• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meta tags?

Is there a definitive way of writing these things? What would be best:

greek hotel kea
    greekhotelkea
    greek-hotel-kea

I'm completely clueless, please help. I've realized that my tags need to directly relate to page content but don't know how to best write them.

What is the most important thing we can do to maximise SE attention? I've set up a sitemap, informed Google, what else should I be doing?
    Thank you,
    Marcie
    www.redtractorfarm.com
    www.iloveacorns.com
    www.halfkilofeta.com

Re: Meta tags?

If you are talking about your keyword meta - never run the words together as your 2nd choice, that reads as all one word. First choice is best.

I already posted to you on this same info and you haven't made any changes I suggested - did you read the ebook in my signature?

You need a title that reflects your keywords. You need headlines (preferably in h1 tags) on your pages (again using the keywords for those pages). etc etc.

And, actually - the meta keywords tag won't help you with search engines - but using them wrong could possibly hurt you.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Beth,

Yes, of course the first thing I did last night was read your e-book.
      It was very helpful and I thank you profusely for having taken the time and energy to put it together.

Your first point in the book is that design and content are key to a successful website. I believe that in these fields I have managed well. Unfortunately, I have no web background and am quite clueless when it comes to the technical side of webmastering.

The term meta tags I am using because that is the way the tab is called under 'page properties'. Are these the same as meta descriptions?-have no idea. I will retitle all of my pages now that I cleaned house and brought the site down to where I want it. I've spent 30 of the last 45 hours paring the site down so as not to spend even more time working on dead wood.
      So, I apologize if it appears that I haven't done anything since yesterday.

Thank you,
      Marcie
      www.redtractorfarm.com
      www.iloveacorns.com
      www.halfkilofeta.com

Comment

keyword meta = meta tag ?
        h1 tag ? What does this mean ?
        Marcie
        www.redtractorfarm.com
        www.iloveacorns.com
        www.halfkilofeta.com

Comment

meta tags include a LOT of different tags. When you go into page properties, it asks for a title, description and keywords. The title and description are very important. The keywords are only important to not spam - and won't hurt if you don't even fill them out. However, putting in just a couple of the major keywords for the page won't hurt.

An h1 tag is a way of formatting a headline on the page. Think of a newspaper. they have one story that merits the headline of the paper. Then each section gets it's own headline. Your site should be the same - one major headline on the index page, then others that represents the best of what each other page is about. If you put these in h1 tags, it tells the se's that these are the headlines.

They should only be used properly, as the se's also recognize if they aren't. If you do a search on the forum you can find how to do these.

Here is one thread on the topic: http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/sea...2-tags-so.html
          Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

Thank you Beth,
            I think you've managed to teach this old dog a new trick.
            Inserted an <h1> tag successfully on my home page. Wish
            I'd known about this BEFORE I "finished" my site!

Now my h1 tag and page decription are the same, what's next?
            I mean what else should I do at this point to maximise SE attention?
            Marcie
            www.redtractorfarm.com
            www.iloveacorns.com
            www.halfkilofeta.com

Comment

Well, your h1 and page description shouldn't be the same. The h1 is a headline - the page description should be a short paragraph about what the page is about - using the keywords - in an advertising type fashion.

2 completely different things. So, what you did on the home page - the description is good, but the headline is not. Try making it a real headline:
              Hotel | Gourmet Cannery in Kea, Greece

What are your keywords for this page? Will people know your name that are searching? Or do you want them to find you because they search for hotel or cannery? Because your page title is still not good unless you are expecting them to search by your name. It doesn't tell me anything. The page title would be better to be similar to the headline - with your name at the END of it.
              Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
              SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
              X