PDA

View Full Version : google .com different from google .com.au

nzbr
01-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know why my page ranks at the 19th position for an specific key word when I search using google.com and when i do the same search for the same key word using google.com.au the site only appears in the 5th page?
It's a big difference between the .com and the .com.au !!
Any ideas?

Cheers,

Bethers
01-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Chances are the .au is going to look first for sites that end in .au.

Also, you'll discover that Google has several "centers" even in the .com. You may not rank the same on all of them, either, although over time that seems to even out.

nzbr
01-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks Bethers,

I hope it does evens out as you said because most of the tourists we get here in NZ come from Australia, therefore having a good position in the Australian Google is very important.
I guess I will have to keep working on the site, updating the pages, the forum, adding new contents and.....WAIT.

Thanks again,

Bethers
01-06-2008, 01:05 AM
Can you buy a .au name in New Zealand? Cuz if you can, it would be good for you to have.

nzbr
01-06-2008, 01:19 AM
Thanks Bethers,

Ok. Got it. It's available.
What should I do then?
By the domain and redirect the people to my .com domain. If yes, How do I do that?

Thanks again,

Bethers
01-06-2008, 05:05 AM
Normally I recommend a redirect - and you can try that and see if it helps with your positioning on .co.au - If after a couple months you don't see improvement - there might be some other ideas here.

Very good that it's available! Do you have to purchase that through a company in AU? Where ever you purchase it and it resides, you'll have an opportunity to point nameservers or park or redirect, etc. You'll want to find the option to redirect and follow the instructions - usually very easy!

nzbr
01-06-2008, 07:49 AM
Hi Bethers,

Yes, I think I will have to go through a company in AU.

Last question (I hope): Shall I keep the name of the business when I buy it like: www.nzbrtours.com.au or once I'm buying a new domain, shall I change it and go straight for my most popular keyword (new zealand tours) and make it part of the new domain:

www.newzealandtours.com.au

Cheers,

Bethers
01-06-2008, 07:00 PM
I don't know what these would cost you - but you might want to get both :) - But if only one, I'd probably get the one with the keywords first.

There are times when owning domain names is a good thing to do - and in your case, again, I'd purchase both - you don't want anyone else to get them :)