PDA

View Full Version : Google webmaster tool - Not matching?

Marincky
10-09-2007, 11:36 PM
I use the Google webmaster tools which I find very handy. Several weeks ago I used the 'Remove url' tool which allows you to tell Google of pages that no longer exist and to remove them from their search.

They passed these and removed them, however, only today they picked up all of them as 'unable to find url's' despite them telling me they had removed them?

Is it because they are finding a link to them somewhere? I don't get it.

Karen Mac
10-10-2007, 05:14 AM
Yes.. cached links in their spidering. Redirect them in your htaccess file.

Takes a few minutes and no more errors.

Karen

Marincky
10-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks karen

Bethers
10-10-2007, 06:12 PM
And something else to think about - whenever possible, don't remove pages - use them in another fashion if necessary.

I just got a sale from someone who came in via a page that was originally for a line of products I no longer carry. I turned that page into some information and with links to my other pages - and let the traffic still come in. I don't pay for that traffic - so any sale that comes through that page is a bonus. That same person MIGHT have gone to other pages if they got the Page Not Found - but more likely would have clicked off at that time.

Marincky
10-10-2007, 06:16 PM
And something else to think about - whenever possible, don't remove pages - use them in another fashion if necessary.

I just got a sale from someone who came in via a page that was originally for a line of products I no longer carry. I turned that page into some information and with links to my other pages - and let the traffic still come in. I don't pay for that traffic - so any sale that comes through that page is a bonus. That same person MIGHT have gone to other pages if they got the Page Not Found - but more likely would have clicked off at that time.

I totally understand Bethers, I only remove pages as a last resort, unfortunately I didn't really have much choice but to remove 113 pages from one of my wedding directories. (Trust me I had no alternative) but due to the nature of the business it doesn't appear to have had any long term effect.

Bethers
10-10-2007, 06:39 PM
I probably wouldn't have worried too much if they were directory pages either - so take the time to follow Karen's advice and you'll quit having the problem :)

I didn't figure you were dropping pages at any whim - unfortunately, many people do - some just change page names every other week - then wonder why they never get traffic to any of their pages. Go figure.

Marincky
10-10-2007, 06:45 PM
I probably wouldn't have worried too much if they were directory pages either - so take the time to follow Karen's advice and you'll quit having the problem :)

I didn't figure you were dropping pages at any whim - unfortunately, many people do - some just change page names every other week - then wonder why they never get traffic to any of their pages. Go figure.

There is no telling some!...

vodafan
12-04-2007, 10:33 PM
Hi Ramsey,

It is an off (sorry fellow readers), but I have read, here, that you are running wedding websites. Maybe we could do some biz together.
How can I contact you?

Cheers

Vodafan

Marincky
12-04-2007, 10:41 PM
click the TOP link in my sig and email me.

vodafan
12-04-2007, 11:33 PM
Sent you the mail a minute ago.