Help putting a sitemap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help putting a sitemap

I want to put a Xml site map on my site or have one for google purposes so I go to http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/ its makes me a sitemap and then it says

Download the sitemap file using this link and put it into the "public_html/" folder of your site.

what does this last part mean where do I put it how do I put it in, I know its simple but I'm not sure of the correct way to do it,

thanks,
    ToyDealership.com

Re: Help putting a sitemap

It means download and SAVE the sitemap to your computer. Most likely as sitemap.xml

Now upload it to your site. You can do this in the file manager of your control panel. Just upload it to the public html folder if its for the main domain. If its for an addon.. click into that folder and then upload it.

View the control panel tutorials if you need more assistance with the file manager.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

The File Manager of your control panel is what exactly, upload it to the public html folder yeah it is on the main domain? I know where this is I think I just cant find it, can you just be a bit more specific and tell me where it is.....Thanks

Comment

Help, I still havent got it.

Comment

log into your control panel,once inside go into your file manager, then go into public_html directory - choose upload file, browse through your computer to find the sitemap.xml file, upload it to this difrectory - then apply a link on your index page - choose a text style link saying sitemap and link it to http://www.yourdomain.com/sitemap.xml

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

It never seems to upload it just says uploading i waited for like 10 min then logged out of there, and then saw that it seems to be there, i put the link on the bottom of my index page but when you click you get an all coded wierd kind of map, is that the way its supposed to be? thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohundred View Post
              It never seems to upload it just says uploading i waited for like 10 min then logged out of there, and then saw that it seems to be there, i put the link on the bottom of my index page but when you click you get an all coded wierd kind of map, is that the way its supposed to be? thanks for the reply.
              lol, yes, that is it ... sounds like u have it correct ...

you can set the target to this link as _blank so that if anyone else does click it they wont fall off your site when closing ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Yeah i think i got it then it seems to be on the bottom of my site. I have a question while your here, when I look on my site it looks one way when I go to my friends house and check out my site on his pc the font is different sometimes or the titles are a little bit out of place, why is that and how can i set my site so its the same on all computers or is that possible, ok thanks.

and thanks for the previous response.
                TOYDEALERSHIP.com

Comment

yw

in regards to ur site looking different, sounds like you might be using a few fonts that are not what they call "web friendly"

you see not everyone has all of gthe same fonts as everyone on their computer - but there are some standard fonts, websafe fonts that are what you should stick to using .. you can just do a google search for web friendly fonts and we will find them - arial, courier, verdana -

another reason could be that they are viewing in a different screen resolution or even a larger text view - with your text, it is good to leave an extra space or two after the last character in a line in your text box- this will help prevent the overlapping

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

I see so use a standard webfriendly font and when I write something using the text font box I add a little bit of space after my last character ok i got it.

I have one more question I want to register my site information In Alexa it tells me to do this:
                    Or, Place a file called info.txt on the root of your site

You may place an info.txt file containing your contact info in the root of your site for Alexa to fetch.
                    1. Right-click this link: info.txt. And save it to your computer. Do not edit the file!
                    2. Copy the info.txt file from your computer to the root of your site.
                    3. Verify that the info.txt file is there with your browser. (Go to http://www.toydealership.com/info.txt.)
                    4. One last step! Once you have verified that the file is there, tell us to fetch it by clicking this link: Go Fetch
                    I get everything exept number 2. it says copy it from my Computer to the root so I copy it but where do I paste where is the root exactly.

Thanks a lot you have been so helpful, I just want to learn all this, and Blue Voda has been just great!

ToyDealership.com

Comment

Same place as your sitemap. Thats the ROOT or the BASE of your site. By the way you dont want to link to your sitemap unless its in html. You just put a link to it in the head section of your page in the html so the SE knows its there. Its NOT for your visitors.

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="sitemap" href="sitemap.xml" />

Above is what you put inside the headtags of your home page for the SE finds your sitemap

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Ok I think I got it I went in to my site in Blue Voda I right clicked I clicked HTML and in the top I put in

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="sitemap" href="sitemap.xml" />
                        The code you gave me is that correct.

Also I uploaded the Alexa file the Txt in my root as I did the sitemap and I see the Txt file there but how do I see it at http://www.toydealership.com/info.txt it doesnt show up or How do I make it show up.

Thanks,
                        ToyDealership.com

Comment

O cool I got the alexa thing.

Comment

Can you just see if i put the link in correct, i was wondering how you got this link to, so that I know how to do it myself.

Thank so much.

ToyDealership.com

Comment

It should be between the head tags, but it will work there. I dont remember exactly WHERE i got this information, at some point doing sitemaps.. off of google.. i dont know, but thats where/how you tell the SE to find the sitemap.xml

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                              X