No announcement yet.

Other things involved with SE position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other things involved with SE position?

Hi guys,

This might sound like a really silly question but I am still learning. I was doing research on websites that ranked higher than me on keywords in Google, for example 'acupuncture', and found many sites that had very few keywords and very low or no ranking in better position than me.

How does that work? Are there other things involved in position?
    Matt Roessler
    Pain-Free Acupuncture
    www.painfreeacupuncture.com.au

Re: Other things involved with SE position?

Hi Matt,

Not a silly question at all.. In fact a very important question!

There are many many factors and you can do no better than starting here.

Your site could contain the word 'acupuncture' in it 10 x more than any other site but that wouldn't mean it would be at the top for this reason alone.

Clever, simplistic content, user friendly site (ease of use, navigation, readable fonts etc), good page titles, meta descriptions, keywords, page headers and links in to your site are major factors too, but not limited to..

The best advise that floats around here a lot is build your site with your customer in mind and not the search engines. When your potential customer views your site, can he/she see within seconds, what you do, how you do it, how much it may cost, how to order, how to contact you....

making your keywords/phrases more spe******t to you will help.

e.g type 'wedding dresses' into Google you get 281,000 results. Now type 'second hand wedding dresses' in you already narrow down the results to 231,000. Now type in 'second hand wedding dresses in Nevada'.. it goes down to 28,000..... You see the picture?

So if you sold second hand wedding dresses in Nevada, then look at using this as your main keyphrase set up. Place that in your page title and you stand more chance of getting to page one than just using 'wedding dresses'

So if you have something to offer that is unique to you, or that at least narrows the search down, use this to your advantage. If you offer accupuncture in just your town then utilise this. Don't try to compete for a place on the SE with general acupuncture sites...

I just noticed you have done just this in your page title and look... page one of Google..number one..

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...le+Search&meta=

Of course, there is always room for improvement but this is a good start.

Hope that helps a bit?
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Longevity also plays a major role in this, and also how long your domain is registered for will give you another few points. Sites that have been around a couple of years tend to cash in on ranking simply because they withstood some tests of time and still in business.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi Ramsey,

Thanks for the indepth insight into positioning. I will re-address the content on my site so thanks again for the reply.

Karen thanks for letting me know that about companies that have been around for a while. I know I am just new but it is frustrating trying to put all the things in order to still not be where you want. I guess that is all part of the game.

Thanks again guys.
        Matt Roessler
        Pain-Free Acupuncture

Comment

You have a wonderful site Matt and well laid out. One thing tho, try and find another position for that 'links' link , as it causes a sidewards scroll on your home page. Best place is at the bottom of your site as you don't want too many hits to that page anyway.
          Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Hi Ramsey,

Thanks for that! I was wondering where to put the Link. It was just sort of floating out there. I will fit it in down the bottom. Cheers.
            Matt Roessler
            Pain-Free Acupuncture

Comment

Working...
            X