No announcement yet.

Making changes to all footers at once?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making changes to all footers at once?

Hello,

Thank you ALL for so much information in this forum! I am learning to bookmark the posts that pertain to what I'm looking for when I find them. I know from past experience that it is next to impossible to find them again when I need them. There is just too much here for me to remember "where" I found "what".

Onward...

I have a template that I use to build my pages. It has a navigation bar on the left, a header and a footer .

I made the nav and footer with Naval's php instructions from the BV forum. Of course, I could only go so far since my site isn't published yet. (It's still live with Yahoo.) I am switching hosts for my sites - to Voda from other ones.

When I make a change in my footer how do I make it effective on all the pages? Or do I have to wait till the site is published?

In the meantime, should I just continue making product pages as I have been up till now? I just don't want to have to go through over 100 pages to make changes later if I don't have to.

Thank you from a newbie,
    Deet
    h-denterprises.com (not published here yet)

Re: Making changes to all footers at once?

Hi, if you are making a 100 pages? You really will find it better with a live account. With the php way its hard to get everything lining up unless you make accurate templates to start with.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Chris,
      I totally disagree with you. I don't have any troubles like you just described. And with php you can move the footer to where you want it on the page - without any trouble. It allows you to use BV - which allows you to have a completely self-designed website.

Since I went with BV, I've been doing more and more reading about the advantages of stores using this method. And the php includes are a simple way to allow it to be done.

And, Chris, what does a "live" account have to do with it? I LOVE the fact that with BV, the store can be done offline - without publishing until you're ready to.

Dee- if you change the php footer page - it will automatically be changed on all the other pages -because on the other pages, you are only putting in an html box that calls up the php footer page. Same if you change your navigation or header - if you're doing them in these type of pages, also.
      Beth
      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
      SEO - The Basics

Comment

No problem Beth, I will leave Deet in your very capable hands.
        Just noticed that Deet was a newbie & wasn’t sure of the experience of this new member, plus thought they may of found it difficult understanding the php side of things when working blind using this style of pages.
        Many users have had problems using this method (hence the 300 posts) & just thought it maybe easier to be able to see a finished result & know all is working properly & going in the right direction before making a 100 plus pages.
        Sorry if I have completely missed something, but is there a way of viewing & testing your php site without a VH account?
        I know if I was new & wanted to attempt this way of making web pages, I would like to see what’s happening & to know I was on the right track.

Regards.
        Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

I just want to thank you both, Chris and Beth, for your input.

Chris, it was a bit unnerving to read that I need to go live right away because my store is active now on another host. I am a newbie here on BV but have a little experience in building sites as I have 3 stores up. I have had a LOT of help along the way and am ALWAYS open to suggestions.

Beth, thank you, as always. Your response calmed my nerves considerably.

Regarding the footers, headers, nav bar changes: I had 5 or 6 product pages done and made a change to my nav bar and footer. Those changes appeared on the next pages that I made but how do I change them on the first 5 or 6 that I already had done? Is there a way to change them all at once or do I have to replace them individually with the new nav & footer?

Thank you,
          Deet

Comment

Dee - Since the site isn't published, you shouldn't be able to see the changes on any of the pages - because you just have the html box there to call up those php pages. If you changed the php header or footer pages - they automatically change when you are published on all pages - because you are NOT changing how you call the page up.

Hope that's clear. (Not sure if we covered this in emails).
            Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

Chris,
              For the noobs - as evidenced on this forum - just naming pages is, I think, the single hardest thing :)

That said - for anyone using BV for a store - like these people Karen and I bring over here - they are way better off with the php method - and they have usually decided on BV over Soho or OSC, etc before starting - with questions already asked and answered before getting here. Although not always, of course.

And, most of them know they have my ear - Dee even had my help while I was gone this past week :) Maybe not as fast as she might have liked, but I was getting to emails - just not forums.
              Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
              SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
              X