Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Link to download software - How to do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Link to download software - How to do it?

Hello,

I want to place a button on a new website I am creating that allows a software download. I have the ".exe" file on my PC so wanted to know how I can achieve exactly the same result as clicking the red button marked "free demo" here on this site page please; Is there a tutorial to do this?

Thanks for any help.
    www.punchardrenovation.com
    www.direct2view.com
    client ID 10225

Re: Link to download software - How to do it?

Hi, you are usually best popping this type of file in a zip folder & uploading it to your site. The folder will then have a url link that if someone clicks on it a download will start. (Works the same as adding a link on an image to another page, but instead it will start a download)
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thanks Chris but am a bit perplexed as how to do this. I currently have the unzipped file saved in my documents an an executable programme.

How do I get to the stage of having it as a clickable button. In the website link I posted with the example, when you click on the free demo button you get a pop up dialogue box with the standard choices of 'run , save or cancel" .

How do I incoporate it into a BV page please?
      www.direct2view.com
      client ID 10225

Comment

Hi, if its a normal word or xL doc, you would just upload the doc to your web area as the document had been saved. So if you uploaded a file that you made in word called "dl1" to your public_html area. The link from your button would be www.punchardrenovation.com/dl1.doc
        If you are thinking of an .exe file? Pop it in a zip, as most people wont download a .exe direct to there machine. Personally its not a bad idea to zip most files, as it reduces the download times dramatically.
        Putting it on your page is the same as linking to another page, but you just put the link to the file in the URL field.
        Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thank you again Chris for your help - I've just about got it sorted now (I think !)
          www.direct2view.com
          client ID 10225

Comment

Working...
          X