Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I add a simple password protected area to my site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I add a simple password protected area to my site?

My site is for communication with club members and member prospects. Several members have asked to protect their personal info (phone no, email, etc.) Is there a simple way to set up a semi-secure page for this. I would like to give out a generic password to all club members. I don't want anything complicated.

Thanks for your help.

Re: How do I add a simple password protected area to my site?

Hi, you need to create a folder in c panel & pop any pages that you want behind the pass word into this folder. LINK TO SOME HELP
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

I watched the video on password protection. Is there a way to drill down to just one link to protect? Cpanel shows public_html (current folder), but I can't look at any subfolders. I only want to protect the Members tab. I don't want to require a password for the whole site. I'm just stupid I guess, but I can't figure this out.

Can you give me any pointers here?
      Thanks

Comment

Hi, go to your cpanel & the public_html area & create a new folder called? address.
        Now follow the video clip on how to password protect the folder.
        You will now publish any pages you want behind the secure area to /public_html/address/
        When you now try and access one of these pages, you will get the password screen pop up asking for the password you have used.
        You can if needed create as many folders as you want with different passwords. Or just publish your BV pages to the one folder with just the one password.
        Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Originally posted by Collectors-info View Post
          Hi, go to your cpanel & the public_html area & create a new folder called? address.
          Now follow the video clip on how to password protect the folder.
          You will now publish any pages you want behind the secure area to /public_html/address/
          When you now try and access one of these pages, you will get the password screen pop up asking for the password you have used.
          You can if needed create as many folders as you want with different passwords. Or just publish your BV pages to the one folder with just the one password.
          Chris,
          I have a folder called membersonly and I have it protected with a password. The lock shows on Cpanel. Problem is, I can't get my members page to publish in this folder. It keeps going directly under my public_html folder. I feel like an idiot, please help.

Comment

I don't seem to be able to password protect a folder in an add-on domain. When I go to File Manager I only seem to be able to access my main domain and haven't been able to find a way to pull up the add-on domain main folder.
            Can any-one help, please?!!

Comment

Why? usually there is a (+) sign, beside the "public_html" you need to click that to expand the public_html, so that your addon domain folder becomes visible.
              Navaldesign
              Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
              Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
              DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
              Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Originally posted by deebetty View Post
                Chris,
                I have a folder called membersonly and I have it protected with a password. The lock shows on Cpanel. Problem is, I can't get my members page to publish in this folder. It keeps going directly under my public_html folder. I feel like an idiot, please help.

www.cmlfclub.com
                Hi, i missed this post, sorry!
                Have you tried publishing to /public_html/membersonly/ even a simple page called ???? test. The link would then be like bellow, & entered via a password screen. www.cmlfclub.com/membersonly/test.html

Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi
                  Thanks for the reply. I have now added and password protected a directory to my added domain to create

However when I tried to publish a file, also called minutes, by choosing newtonaycliffeac/minutes
                  I got a 'failed' message saying there was no directory called minutes -athough it is clearly shown in File Manager.
                  I am obviously doing something wrong but can't think what!
                  Thanks,
                  Richard
                  (whiterabbitdesigns.co.uk)

Comment

I di find a protected folder in your site, but it is called "members" , not "minutes"
                    Navaldesign
                    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

I don't understand it - File Manager definitely shows newtonaycliifeac/minutes as a file and Pasword Protect shows it as protected!

Comment

A simple solution to just password protect 1 single file... password protect the entire directory of the directory that contains the file...

In that directory, open up the file called ".htaccess"

It should have code that looks like
                        Code:
                        AuthType basic
                        [COLOR=SeaGreen]AuthName "This directory is protected"[/COLOR]
                        [COLOR=SeaGreen]AuthUserFile /home/path/.[/COLOR][COLOR=SeaGreen]htpasswd[/COLOR]      [COLOR=Red]<- this will be different for you[/COLOR]
                        AuthGroupFile /dev/null
                        Require valid-user
                        It needs to look like this
                        Code:
                         <Files [COLOR=Blue]secure.php[/COLOR]>
                        AuthType Basic
                        [COLOR=SeaGreen]AuthName "Prompt"
                        AuthUserFile /home/path/.htpasswd[/COLOR] 
                        Require valid-user
                        </Files>
                        Change the blue code to the exact name of the file

Move the code in green from your original code in the .htaccess file to the code I gave you for the single file

I hope that made sense

Register/Login Script
                        Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

I have started again from scratch. I have deleted the 'minutes' folder and protected the 'members' folder again. I have saved my 'minutes' file to the folder and it shows in File Manager as being there. The folder 'members' has a padlock next to it in the passwordprotect area, and I have named the resource to be protected as 'members' too. But still no protection on the site - link goes straight through! Don't know what else to do - can anyone help, please. Will need to add other files later.
                          Thanks,
                          Richard

Comment

your "members" folder IS protected, it asks for a username/password.

The reason it didn't ask YOU is probably because you were already logged in.

Close ALL your browser windows, completely, and then open it again, and try to go the "members" folder. You will see that you are asked for username/password.
                            Navaldesign

Comment

Hi Naval Design
                              I'm sorry to keep bothering you with this but I STILL can't get a password screen up to prevent open access to my 'minutes' file.
                              I did as you suggested and closed everything down - no good
                              I checked File Manager to make sure 'minutes' IS in the 'members' directory - Yes
                              I checked Password Control to make sure the directory IS still locked - Yes
                              I then decided to follow your instructions for password protecting a single page - STILL no good.
                              I must be really stupid but I DO need to protect this page.
                              Would you mind having another look at it please and see if you can spot an error somewhere
                              Many thanks,
                              Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X