Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• margins etc

Hi,
    I am a new user, and a neophyte with HTML and building web sites. Hope someone can help me out.
    Four questions (for now) which I need to sort out before I carry on:

1. How can I - or can I? - indent all my text so it isn't flush against the margins of the frame or text box?
    2. What's the difference between an IFrame and a TextArea box? I ended up putting text in a TextArea box so I could have lots of text and post in a smaller area with the ability scroll. Then couldn't sort out how to bold text and format. I now see that this can be done by using an IFrame and creating a separate page and putting the url link to the text page. Can this be done with a TextArea box as well? I don't understand the difference in the two and want to be sure I do before I go any further.
    3. If I use the IFrame method, and I have lots of documets to post, does that mean that I name them text1, text2, text3 and on and on?
    4. I read one posting which said webpage should be 600X800. Then this am read another which said it can be any size you want. I started re-doing because love the idea of more room, but am having second thoughts. What is the impact on viewing if I exceed the 600X800? And, if it's no problem, why the recommend of the small 600x800?

Appreciate any and all help.
    Sylvia

Re: margins etc

Hi, Sylvia. I can offer suggestions for a couple of your questions and no doubt someone will come along who can help with the rest. To get the text to look nice and neat, put it into tables and that will allow you to position it in a fashion that looks good to you.As far as the width of your page, it's true that you can build in width you desire, but anything above 600 pixels wide may cause visitors to your site to have to scroll right and left to read your pages, and they probably won't stay long if that's the case. If 600 pixels wide is too restricting, you can probably get away with 800 wide, but anything beyond that will cause problems for your visitors.
    My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Thank you. I will try that for my text boxes. But, will I be able to scroll in tables? I need to use something which will take more text than I can post on one page, therefore wound up trying the TextArea which allows me to scroll, but I can't format and the text is smack against the margin. If I could just have it in from the margin a wee bit.....?
      I redid my page size to 600. Perhaps will try 800. Must say the 600 is easier for me to handle. But perhaps I'll try 800 and see what happens.
      Thanks. This is great. Help at my fingertips. Much appreciated.
      Sylvia

Comment

No, you can't scroll in tables, so I guess that won't work for you. Iframes might be your best bet, but I don't use them and can't really offer any help there.
        My NASCAR Forum

Comment

I'll give IFrames a shot. Thank you.
          Sylvia

Comment

An Iframe would be your best solution.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
            02036089024 / United Kingdom
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Also noticed that it was said you can't scroll in text boxes, but seems to me I read people talking about scrolling in them.

Sylvia

Comment

Working...
              X