Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How check if spiders reading my <h> headers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How check if spiders reading my <h> headers?

Hi -

I have added h1-h5 headers to my page, albeit in a slightly unorthodox fashion, without text between them, but more as category listings. I don't think this is looked at badly by search engines, anyone know differently?

I have tried using several tools to see if the headers are correct and if spiders will pick up the headers. One says the headers are correct, the other doesn't see to see them, or at least it doesn't mention them in a review of my "headers."

Can anyone see what might be wrong with the headers if in fact there is anything wrong?

Tool that doesn't seem to be reading the headers: http://www.widexl.com/remote/search-...-analyzer.html

Tool that says headers are OK:
    Save time, money and frustration with online marketing reports that don't get easier than this. Send client reports for SEO, Social and PPC with Raven.

Website URL that I am testing: http://www.williamlewispaintings.net...rfcasting.html

I want to get the headers right so that search engines will index the pages properly. Thanks for any insights!

The headers are at the bottom left of the page - under Fine Art Gallery / Painting Categories:

TP

Re: How check if spiders reading my &lt;h&gt; headers?

Only conclusive way test that I can think of is to make sure that the text in your header is completely unique. Wait some time for it to get indexed and when you do a search for the header or your site you see the unique text in your header (assuming that the search engine you check actually uses the header in what it displays with its result, not just what it uses for keywords)

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

thank you watdapflip - i appreciate your response.

Comment

Well, youve used the entire cast of H tags on one teeny tiny paragraph on the bottom of your page. This is NOT correct, nor will it get you brownie points. An H tag is the equivalent of a news paper headline. Newspapers dont put headlines on the bottom of the page for you to dig thru the print back at the top of the page to find what its for. Neither will the search engines. The reason to use a header and or an "H" tag and specifically H1 tags is to Caption the MAIN TOPIC of that page.

Think more of it as writing an essay. you dont put your titles as footnotes, and this is how youve used them. When writing essays, generally you also do an outline, the H1 tag would be the title across the top of the page. Your h2 tags would caption the different points being made and the rest would be used for sub articles or notes under the h2 as in:

Title of Page
        Section I)Anatomy of a Frog(h2)
        A.)Frog Skin types (h3)
        i.)presence of scales(h4)
        Section II) Frog Habitat(h2)
        So yes they probably SPIDER them and totally ignore them as youve confused them as to what you are actually doing.

These tags can be linked to other pages, but in general, should be used properly and in proper context, which you havent done.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

One more thing.. youve probably been blacklisted, as my google bar is greyed out, and no information about your page is available. Trying to outsmart the SE is never SMART. I suggest you fix it immediately, and write to google to reinclude your fixed page.. probably will take 6 mos to correct it as they dont forgive, "NOT KNOWING" as an excuse.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          1-302-283-3777 North America / International
          02036089024 / United Kingdom
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Spam by any other name is still spam.

These are the reasons that the spiders have to continually be retaught - because people keep trying to "fool" them. They really don't like that.

Most of those "tools" you're using - are simply looking for tags, etc on the page. They aren't nearly as refined at the se's are - they aren't looking to see if you use them properly.

When you start building your pages for the se's instead of for the people who are using your pages - or are you potential customers in this case, you're going to be hurting yourself every single time.
            Beth
            A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
            X