Scrollbar problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrollbar problem

There is a scroll bar at the bottom of each of my webpages at www.biccorp.net that only scrolls over to a few inches of empty space. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with information as to why this scrollbar is present and how I can get rid of it.

Thanks!

Re: Scrollbar problem

Right-click on the BV page and select properties.
    Adjust the width of the page. Most designers use 800 width as 20% of pc users still use 800x600 resolutions. If this is too narrow for you, try not to go wider than 1000.
    Bless you
    Tom

Comment

I tried this. I changed the width to multiple different sizes and the scrollbar remains there at the bottom, basically unchanged. Please help, it appears on all of my pages. I also tried to shrink all of my information to fit into the guide borders, but that only makes my page appear squished to the left, and the scrollbar still appears. There is nothing viewable when you scroll over all the way to the right. It is just blank screen.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Comment

Have you centered you r page in page properties?
        Liz
        www.sebastopolparty.com
        www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

and if that (post 4) does not solve the problem, there might be something outside your actual content page. Select "Select All" from the View menu. Then see if you see the selection handles of any objects that should not be there. If so, delete those unwanted objects.

Else, you could upload a bvp (BV) file so that we can take a look.

One more thing: Your picture on the index page (the man holding the globe) is 845kb. Far to large and very slow to load. You have sized that image by just dragging the handles. I will recommend you use Pixresiser to resize that image. Test your site on this link: http://www.sitereportcard.com/
          Bless you
          Tom

Comment

Tom,

Sorry for the delayed response, we got bogged down with some other things here at the office. Thank you for offering to look at my pages. How would I upload a bvp file for you to access?

Thanks again,
            Suzanne

Comment

Originally posted by BIC View Post
              Tom,

Sorry for the delayed response, we got bogged down with some other things here at the office. Thank you for offering to look at my pages. How would I upload a bvp file for you to access?

Thanks again,
              Suzanne
              Couple of things
              Your page needs to be centered. Go to page properties and tic the box that says 'center in browser'

Your images have been sized manually, that is, squished and/or pulled to fit the spaces where you ahve placed them.
              Use pix resizer (a free download) to amke them the size you want arther than mashing them artifically. This will eliminate any distortion and make your page load faster.

Also, did you do as Tom suggested and
              "Select "Select All" from the View menu. Then see if you see the selection handles of any objects that should not be there. If so, delete those unwanted objects."

After you have done all of this - do you still have blank space only on the right?
              Liz
              www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

Hi Lara,

Thanks for your assistance in this matter. I used the pic resizer for the pic on the index page, yet I still had to manipulate it a little to get the proper fit. I also checked the center in page option under page properties. It added white to the left margin, and did not help to remove the bottom scroll bar.

I chose the select all option to see if there were any loose hanging items hidden to the right of the page. It doesn't appear that there is. When in design mode, I do not have a scrollbar on the bottom to view past the About Us... etc links. The blue boxes indicate that the items end at the right margin of the banner picture and About Us... etc links.

There is still empty space to the right. I have left the center page option checked so that you can see the difference it made on the index page.

Thanks again for your assistance in this matter,
                Suzanne

Comment

Hi Lara,

Thanks for your assistance in this matter. I used the pic resizer for the pic on the index page, yet I still had to manipulate it a little to get the proper fit. I also checked the center in page option under page properties. It added white to the left margin, and did not help to remove the bottom scroll bar.

I chose the select all option to see if there were any loose hanging items hidden to the right of the page. It doesn't appear that there is. When in design mode, I do not have a scrollbar on the bottom to view past the About Us... etc links. The blue boxes indicate that the items end at the right margin of the banner picture and About Us... etc links.

There is still empty space to the right. I have left the center page option checked so that you can see the difference it made on the index page.

Thanks again for your assistance in this matter,
                  Suzanne
                  Hmmmm...
                  Okay, another question -
                  When you are building your page, you should be building it right up to the very top and tight to the left in the sitebuilder, not trying to center it at all. Are you doing this?

Your logo has an actual size of 784px × 350px, yet you have shrunk it manually to 240px × 105px. Use the pix resizer on this one as well.

The picture of the man and the globe has an actual size of 1,113px × 1,707px, and you have shrunk this manually to 196px × 272px. This needs to be fixed as well.

Also you should be sure your images are named with no spaces in the name, and all in lower case. BOth your header and the image of man and globe appear to have spaces in the names.

WE will get to the bottom of this.. . .
                  Liz
                  www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

Lara,

I did not build the page based on the grid borders. I enabled them and rebuilt the index page using the set perameters. I then checked the center in page option. You can see the results on the home page. As you will see, this did resolve the scrollbar issue. Thank you. : ) However there is now about an inch of blank space on either side of the page. Is there a way to decrease these margins to minimze the blank space on the pages?

I also resized the logo using the picresizer. It looks a million times better. Thanks!

Thanks again,
                    Suzanne

Comment

Lara,

I did not build the page based on the grid borders. I enabled them and rebuilt the index page using the set perameters. I then checked the center in page option. You can see the results on the home page. As you will see, this did resolve the scrollbar issue. Thank you. : ) However there is now about an inch of blank space on either side of the page. Is there a way to decrease these margins to minimze the blank space on the pages?

I also resized the logo using the picresizer. It looks a million times better. Thanks!

Thanks again,
                      Suzanne
                      Great Improvement!

Not really a way to minimize the space on the sides.

Here is the thing. In order to ensure that the maximum amount of people can view your site without side scroll (which is most annoying to most folks), you build your site to a max of 800. In doing so, you include the 20% or so visitors who have smaller screens or use lower resolutions for viewing the net.

If you built to a wider size you might reduce the white margins, but then you might alienate some potential customers.

So how wide you build it is a business decision of sorts ..

Having said all that, many people build to 1000, but have less critical information on the outside edges of their sites - nothing that would cause a loss.. have a look at Bether's sites for an example. Here is one: A Child's Palace

If you leave it at 800, make sure you maximize the available space within those parameters, rather than leaving space on the outside of your elements.
                      Liz
                      www.sebastopolparty.com

Comment

Hi BIC, Sorry for not responding earlier, but it looks like Liz has sorted out your problems.

BUT, when I saw your menubars, I suspected to see problems in Firefox and I did when I tested it. Your Services menu text cuts off to the right when you expand Services. Click Drop menu not expanding fully in Firefox to find the solution to this problem. Enjoy.
                        Bless you
                        Tom

Comment

Liz,

Thank you for all of your assistance. I think I have this scrollbar thing under control now. Thank you so much.

Tom, thank you for the tip in regards to the service menu.

You all have been very helpful.

Thank you!
                          Suzanne

Comment

Working...
                          X