Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Font issue?

Hi Everyone,

My site comes up "wierd" on some people's computers (not a browser issue; they all have IE, like me). I'm wondering if it's the fonts I'm using in my header and name (top right).

If so, is there a way to code it somehow to say "if this person doesn't have this font, then use that font"?

Thank you. Sorry for the non-tech-speak.

Rachel
    Rachel

www.midcolumbianotary.com

Re: Font issue?

Hello,

Make sure you're using fonts that other older computers have, you have to think of computers like Windows 95, 98 platforms and up.

It might also be the browser you are using.. Internet Explorer is the worse for it, it reads codes the wrong way, which is why you will see on different browsers that your page might look different.

You can look at the default fonts on different platforms here:
    Windows 95: http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...t.aspx?PID=105
    Windows 98: http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...t.aspx?PID=107
    Best regards,
    Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

I believe the best way to handle that, especially if it's just in your header is to make your header an image instead of text. That way, it will come up just fine regardless of the computer viewing it and it won't matter if they have that particular font or not. Otherwise, you really need to use the standard/universal fonts. You may want to try creating an image with this FREE program.
      Cindy Smentowski

Comment

Just got back to this & found your responses; thank you! I'm going to try the image thing first, 'cause I really like my font as it is.

Quick question regarding IE: Jeremy, are you saying that IE can mess up the fonts even when the other person has the same Windows version and using the same browser (IE)? Just curious.

Thanks!
        Rachel
        Rachel

Comment

OK, just looked at the Cool Text site, and I'm not sure if I understand how it works. Are the choices of image types just what they have shown? None of them would flow with my site. I think the image idea is great, and I would like to make it work somehow, but I'd like to keep my font style. Is there any way to do this?

Thank you!

Rachel
          Rachel

Comment

Back again. :)

I just got back on the site, Cindy, and navigated around a bit and realized you can change the fonts on the logos... I was too quick to post here last time. I don't see my font style (monotype corsiva) but I'll try to find one that's similar. Thanks for the tip!

Rachel
            Rachel

Comment

Rachel: With regards to the fonts and browsers. What really matters here is if whoever is viewing your website, has your particular fonts installed on their computer. Many people only have the standard fonts that come with their programs. With me, I have access to 100's of fonts, so I ususally don't have a problem viewing different fonts. Not sure how the actual browsers play into it, and it appears that Jeremy knows more about that.

About cooltext. When you access the first page, you can pick a sample of something you like and click on that. It then brings up another page that lets you customize it more to your tastes, like colors, texture and fonts. If you click in the font box, it will then bring up a bunch of different fonts to go and look at. I admit, it can be a little time consuming, but interesting as to what you could come up with. If you have some time to play with it, I know a lot of people have used that site as a way to design a logo.

oops..we cross posted. Good, glad you found your way around!
              Cindy Smentowski

Comment

I was just stateing that IE - the way it reads codes (HTML for example) is the wrong way. If you were to write really good coding for a site and then go preview it .. it will look nice in any other browser exept IE because the way it understands coding is the wrong way.

But make sure you have fonts that other old users have or it will go to their default or what ever default you've set.
                Best regards,
                Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

Thank you. I think I understand, except about me setting the default it goes to on their computer. How do I do that?

Also, I just finished reading some search results on "fonts," and realize my question has been asked and answered a lot of times; thank you for your patience in answering mine.

One thing I haven't seen addressed (although it may have been) is the option to convert the text box to an image. I just found that in BV and am wondering if that would work, since I really want to keep my font.

Thanks.

Rachel
                  Rachel

Comment

Well of course. I forgot about that! Right click on the text and go to properties. Check the box that says, "Publish this text as an image". It's pretty much that easy!
                    Cindy Smentowski

Comment

Working...
                    X