Meta tags in yahoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meta tags in yahoo

Hi. I just published www.thephotopilot.com. I submitted to Yahoo a few days ago and found that their bots had crawled the site. When I went to Yahoo and did a search for thephotopilot, I am on page 4...no worries. What did concern me is that it only has my url in blue with the url link below it. I have a nice little tag line that is in the meta tags on my "index" page, but I don't see it.

Has it just not been enough time yet, or is something wrong? I wanted ThePhotoPilot to come up as the blue title and then "Quality landscape, aviation, nature, and stock photography available for viewing or purchase." under that as the description.

Thanks (sorry it's so long)

Re: Meta tags in yahoo

Well, my guess is just not enough time has passed, but in addition you have not titled your pages. Each page should have it's own unique title (page properties, under the general tab). It appears all of yours are just called index (The Blue title bar at the top of your browser) So I would start my changing that immediately. For example your index or home page might have for it's title: Photo Landscapes | Aviation | Nature - The Photo Pilot
    Your title needs to include text that is on that specific page.

Others may chime in here that are better at SEO than I am, but that is the first thing that popped out at me and probably why you are not seeing your description in the search.
    Cindy Smentowski

Comment

Hello bpflyr,

This is your result maybe you need put nice 25 words in description
      and also title. Here you can play with yours page.

Regards,

Zlatko

Meta tags report for: http://www.thephotopilot.com

meta tag
      lengthvalue

Title: 5Index

Description: 94Quallity landscape, aviation, nature, and stock photography available for viewing or purchase.

Keywords: 187Landscapes,aviation,photography,pilot,planes,mo untains,people,nature,cincinnati,colorado, ohio,newport,rhode island,arizona,montana,martha's vineyard,traverse city,flight,leaf,ocean,waves

Author: 15Brandon Poleski

Meta tags analysis.

Title:
      Title relevancy to page content is terrible.
      The Title relevancy to page content is 0%. (Best 100%)

Description: Description relevancy to page content is poor.
      The Description relevancy to page content is 50%. (Best 100%)

Keywords: Keyword relevancy to page content is terrible. However, this is not necessarily bad if you have a lot of content. The most important factor is to have your keywords on the page a few times.
      The keywords relevancy to page content is 24%.(Best 100%)

Robots: Found no robots meta tag.
      This tag is not really required but helps spiders to index the web page.

Author: The Author meta tag contains no errors.
      This tag contains 15 characters.
      www.mercataworld.com
      www.marradonconstructions.com
      www.ekm-inspirationalmusic.com

Comment

Wow! Thank you for the replies!!! I guess that I have some work to do!

Comment

Also, since most of my site is just pictures, would including the pic titles be good keywords or should I describe the picture a bit? If either one is the case, does each and every word need to be separated by commas or can a keyword be o.k. such as "coming home"? (I know this is all website 101, but I am really new : ) ).

Thanks so much!

Comment

bpflyr: First I would suggest taking a look at Bethers SEO BASICS, she has done a wonderful job on that. I think you will get different schools of thoughts on your question, but here is mine. I would assign a descriptive title to all of your images. In addition, I would add a text line or description along with the photos. So, I would do both.
            Cindy Smentowski

Comment

Dream Lady. Thank you so much for that link. That is some really relevant information and I would have been doing it all wrong. Thanks again!

Comment

Another question, though. I read on the link that most se's don't use keywords anymore. How does someone find my site then?

Comment

You site is never found by meta keywords - your site is found by good content relative to the keywords that people use to search with. So - if the words I search for are blue widgits - and you sell widgits, but don't use the term blue widgits on your page - chances are the websites who do use those terms on the page, in the title - will be way ahead of yours. It's HOW and WHERE you place keywords. And that you realize that EVERY page of your website is a page that should be optimized for DIFFERENT keywords/keyword phrases.

Also - you cannot expect the se's to use what you think/want them to use in the description when they do show you in a search result. They can and will pull ANYTHING they want to from your page, title, description, etc.
                  Beth
                  A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                  SEO - The Basics

Comment

bpflyr: You have it from the expert there, Bethers. btw, you should click on Bethers signature line about SEO and Marketing Tools. I think I forgot to include that in my link above to you. Great information she has pulled together there.
                    Cindy Smentowski

Comment

Thank you both so much for the replies and education!! I think that answers it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bethers View Post
                        You site is never found by meta keywords - your site is found by good content relative to the keywords that people use to search with. So - if the words I search for are blue widgits - and you sell widgits, but don't use the term blue widgits on your page - chances are the websites who do use those terms on the page, in the title - will be way ahead of yours. It's HOW and WHERE you place keywords. And that you realize that EVERY page of your website is a page that should be optimized for DIFFERENT keywords/keyword phrases.

Also - you cannot expect the se's to use what you think/want them to use in the description when they do show you in a search result. They can and will pull ANYTHING they want to from your page, title, description, etc.
                        Bethers? I guess thats why my site is not showing up as well as I expected. I'd be interested in knowing your suggestions on what specific content/keywords I should be using to get higher exposure on the internet and search engines for my Lets Go Shopping pages. (all 5 of them) I'm currently in the process of making them more 'eye' appealing too.

BTW your ebook is interesting but a bit too technically advanced for me (as I cannot picture it in my mind what you are saying), I'm still a 'newbie' but getting better every day.

Many thanks in advance Beth
                        Last edited by pristinelife; 08-13-2007, 06:48 PM. Reason: I forgot to put the link in Lets Go Shopping
                        Where's Your Life Going? You might find some help here: http://www.ourjourneytolife.com/banners3.html
                        Who is Pristinelife? http://ourjourneytolife.com/aboutme.html

Comment

I just quickly looked at your let's go shopping page - and there's nothing on that first page that would keep me there as a person. And there's less there for the se's - as it's mainly pictures which they can't read. Then you made your links "page 1" etc - when you should be naming the pages with what I'll find on them (and what the se's will find on them) - again - no reason as a person OR se to find those pages of interest (this is a place you could be using keywords).

My SEO book is for beginners - for people with absolutely NO experience on the web - so I'm very confused about what you find to be too technical in it. And if anything is too technical - you need to start doing internet searches on the things that are and learning them.
                          Beth
                          A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                          SEO - The Basics

Comment

I'm a bit confused as to what to name pages. BV says to keep them short - then sent through some marketing tips which included giving pages a real expressive name that included your key words. Do you save them as one thing & give them a title in another place? I did that when I first started building, but then went back to having everything the same. I'm still learning the system.
                            www.dinkdy.info
                            www.aboriginalarttreasures.com
                            www.thegemlovers.com
                            www.bigticketmoney.com

Comment

Bethers -
                              Are you saying that I shouldn't precede my page names with the term "subform" as that will not display significant results as no one will be searching with the term "subform?"

In other words, say I have a Yankees Baseball website. Page 2 is named "subform_pitchers," page 3 "subform_hitters," are you saying my searches will be lower because of the term "subform?"

Thanks for clearing that up.

http://www.Koolspaces.com
                              7 Signs You May Have a (hic) Holiday Rinking Problem
                              www.youtube.com/koolspaces

Comment

Working...
                              X