Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PC Question

Hello, wonderful forum members.

I have published about 1/2 of the pages of my website. When my latest computer bit the dust, I had to purchase a new ******* computer, and had to copy my BV software folder that I had saved in an external drive back to this.

Since doing so, every time I open one of my pages- whether published or not...my entire content is destroyed. BV says this is a computer issue, not a BV issue. Perhaps someone can help me. To follow are the things going wrong:

A. When I open any page, whether it has or has not been published, all images "cannot be found" all shapes are rearranged and do not appear where I designed them to be.

B. All graphics that I have since input, e.g. spacing line between sections of my menu, are MOVED when I view a preview of my page.

C. All font sizes I used were changed when I did a preview before publishing.

D. All colors are GONE.

So it appears I must start over. I've only been working on a 30 page site for a year now. Could ANYONE, please, please help me.

I am at a loss, and I must add, slightly devasted -as I had a couple wonderful friends I met in this forum work very, very hard to help me FINALLY get this thing done. And now I look, and I'm almost back to square one.

I do not want this support request to appear on the web, as they usually seem to do. How can I give you my address without that happening? I'm sure if you saw one or two of my pages, you would very quickly see my problem.I do see that there is a new menubar here that I don't recall from prior BV editions.

Thank you, so very much if you can assist me. I will check back here every 15 mins. or so. (It's now 6:02 pm EST., USA. I'll be back at 6:15.)
    I do hope YOU are having a beautiful day!
    Lisa

Re: All Web Building Pages Ruined

The reason your pictures do no present is because the original computer path has been changed.
    Even if you copied your folder into the exact same place on your new computer, you must also "clone" the destination/path for your images. Usually when transferring/copying BV files onto different systems, the pages have been published previously, and Users freak when the pix are X'd out......this is corrected by simply re-publishing the pages despite not seeing the images, as the VH server knows exactly what image is being asked for and automatically selects the proper image (providing you have not changed image titles or something) from saved files. However, if the images and/or pages have never been published, there is no referential path to re-create at all, and in this case, you will need to go one by one and manually replace them on your BV pages from wherever you now have them stored (since they are supposedly the exact size you set earlier, this is really a minor inconvenience).

If the font has changed on your new system, it is most likely because your new system is not loaded with that particular font.
    Try reloading your new computer with additional fonts, either from the source CD/disk or by creating one from your original unit (use Roxio to make a data CD, locating the Fonts folder in your C: drive > WINDOWS folder)

As far as the colors are concerned, this should not happen at all (especially if the pages were created in the same version of BV). It sounds more like a resolution or display settings issue on the new unit.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Well, hello Vasili! Nice to hear from you...
      thank you for the info. I think the font should be here, as it is Verdana, a very plain one, and I use it in Word, which is loaded. I tried republishing one of my pages, and although it re-published properly, when I re-opened it in the builder, it was still all wrong. The font was actually LARGER this time!

I'll call ******* to get more info. You've explained this to me well, and I really appreciate that. It will help when I call them.

And, I hope all is great in your neck of the woods...or coast.
      Leeza

Comment

Ok, well I've gone thru ******* and Microsoft Help. I still don't know what to do, but have one possibility. Before I remove everything and do a complete restore of my hard drive, does anyone offhand know for sure if BV is compatible with Vista? Twice I was told it is not.

And...if it's not. I ....????? who knows what.

I'm going to give my site to someone local to help me work on it from here til I get it published, just can't take all this confusion anymore.

Leeza

Comment

Don't freak out just yet, Lisa!

Before you commit yourself to anything, Holly will be back by Saturday and can lend a hand to get things resolved (she was who was helping you for a while there and already has page files, right?).

Secondly, who on Earth told you BV and Vista were incompatible? They obviously are smoking the good stuff!

Third, where did you get your new 'puter? Best Buy? They will back up your HD completely onto CD's before they "restore" your Vista and all ----- let the Geek Squad do it, because Vista allows the consumer only 3 loads before you are forced to pop for a new package....it's not like the old days where you have a CD and can reload/restore whenever you need to. (You think THIS is bad, wait until they roll out Vienna, the new Windows version in early 2009 ----- it's all online applications only: to even use your computer, you will need to be connected to the internet!).
          >> So, let the store take care of it for you.....and be sure that you state your requirement that you will not allow your Vista to be used: let them reload with their commercial copy!

Yeah...things are shaping up...finally....don't be surprised if we call you to see where we left off!
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Re: New PC Question

WOW! Anything to make a buck, hmmm?

Well Microsoft didn't tell me Vista and BV are incompatible, but a couple guys in the forum did. (If I recalled your other email I'd tell you something else.)

