Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen Resolution hassles

G'day,
    I've been working on building my VH site with BV. I've looked at hundreds of websites for design ideas etc. However, I found that two very prominent members of the Vtalk forums (up there in the Generals status) have websites that don't show very well on my monitor. I discussed it with them directly and resolved that the problem is with my settings! It actually was my on-line Bank that advised me what the problem was. The others advised me my Font Setting was too large in my browser but it was actual set to Normal.
    Monitor is 19" LCD = ** L1952S which has a native resolution of 1280x1024. Of course it has many other resolutions going down from there. ** recommend the use of this resolution and suggest setting the DPI in Display properties (advanced) to 120dpi. Bank said needs to be in 96DPI which is standard DPI setting.
    When I got the monitor a year ago, I had to sort out which resolution worked best. It was really great set up the way ** recommend. Most pages on Bank site are ok. Just TABS at the top, the text wouldn't fit. They have recently modified their site and now I have trouble seeing the dates of transactions because the overlayed transaction fields don't align with the page template.
    With the other two Generals from VodaTalk, I found text was misaligned and overlapping images or vice versa.
    For the time being, I've found only one other resolution 1152x864 set with 96 DPI that gives reasonable screen that shows those sites ok BUT for everything else I do on the computer the text is fuzzy around the edge. It does strain the eyes. I won't be worried about looking at their sites but whilst I'm building my own, I want to make sure it is going to be seen properly by others when it is published.
    Any advice on rectifying this problem would be appreciated. I'd like to go back to the settings I had. We surf the web extensively and I've never noticed a problem other than these two members multiple sites, my bank and also the little pop-up that Spy-Bot shows when asking whether to allow a change to registry etc. (Popup text can't be read on the buttons and only half height of the buttons appear).
    Thanks,
    Rick

Re: Screen Resolution hassles

Hi, it’s a very hard one to judge with not being able to see the monitor. The majority visitors to most sites are at res @ 1024 x 768. This also seems to be what web builders seem to aim at when building fluid style sites to give a reasonable look across most monitors of different sizes & set at different resolutions. The dpi norm now days would be 96 dpi. But as things progress & speeds increase this will get higher.
    One other thing you might try if you have the accesses to one, is putting another monitor next to your one to see if it’s showing the same. There maybe a problem with your monitor.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi,

U cant have everything perfect. Two out of two hundred millions websites
      is a fantastic ODD.

U have to take everything with a pinch of salt and not readily fault your own PC just because somebody tells you otherwise.

U of all people should should know better whether your PC is fine or not!
      www.siapamoyanganda.com/
      Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
      State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

I know to go into controls, display, and then click on the last tab to change resolution, but how do you check or change dpi to 96? Is this the color resolution?

Comment

Originally posted by kacienoonan View Post
          I know to go into controls, display, and then click on the last tab to change resolution, but how do you check or change dpi to 96? Is this the color resolution?
          Hi,
          I don't know if you are still looking for an answer. :)

In Windows Control Panel, select Display, (or change resolution), it will come up with Display Properties. Select Settings Tab at the top and then select Advanced button at the bottom.
          Rick

Comment

Hi All,

I am not sure this is the same thing... What should the page size be when starting from scratch... I set it at 1024 x 768... Works great on my 22" screen, but when I move th same screen to my laptop it does not fit...

Having said that, if I move this forum screen from one to the other it fits perfectly on both screens, so there must be some 'auto' resizing going on..

If so, how do I apply to the pages I am building in VodaHost ??

Comment

Build your pages between 800 and 1000 wide. They will then fit 99% of the screens.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              1-302-283-3777 North America / International
              02036089024 / United Kingdom
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
              X