Cannot for the life of me edit ecommerce home page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot for the life of me edit ecommerce home page

Please, please can someone point out where im going wrong............
    Im trying to edit the wording on home page from the default shown below, i`ve gone back to the tutorials time and time again and following instructions to no avail. It states in the tutorial that I have to keep wording between the comma marks and input my own text between them???!!!!!

Could some use the code below and highlight (bold) which bits i need to delete, so i can then finally choose my own wording!
    I HAVE ALL MY FAITH IN YOU.....................THANKS, Steve

heres my index.php file

<?php
    /*
    $Id: index.php,v 1.1 2003/06/11 17:38:00 hpdl Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
    http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License
    */

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup of the osCommerce project, products shown are for demonstrational purposes, <b>any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed</b>. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional.<br><br><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="5" cellpadding="2"><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/1.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Error Messages</b><br><br>If there are any error or warning messages shown above, please correct them first before proceeding.<br><br>Error messages are displayed at the very top of the page with a complete <span class="messageStackError">background</span> color.<br><br>Several checks are performed to ensure a healthy setup of your online store - these checks can be disabled by editing the appropriate parameters at the bottom of the includes/application_top.php file.</td></tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/2.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Editing Page Texts</b><br><br>The text shown here can be modified in the following file, on each language basis:<br><br><nobr class="messageStackSuccess">[path to catalog]/includes/languages/' . $language . '/' . FILENAME_DEFAULT . '</nobr><br><br>That file can be edited manually, or via the Administration Tool with the <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Languages->' . ucfirst($language) . '->Define</nobr> or <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Tools->File Manager</nobr> modules.<br><br>The text is set in the following manner:<br><br><nobr>define(\'TEXT_MAIN\', \'<span class="messageStackSuccess">This is a default setup of the osCommerce project...</span>\');</nobr><br><br>The text highlighted in green may be modified - it is important to keep the define() of the TEXT_MAIN keyword. To remove the text for TEXT_MAIN completely, the following example is used where only two single quote characters exist:<br><br><nobr>define(\'TEXT_MAIN\', \'\');</nobr><br><br>More information concerning the PHP define() function can be read <a href="http://www.php.net/define" target="_blank"><u>here</u></a>.</td></tr><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/3.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Securing The Administration Tool</b><br><br>It is important to secure the Administration Tool as there is currently no security implementation available.</td></tr><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/4.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Online Documentation</b><br><br>Online documentation can be read at the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.info" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Knowledge Base</u></a> site.<br><br>Community support is available at the <a href="http://forums.oscommerce.com" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Community Support Forums</u></a> site.</td></tr></table><br>If you wish to download the solution powering this shop, or if you wish to contribute to the osCommerce project, please visit the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com" target="_blank"><u>support site of osCommerce</u></a>. This shop is running on osCommerce version <font color="#f0000"><b>' . PROJECT_VERSION . '</b></font>.');
    define('TABLE_HEADING_NEW_PRODUCTS', 'New Products For %s');
    define('TABLE_HEADING_UPCOMING_PRODUCTS', 'Upcoming Products');
    define('TABLE_HEADING_DATE_EXPECTED', 'Date Expected');

if ( ($category_depth == 'products') || (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) ) {
    define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Let\'s See What We Have Here');
    define('TABLE_HEADING_IMAGE', '');
    define('TABLE_HEADING_MODEL', 'Model');
    define('TABLE_HEADING_PRODUCTS', 'Product Name');
    define('TABLE_HEADING_MANUFACTURER', 'Manufacturer');
    define('TABLE_HEADING_QUANTITY', 'Quantity');
    define('TABLE_HEADING_PRICE', 'Price');
    define('TABLE_HEADING_WEIGHT', 'Weight');
    define('TABLE_HEADING_BUY_NOW', 'Buy Now');
    define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS', 'There are no products to list in this category.');
    define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS2', 'There is no product available from this manufacturer.');
    define('TEXT_NUMBER_OF_PRODUCTS', 'Number of Products: ');
    define('TEXT_SHOW', '<b>Show:</b>');
    define('TEXT_BUY', 'Buy 1 \'');
    define('TEXT_NOW', '\' now');
    define('TEXT_ALL_CATEGORIES', 'All Categories');
    define('TEXT_ALL_MANUFACTURERS', 'All Manufacturers');
    } elseif ($category_depth == 'top') {
    define('HEADING_TITLE', 'What\'s New Here?');
    } elseif ($category_depth == 'nested') {
    define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Categories');
    }
    ?>

Re: Cannot for the life of me edit ecommerce home page

I think they are referring to the page editor, or thats what i seem to recall with oscommerce, to edit your page, and not the actual index file.

FILENAME_DEFAULT . '</nobr><br><br>That file can be edited manually, or via the Administration Tool with the <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Languages->' . ucfirst($language) . '->Define</nobr> or <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Tools->File Manager</nobr> modules.<br><br>The text is set in the following manner:<br><br><nobr>define(\'TEXT_MAIN\', \'<span class="messageStackSuccess">This is a default setup of the osCommerce project...</span>\');</nobr><br><br>The text highlighted in green may be modified - it is important to keep the define() of the TEXT_MAIN keyword. To remove the text for TEXT_MAIN completely, the following example is used where only two single quote characters exist:<br><br><nobr>define(\'TEXT_MAIN\', \'\');</nobr><br><br>More information concerning the PHP define() function can be read <a href="http://www.php.net/define" target="_blank"><u>here</u></a>.</td></tr><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/3.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Securing The Administration Tool</b><br><br>It is important to secure the Administration Tool as there is currently no security implementation available.</td></tr><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/4.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Online Documentation</b><br><br>Online documentation can be read at the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.info" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Knowledge Base</u></a> site.<br><br>Community support is available at the <a href="http://forums.oscommerce.com" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Community Support Forums</u></a> site.</td></tr></table><br>If you wish to download the solution powering this shop, or if you wish to contribute to the osCommerce project, please visit the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com" target="_blank"><u>support site of osCommerce</u></a>
    See where I hilighted in red? Thats where you go to edit it .

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Re: Cannot for the life of me edit ecommerce home page

Please, please can someone point out where im going wrong............
      Im trying to edit the wording on home page from the default shown below, i`ve gone back to the tutorials time and time again and following instructions to no avail. It states in the tutorial that I have to keep wording between the comma marks and input my own text between them???!!!!!

Could some use the code below and highlight (bold) which bits i need to delete, so i can then finally choose my own wording!
      I HAVE ALL MY FAITH IN YOU.....................THANKS, Steve
      The main text for home page is found in includes/languages/english/index.php (assuming you are working in English) and the Welcome bit is in includes/languages/english.php and you edit both these files to your liking.

Nice to be able to offer an answer rather than ask!

Comment

Working...
      X