X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS Commerce Confirguration - Support Request

Dear,

My Domain name is: www.AR-Fashion.com

1) I have the following business need: set up a store on the internet for my shop for customers to buy products. To do this I have requested a domain name at Vodahost and I have installed osCommerce in my root of my domain name, please see "www.AR-Fasion.com". After installing osCommerce I would like to configure the default settings of osCommerce and tailer to my own specific text/logo's and other specifics of my own business. Her comes the problem:

a) I have tried to replace the current osCommerce logos' and text with my own logo's and text but failed. I have change the permission of the files in osCommerce to from "755" to "777" and tried to upload and replace with my own files, but somehow this is not successful and I don't see the changes refelcted on the web.
    I have studied the tutorials of Vodahost and OS Commerce. The tutorials are advising not to use the file manager in OSCommerce, so I used the file manager of my Vodahost account to change the osCOmmerce default setting. I have tried to change the file in the "public directory" bu again failed. Please advise.

2) Second question is: To tailer the osCommerce installation default text and logo's to my specific needs is there a more easy way to replace all the HTM files by using a osCommerce template? I have downloaded a free osCommerce template from your website (template number 2606). How can I use this template and integrate with the osCommerce installation.

Please note so far I did not use the "Bluevoda website builder" but I have requested a 1) a domain name (successul), installed osCommerce (successful) and I would like to tayler the osCommerce default settings, text and logo's (UNSUCCESSFUL).

Please advise how to proceed or do I need to use another approach to set up my osCommerce shop on the web.

Please advise, thanks very much!

Kind regards.

Re: OS Commerce Confirguration - Support Request

OsCommerce can be a bit tricky when it comes to customization. But there are lots of resources available. Google can help out a lot with specific issues and there is always the OsCommerce forum. The Voda Host tutorials are good for getting the basics changed as well.

Most of the content of your store is manged in the Admin section but the layout of the store is changed by modifying the actual files.

I use OsCommerce for my site and have been playing around with it for some time. Sometimes it takes a lot of patience to find what you need.

1) It looks like you did manage to get the logo to change so I'm guessing you got that figured out. It also looks like you managed to add a few new categories. You can remove all of the default categories and products in the Admin section

2) I can't speak to using template for the site as I've customized the layout of my site using the existing files and tailoring them to my needs. To do this you will need an FTP program to upload the files and a good PHP editor (I use Dev-PHP) and a file comparison tool like WinMerge.

For specific issues I use Google. Simply search on OsCommerce and whatever you would like to change. You will find lot's of resources out there. Best of luck.

HTH
    Mattski

http://www.ScorpioFire.com

Comment

I just downloaded OScommerce store to my domain. Now I can't find the configuration page -- how do I get to that so I can get started.

All I find is I clicked on my webpage for store and have all kinds of garbage items on it and a whole lot of some kind of instructions that I have no idea how to do.

Thanks for helping!

Debra

Comment

Debra,

The basic configuration can be made using the tutorial below:

http://www.vodahost.com/tut_osc.htm

You are going to need to be comfortable editing code to effectively use OsCommerce. You can use the basic setup with minimal additional effort but to customize it you need to be able to get into the nuts and bolts.
        Mattski

http://www.ScorpioFire.com

Comment

thanks so much! I found it. I've been wondering if OS is worth the time, or if I should take the time to redo my Bluevoda website into SohoLaunch that already has the shopping cart built into it.

Not sure, though; if I would have to rebuild every single page if SohoLaunch would work better for me. Do you know?

thanks! d

Comment

I'm trying to follow the direction ... how do I uplaod the catalog folder the the root directory

Comment

Working...
            X