Newbie Here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Here!

Hi, I first like to say, I just started today and have been reading all the support that is on this website and have to say that it is wonderful. My question is if a person (ME) has no clue on web design and is actually a beginner at computers besides the basics and games, can they learn how to do this or do I need to have more extensive training. It's just a thought, everything looks complicated and I also believe that I may be reading more into it then it really is making it seem hard.

The Internet is a scary place. (LOL)

LaTonja

Re: Newbie Here!

Welcome! The best thing you can do is go to this page http://www.vodahost.com/tut1.htm and digest as much information as you can. It will give you a very solid foundation on which to build. If you're stumped by something after watching the tutorials, post your question here - someone will have the answer.
    My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Thank you racefan20, I really like the way people @ this discussion board go out of there way to help and encourage others. I am truely glad I found this site. I really like your site, I wish I can do half as good as you did. Now I'm off to the study room.(LOL)

Thanks again
      latonja

Comment

Latonja yes newbie's can learn I did. I knew nothing about web design about six months ago. I do process extensive knowledge in programming but chose Blue Voda. I got tired of it. Blue Voda does require a bit of a learning but compared to other programs out there for web design, Blue Voda is far superior. I suggest take the time to learn and there are alot of people on this forum who will be more than happy to assist you. pet121

Comment

Hi pet121 I'd like to ask a question, since you were a newbie when you started where did you start, well I guess I am asking, there is so much information to absorb, I don't really know where should I start. I know I am just starting but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am really anxious to start designing my webpages.

Thanks a bunch
          latonja

Comment

Originally posted by latonja
            Hi pet121 I'd like to ask a question, since you were a newbie when you started where did you start, well I guess I am asking, there is so much information to absorb, I don't really know where should I start. I know I am just starting but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am really anxious to start designing my webpages.

Thanks a bunch
            latonja
            I suggest going through the Blue Voda tutorials and be sure you understand them. While you are doing this try them out in the Blue voda program. Just open a blank page and experiment. When you exit the page the program will ask you to save page as what. Just save as experiment page.

Next have a plan. Draw it out on paper if you have to as to what you website look like. For help on this, search the web for similiar sites just to give you some ideas.

Most important, take the time to learn its well worth it!!!

Once you have mastered the program move forward into other areas like search engine optimization. This topic is huge and is very important in my opinion. A website not optimized properly I beleive is completly a waste of time.

But remember no programming knowledge is needed in Blue Voda just the ability, desire, and time to learn. And again there are alot of people on this forum who are more then willing to help.

In my opinion do not publish anything until you are 100% ready. What I did was I put up a coming soon page. gave be a bit of ahead start. Then I began building my site one page at a time.

MY site is still 1/4 complete but I rank high. I could publish 30 pages tomorrow but I do one at a time once a week. But when you learn more about search engine optimization you will know what to do. pet121

Comment

Hi there, I also just started and didn't know anything when I begun. I have some idea how you can begin and make life easier. I will be happy to share with you some pointers base on the difficulties which I have experience but first may I ask you some questions?

Have you downloaded the BlueVoda yet?

Are you familiar with Windows operating system, like where your files are,,pictures, images, word files, file extensions, , naming files, saving files, folders etc..? How about the use of your mouse for file management, like what right click or double click can do etc..?

Are you familiar with some internet terminologies like URL, html, Links, hyperlinks, website. webpage, download, upload, forms, image forms i.e .gif, . jpeg, text forms, styles etc.. ?

Getting familiar with all these basics will make your life easier and have more fun learning how to build your site.

It will be a pleasure to help.

Sam

Comment

Hi again, thank you all so much, I really feel now I can do it since I see I am not alone. Sam you wanted to know if I downloaded the BlueVoda, yes I did, and I am familiar with some internet terminology, but get lost with the, gif,. jpeg, text forms, and things like that. I am however more familiar with the MS word program, not a pro but a little more familiar then the Internet stuff. I hope I am making since. By the way, I am having a lot of fun with the training of the program, so glad I stumbled across this.
                I am currently paying for my website that I have right now, so I figured why not build my own and save some money. Pet121 thank you for your advice also.

Thank you again.
                Latonja

Comment

That is great, Latonja. I am sure you are going to enjoy learning it. However there are really a lot to learn, just make sure you master one item at a time. This way you are not going to be overwhemed.

Here are my suggestions;

You probably downloaded the latest BlueVoda, right?
                  Take note. The tutorials are still based on the earlier version and here are some basic difference so you wont get confuse when you start actually following the tutorials.

I also suggest you do this first before you start anything.

-- click on Layout and select Guidesettings. Select show guide border and set your width to 800 and the lenght to 600. Then make sure you do all your work within this border. Why? a lot of reason you will find out later. For sure this will save you a lot of time because it will prevent you from making some of the errors that others like me did. I had to redo my layout after doing a few pages.

---Click on the Tools and select Options then select Use drag and drop to create new objects. The earlier version was always in this mode. This is why the turtorials are on this basis. The new one gave you a choice. Try to experiment on it and see the difference.

---- It is great that you know MS WORD. This will help you a lot because you can also copy and paste from Word to Bluevoda. For one thing you can do spell check, and you will always have a copy or record of what you wrote. This is best used if you are writing paragraphs after paragraphs. When pasting to BlueVoa make sure you select text and then double click just like you are going to write but instead you are pasting the text.

--- My own experience tells me that if I am going to do it over again (learn for the first time) I will first master the TEXT and then the Inserting Images. Learn the Shapes, the Tables next. Using templates and creating backgrounds are also important but after you learn how to insert images you will also learn how to handle the templates. Easy..

Please give me some feedbacks if these suggestions indeed made sense to you and if it assisted you in some way or the other. I would like to know, maybe it will help other beginners too.

Lots of luck to you and enjoy your learning experience

Sam

Comment

Hi Sam, yes it all made sense and I thank you very much. I also believe that this will help someone if this is there first time I know it is helping me, that is why I keep coming back looking for suggestions, so keep up the good work in taking the time to help the new people, it is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Thank you, Oh by the way did I say Thank you (LOL)

Latonja

Comment

Excellent tips!
                      May I add one thing?
                      The choice of fonts can be an issue too. I picked some fancy fonts and they turned to Roman Times News on other computers. Make sure to choose web-safe fonts on this reference table:http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...ts/fonts02.htm

Comment

Working...
                      X