PDA

View Full Version : Increasing font shade over image

dandia
08-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Hi
I am putting text over an image and need a stronger black in parts of the text. Does anyone know how I can do this please?
The site I am building at the moment is www.mylastwishesinfrance.com (http://www.mylastwishesinfrance.com) You can see from the home page the problem I would like to rectify.

Many thanks in advance

Debbie

LadyEye
08-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Hi Debbie

Black is black and you can make it blacker by making your text bold as you have in some cases, however there is another alternative for you to consider ...

You can have the opacity of your image lightened right within blue voda ... this will lighten the background of your flower and the black text will stand out more ...

Use the Insert Layer option, which is on the left hand side, 4 down, yellow, looks like two little plugs in the icon, insert that, then use the layout tab to browse for your image and insert, then set the opacity to your satisfaction, you might try 25 or 30 first and then go from there ...

this may help accomplish what it is you want to achieve ... Notice too there are settings for No Tile, etc.

dandia
08-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Thank you very much. I'm off to have a go layering:-)

Debbie

dandia
08-15-2007, 06:38 AM
Lady Eye

I have worked out the layering technique (thank you) but when I publish I get asked to run active x. I am using IE and mozilla. I wouldn't have a problem running the active x with my own stuff but will not open a site if it require active x. I am guessing it is the layering that needs the active x as when I restore to as before it doesn't ask for it.
So, My question is there a way of layering without activating active x?

Thanks again

Debbie

PennieNPence
08-15-2007, 07:11 AM
are you actually publishing your site or are you clicking the button that says preview?

In preview mode(which just shows it in your browser off of your computer) it will have the active x bar pop-up but it won't have it on the actual web.

dandia
08-15-2007, 07:19 AM
Good question. I thought i had published it but maybe not. I'll give it another go. Thank you

Debbie

dandia
08-15-2007, 07:36 AM
Yes that was the active x problem. Thank you. I wasn't publishing. However now I am and the logo has dissapeared altogether! What have I done wrong? I've deleted cookies/temp files. the ogo is on the home page but if I can get this right I would love to put it on all the pages.

Debbie

Collectors-info
08-15-2007, 09:31 AM
Hi, can you post your sites URL.

dandia
08-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Hi
The url is www.mylastwishesinfrance.com (http://www.mylastwishesinfrance.com) I have taken off the page which wasn't working but if you give me 10minutes I'll put the other one back on!

Debbie

larazovich
08-15-2007, 02:56 PM
Hi
The url is www.mylastwishesinfrance.com (http://www.mylastwishesinfrance.com) I have taken off the page which wasn't working but if you give me 10minutes I'll put the other one back on!

Debbie
seems to be working now...

dandia
08-15-2007, 04:13 PM
It is? I can't see it and I've deleted all history and refreshed. This is really strange as I had the same problem with font colours earlier today and gave up. Does it look good or a bit corny?
Thank you for looking
Debbie

larazovich
08-15-2007, 04:22 PM
It is? I can't see it and I've deleted all history and refreshed. This is really strange as I had the same problem with font colours earlier today and gave up. Does it look good or a bit corny?
Thank you for looking
Debbie
Looks quite nice to me..
What are you seeing?

dandia
08-15-2007, 04:24 PM
I have also just noticed that my flavicons have dissapeared. Maybe everything will be viewable in the morning. Fingers crossed. Unless anyone else has any ideas?

Debbie

dandia
08-15-2007, 05:55 PM
Liz

All I see is the banner on the top,the links and the box with words in it. No image behind the words. I've just rebooted to see if that would make a difference it didn't.

Debbie

larazovich
08-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Have you deleted all your temp internet files?
This is so odd - I am seeing your site just fine, complete...

Here is another thing you can try, if the above doesn't work:

Did you run a DNS Flush yet? (Different than cleaning browser cache).
1. Shut down all browsers and other programs
2. Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> Prompt Command
3. Enter ipconfig/flushdnsand hit Enter
4. Repeat
5. Shut system down, unplug modem/connection for at least 1 full minute.
6. Restart system

good luck

dandia
08-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Yep, done temp files,history, cookies everything I could! I've run the virus scanner in the vain hope that would work. I shall try the list as adviced above. Thank you
Keep your fingers crossed
Back later

Debbie

larazovich
08-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Yep, done temp files,history, cookies everything I could! I've run the virus scanner in the vain hope that would work. I shall try the list as adviced above. Thank you
Keep your fingers crossed
Back later

Debbie
Hey Debbie, one more thing - can't believe I didn't ask this first - did you try republishing?

dandia
08-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Hi Liz
Ok. Followed the instructions to the letter. Then republished and....nothing new has appeared. I still have the same, everything displayed except the layered image. If I mouse over it I do get the box come up with the title dandelion clock which is what I named the layered image. Maybe it will work tomorrow? Alternatively I shall have to go and look on someone elses computer!

Debbie

larazovich
08-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Hi Liz
Ok. Followed the instructions to the letter. Then republished and....nothing new has appeared. I still have the same, everything displayed except the layered image. If I mouse over it I do get the box come up with the title dandelion clock which is what I named the layered image. Maybe it will work tomorrow? Alternatively I shall have to go and look on someone elses computer!

