What's most "Google Important?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's most "Google Important?"

Hi, my first post. What is the most important factor(s) in being "seen" in the first page(s) of Google- as I create my web site? Is it the name of my website? Other?

Thanks.

Re: What's most "Google Important?"

Read the ebook in my signature.

There is NO one MAGICAL thing that will work. There is no ONE MOST IMPORTANT thing that will work. It's a matter of doing it all right - and basically doing it all right for your viewers/customers - which is really what Google wants to see.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Have you done your keyword research? If so, and as a result you have some good quality search terms, you may wish to consider incorporating them into your page names.

Following on from there, page titles are a major consideration for search engine optimisation, and they too should incorporate search terms.

It's as well to get these factors right at the inception prior to publishing, then when you first publish, you will be off to a flying start.

It's as well to remember that ALL websites can be 'seen' on the first page of Google, depending on what search terms are utilised, the salient issue is to utilise keywords that are relevant, that are actually used in the real world, and that do not have too much competition.

Comment

Page titles and your page description are important factors since these are the results that are found on google .. if you do not provide a description one would be added for you from an array of words you use on your page and those results may not be the results you want or be the results that will encourage someone to click your link. Having your key search term in your page title and description provides good results.

Remember page rank is not everything, as Bethers has advised us many times, and your search results can outrank a page that is ranked higher than you ..

I've started a bit of information and would welcome anyone to add to this on my forum.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi, its not a bad idea to see what your competitors/similar sites are using as page names/titles/& key words, by looking at the page source. Naturally this may have to be adapted to some words on your pages, or the adding of some. But others have got up the Google tree to the NO:1 spot, so its always worth looking at what they are doing right.
          Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Originally posted by Collectors-info View Post
            Hi, its not a bad idea to see what your competitors/similar sites are using as page names/titles/& key words, by looking at the page source. Naturally this may have to be adapted to some words on your pages, or the adding of some. But others have got up the Google tree to the NO:1 spot, so its always worth looking at what they are doing right.
            Only one thing wrong with this though Chris, is if you try and match yourself to the big guys, the ones that have been around for many years, using their keywords won't do you any good imo, so in some cases you may be better off finding your own niche, or using keywords and titles that these guys aren't using so much .. if you know what I mean ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Hi Lady must admit that not many at our level is going to match the big guys, but it’s always good to get some ideas. But you are quite right on not copying the same as they have put in place, but it will be hard to use different key words when aiming at the same targets.

I even checked VH site for key words & descriptions & there are quite a few grammatical errors & words that are not on the pages. I thought VH would lead by example. LOL. Might be mistaken? But couldn’t find <h1> tags or similar on the pages. Makes you wonder!
              Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Re: What's most &quot;Google Important?&quot;

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

Comment

Well, I always check the big guys - as most of them have NOT optimized properly- and you'd be amazed that for many words/phrases, you CAN beat them. Often the reason the big guys are ahead are a few simple points - they've been around longer (longevity does play a factor) and they probably have thousands and thousands of links to them - and don't have to do any linking themselves). Those are benefits of having a big name.

The whole thing is that optmization is not easy and not hard LOL - but it's learning what is important - which is really building the absolutely best site you can for your USERS/CUSTOMERS - using the proper techniques.

Yes, that means putting proper titles on pages, and proper descriptions - and using headlines which is proper writing technique, and using the words your USERS/CUSTOMERS will use.

The point is this person was asking what is the ONE most important thing - there is NO ONE MAGICAL important thing that is going to make you rise above the others. It's a matter of working smart and, for many, getting help. Just be very careful, as most of the help out there isn't worthwhile. Lots of sharks in these here waters.

And look at what you can do wrong. You can read all about titles and headlines and keywords, and density etc etc - and put all your efforts there. But you might be a poor speller, or use bad grammar, or copy text. Guess what - these last three things ALSO factor in - as the se's are looking at everything that is good for your user - and bad grammar, poor spelling, duplicating text (or stealing) is not - so you'll drop right back down.

You can overthink the process - and start doing all kinds of things because the se's like it - and discover after time you've moved to obscurity (maybe to never rise again) because you decided to use bad tactics (keyword stuffing, hidden text - lots of black hat type things) to fool the se's - when none of this was for your users at all. Guess what? These se's are smart and keep getting smarter.
                  Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                  SEO - The Basics

Comment

If you typed the words 'Search engine' into Google, who would you expect to see top of the list?...... Wrong!

How does that work then Beth? ; - )
                    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

I dont think google considers itself merely a search engine. Its a heavily programmed database PLATFORM, I believe based on PYTHON. While it leads the industry as a search engine, it also maintains the biggest database NETWORK and other search engines regularly use its information for their SEARCH features. It is made up of MANY components and doesnt function singly as a search engine. IE: gmail, webmaster tools, ad sense, etc etc. If you NOTE in that search MSN and Yahoo are similarly ranked in the search engine results.. IE: they dont show up in the top 50 or so as a "search engine"

Clear as mud?

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Mac View Post
                        I dont think google considers itself merely a search engine. Its a heavily programmed database PLATFORM, I believe based on PYTHON. While it leads the industry as a search engine, it also maintains the biggest database NETWORK and other search engines regularly use its information for their SEARCH features.

Clear as mud?

Karen

ahh... but I can prove you wrong there Karen... I just typed in 'heavily programmed database PLATFORM' into Google..... and they never appeared ; - )
                        Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

LOL.. I didnt say they'd render themselves as that in a search result. You asked why , I was explaining.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Sorry... British Humour ...

Comment

And, it actually proves my point - that many of the "big boys" are NOT optimized for the terms you expect them to be. Therefore you can get above them.
                              Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                              SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
                              X