Yes, Holly, dear woman has been helping me. With this, I told her I was taking it to the forum (I hate to ask her for so much help) but when she returns, I'll ask what else she might know.

One good thing- with Vista I think I can do "information sharing" so someone else can see inside my computer. For whomever helps, that will be a plus.

I'm going to try one more thing before taking it to the Geek Squad- start a page TOTALLY from scratch, see what happens.

Thanks so much for the "relief." You can imagine how it felt to be told this is incompatible. Regardless, I was NOT meant to build a website,lol, but it's a bit late now!

Take care, I'll let you know when I get the results!
            Leeza

Comment

Just an fyi (in case anyone else has this Vista problem) I built a new test page, published, and the font is still wrong when published.

Comment

Ok...since my last post I've had far too extensive conversations with Microsoft, Microsoft forum (what RUDE people there!!!) and *******. I took my new computer into Best Buy (Geek Squad) and told them all the problems, but they- and all others above- say my problems lie in my BV software. I have downloaded it twice into the new computer, and have tried to pull pages off the web, reloaded all new images, text, colors. I am still at a major loss:
                a) my fonts on the website are smaller than in the builder
                b) when I save my pages, and re-open them, everything- colors are gone, fonts misplaced, images "cannot be found."
                c) I've tried republishing and returned to the builder as Vasili suggested only to find that nothing in builder is repaired.

My computer is presently at Geek Squad- but they insist there is nothing they can do re: BlueVoda. My question is this:
                Has anyone else experienced Vista problems? If so, what were they and may I also ask, how did you fix them? I've read "Vista takes some getting used to" but that isn't something that could help me with all the above.

I'm borrowing a friend's computer, mine will be back in a week. I just thought I'd pose this question, perhaps we need a page "tips and tricks" on the Vista program? I'm lost when nobody will claim responsibility.

Thanks gang,
                Lisa
                and you know I won't write my website here, but if you email me I'll send it to you

Comment

When I upgraded my computer I had similar problems. I was told by BV that it was a Microsoft problem who told me that it was a Dell problem and to call them. So I know what you're going through. Rather than put up with that frustration I redid my whole website. You know what? I did it real quick and better. You may not want to hear that but at the moment there's a pile of hair sitting on your keyboard. lol.

Good Luck!

The Best myspaces on myspace.com

Comment

Don't you just hate it when no one claims responsibility? This one says it's that and that says its this. Sheesh, you'd think these companies were run by 2yr old CEO babies. I hope you get it straightened Leeza, I feel for you darling, good luck
                    Where's Your Life Going? You might find some help here: http://www.ourjourneytolife.com/banners3.html
                    Who is Pristinelife? http://ourjourneytolife.com/aboutme.html

Comment

Originally posted by koolspaces.com View Post
                      When I upgraded my computer I had similar problems. I was told by BV that it was a Microsoft problem who told me that it was a Dell problem and to call them. So I know what you're going through. Rather than put up with that frustration I redid my whole website. You know what? I did it real quick and better. You may not want to hear that but at the moment there's a pile of hair sitting on your keyboard. lol.

Good Luck!

Hi there- just want to confirm, you simply rebuilt your former pages from scratch on your new C drive? I can transfer over to that drive but haven't been able to start fresh with the glitches that keep popping up. Perhaps you'd help me and then I can perhaps help you in some way?
                      Hope you're still around to read this!
                      Leeza

Comment

Originally, I copied everything from my old hard drive to a CD and then copied it to the new computer. That produced all kinds of problems with directory structure being different. So, the next time I decided to copy each element to a new BV page, tell the computer where to find each picture etc. and renamed it.

7 Signs You May Have a (hic) Holiday Rinking Problem
                        www.YouTube.com/koolspaces

Comment

Hi again all,

It's been a good month or more and my new computer is still all a mess. I just got help from a tech college here too, who (cringe) says the problem is between Vista and BV.

Well a good pal told me she heard some of you are going BACK to IE7 and that is fixing things. Anyone know how I can do that on my new machine?

Thanks, I carry on...
                          Leeza

Comment

After reading this problem of yours I feel sorry for you. I learn something. It is cheaper to buy xp computer with 2 Gb ram. That is what I have to avoid problems. Then I go search vista problems forum, there are still lots of it. I think vista is too early to buy until problem solved.

Comment

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I think I must go back to XP...why they come out with new programs before they are "user friendly" ...I suppose they MUST want all of us to tell them our problems.

Unfortunately, Vista came with my new computer. Is there any way to revert back to IE7 /XP without paying for it? Anyone hear Microsoft offering this for those having problems?

Have a GOOD day!
                              Leeza

Comment

Working...
                              X