Debbie
we'll get to the bottom of this yet..
Try reinserting the image and republishing.

larazovich
08-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Though it does seem to be an issue with your computer - I still see it fine..

PennieNPence
08-15-2007, 06:59 PM
maybe it's your browser (I just shooting in the dark)

Did you try going to the microsoft site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/default.mspx

If you try to upgrade your explorer the site will search your computer and give all of the up dates to the program and patches that you might need.

dandia
08-15-2007, 07:06 PM
Well I've published the image on all the other pages now and like the first page I cannot see the image on my computer on any of the pages. I think you are right it must be my computer but why I have no idea. I can't even see the images in preview in BV. I am going to leave it for tonight. I have spent all day on this and I think its time for a walk away.
Thank you Liz so much for your input and if you would check out the other pages for me to make sure the image is OK on those I would be extremly grateful:-) Do you live in France? Maybe I could pop round yours to see? LOL
See you in the morning
Debbie

larazovich
08-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Yep Debbie I still see them all!
France?
hmmm
Well, I am just south of San Francisco, California......LOL

dandia
08-16-2007, 08:47 AM
Checked all my undates last night before closing down and I am bang up to date.
Well I got up with great expectation of everything sorting itself out over night. It didn't. So, I cannot waste any more time I am going to ask the guys in the "look at my site" part to critique it. Just got to fix a couple of links first and then I am off to a friends house to have a look at the pages on her computer!
California? ermmmmm Yep I can do that ........LOL

Debbie

dandia
08-16-2007, 01:20 PM
Ok I am still having problems and I am ready to scream. My problems today are still related to the image. I still am unable to view the images on the internet despite doing everything that has been suggested. I am trying to tweak bits and pieces on my site www.mylastwishesinfrance.com (http://www.mylastwishesinfrance.com) and now the text is too pale. I have tried moving the layer to the back and the text to the front but it has made no difference. I am not sure if on the internet it the text is grey or black as I can't see the image behind it and the preview in BV doesn't work. I don't understand as yesterday that part worked fine. All other programmes in my computer are working lovely it's just BV I seem to be having a problem with. I thought to downlaod BV agai but it comes up with an error message "header not complete do you want to continue?" and I am not sure if I do or not so I haven't.
Two questions
Can anyone suggest what to do with the text problem? and
Shall I download the BV despite the error message?
All help gratefully received.

Debbie

Collectors-info
08-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Hi, part the problem will be to do with the naming of the images.
Delete your 2 images from the BV page
Rename your images with only lowercase letters. No, @,() & alike.
Place the images back on the page & republish. (test) IE:
http://www.intheventofmydeath.com/logo3@local.jpg
http://www.intheventofmydeath.com/logo-three.jpg

dandia
08-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Thanks Chris

I've renamed and changed the images on the index page and republished but it hasn't made any difference.
I tried to put a background colour in using page properties and again although I can see the colour in BV I can't in preview or see it in either IE7 or FF. I am leaning more and more to a problem with BV as I have virus scanned,adwared both with my computer software and online and nothing.

Despondant Debbie

larazovich
08-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Dear Despondant -
I am so sorry you are still having troubles..
I would definately download and reinstall BV..
http://www.vodasupport.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=1
I was hoping Chris could find you a solution - he is the image guru..
Good Luck my voda friend..

dandia
08-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Hi Voda Friend Liz

I have reinstalled BV it has made no difference. I sorted the problem of grey text by cloning a page with black text cutting and pasting then renaming the pages to suit. Long winded but it worked for those following this thread and who may having the same problem. I still haven't worked out how or why I can't see the image behind the words. That is work in progress. VBG (Very big grin)

Debbie who is not so despondent now that the Grey is back to black

Collectors-info
08-16-2007, 05:12 PM
Hi. Grey text? All looks ok from this end. If you are getting grey text it maybe to do with your text box being over the layer area & making it look transparent (grey) Pull the tabs out on the text box so at least one edge of the text box is outside the layer area & the text should get its normal colour back. Or place another text layer on the page & put the text on top of that.
As for your images not showing, its got to be something to do with your browser or its settings. There is some ware that enables you to surf without images showing, & I am wondering if this has somehow got turned on. (just not sure were it is). Only another thought.
This is what I am seeing. With a small hair cut. lol

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/COLLECTORS-INFO/bus.jpg

dandia
08-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Chris
Thank you,thank you for solving the grey writing. Dragging the text box outside the layered area works and is easier than cloning .
Thank you as well for taking the time to show me what the site looks like! Is there something in BV I could have turned off/on? Its strange the problem is both in IE and FF.
Oh I am one happy bunny....drag the text box, who would have thought? LOL

Debbie

Collectors-info
08-17-2007, 06:23 AM
Hi, just noticed this new post that may be worth a try (the 1st part) LINK (http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/176624-post4.html)

dandia
08-17-2007, 07:40 AM
Thank you Chris for the link and remembering my problem when reading another post.

I've already tried the flush...four times now! I've just posted on the personal computer forum, maybe someone will have an idea there.
I must say I have found all the help I have had over the last few days imeasurable. Thank you is so inadequate but again thank you.

Debbie