbol.
                Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Working...
                X