This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to create a link to a PDF file

I've uploaded a PDf and a Word doc to the FTP site successfully, but I can't get them to link properly. The site is www.kzoocoping.com/registration. I feel that I've not done something correctly, can anyone help?

Re: How to create a link to a PDF file

Originally posted by sjbolt View Post
    I've uploaded a PDf and a Word doc to the FTP site successfully, but I can't get them to link properly. The site is www.kzoocoping.com/registration. I feel that I've not done something correctly, can anyone help?

So I take it you have uploaded this .pdf file and the .doc file via the ftp method to your directory ...

you need to now apply the link as

if the .pdf is called registration ... if it is called something else, this needs to be identical in the link, followed by the file extension .pdf for the pdf and .doc for the word document ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Nope, that didn't work either. I get a "file not found on this server. Additionally a 404 error occurred." Your solution makes me ask another question - why use "http" rather than the "ftp" that I tried first? Besides the fact that FTP didn't work?

Comment

Nope, that didn't work either. I get a "file not found on this server. Additionally a 404 error occurred." Your solution makes me ask another question - why use "http" rather than the "ftp" that I tried first? Besides the fact that FTP didn't work?
        Hi...

If your pdf is not working then then one or both of these things are not correct.

1. You have not uploaded this pdf to your public_html directory correctly

and/or

2. You have not applied the name of the pdf correctly within the link ...

Solution - once you have uploaded this pdf to your public_html directory via the ftp method - have a look at what this document is called .. apply the name directly and exactly to the link as shown above ...

- Now as to your question why use http as opposed to ftp .. here is the best I can tell you ...

HTTP - stands for Hyper Text Transfer Protocol - and this protocol (process) is what is followed by all browsers to retrieve all types of data from the internet, it's a standard ...

FTP - File transfer protocol - it's a way of transferring files just like the method you need to use to upload the pdf document so others can retrieve it via http://urdomain.com/nameofpdf.pdf

So now you need to find your pdf, get it a correct address (url) that can be found ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!! Lady Eve you're a life saver! Everything is working fine now. Evidently I didn't upload the files correctly. When I took my time and paid attention to every step, it worked fine. Now the site is working properly, and we're ready to take registrations. Thanks again!

Comment

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!! Lady Eve you're a life saver! Everything is working fine now. Evidently I didn't upload the files correctly. When I took my time and paid attention to every step, it worked fine. Now the site is working properly, and we're ready to take registrations. Thanks again!
            That's great news!! Glad you are sorted!!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
            X