my first post, be gentle with newbie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my first post, be gentle with newbie!

Hope I am doing this correctly, I have not published yet as my site is in it's infancy and nowhere near ready for public viewing.

My first question is this: when naming pages (other than the index page), do I add the ".html"? I have viewed the tutorials and perused the forums for days and have not yet found a definitive answer. The tutorial seems to suggest the index page should be saved without the .html, but all others should use it.... I have noticed that if I do not use .html after the page name, the page is saved as a .bvd. However, if I add the .html, the page saves as an .html file (which doesn't display as anything but gobble-de-gook when opened with IE) but is not listed among the .bvd pages when I go to "open page". I am so confused.....

Second question: what am I doing wrong in creating a template? I have the basic background look I want for all the pages designed, but when I try to save it as a template in the templates folder, it saves it as a .wwb - however, when I try to open it, I am taken to "save page as..". I do not understand this at all. So now I have just designed and saved a generic page as a .bvd, and as I create pages from that one, I "save as" whatever the page name will be. So what possible use are templates, since I can't save one and successfully open it after I saved it?

Hope this makes some kind of sense, as I am very new to all this. I have spent almost a month looking for answers in the forums, and through Google, so I have tried my best not to *******te anyone else's question.

Thanks!

Re: my first post, be gentle with newbie!

When you publish your pages BV automatically converts it into html.

The Best myspaces on myspace.com

Comment

you shouldn't put any ext. on the pages, it will save them as .bvp automatically
      http://www.penniesnpence.com

Comment

Hi, as above, just save your pages as the name you want to call it with no extensions. I you wish to have 2 words to the name of your page? Name like so: contact_us
        If you want to make a template, I tend to just make a page & before saving, lock the page & just save as template like you would a normal page.
        If I then want to copy/duplicate the page, you can then just press the clone button & select your template page. Would be good to get into the practice of changing the page name (by save as) as soon as you have duplicated it to save accidentally overwriting the template you made.
        Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Originally posted by Collectors-info View Post
          Hi, as above, just save your pages as the name you want to call it with no extensions. I you wish to have 2 words to the name of your page? Name like so: contact_us
          If you want to make a template, I tend to just make a page & before saving, lock the page & just save as template like you would a normal page.
          If I then want to copy/duplicate the page, you can then just press the clone button & select your template page. Would be good to get into the practice of changing the page name (by save as) as soon as you have duplicated it to save accidentally overwriting the template you made.
          Isn't it better to name them contact-us rather than contact_us for se's

just question I would never try to undermine YOU of all people
          http://www.penniesnpence.com

Comment

Working...
          X