Text formatting & Rendering in Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Text formatting & Rendering in Preview

I am new BV user. All the features look great. However, am struggling with three big issues.
    1. The text isn't WYSIWYG in terms of size. Always turns out much smaller in Preview. The generated HTML shows that the prompt such as "Double Click to edit" has font done in "pt" such as Arial 10pt; however, as soon as an edit is done, the format changes to a "px" type. This spells a lot of trouble and inconvenience.
    2. The drop-down menu has very poor formatting features...too rudimentary and look very ugly.
    3. The navigation bars cannot be resized at all nor can the colors be changed
    I have been struggling for the last 7 seven days trying to get around these problems. BV seems to have a lot of powerful features, but it seems not to be able to perform these rather basic functions...a real pity.

Is there anyone in the BV user community who has a solution to these problems ? Am on the verge of abandoning BV and re-do using perhaps FrontPage. But it has cost me like $100 per day...and feel stupid about giving up BV's other functional features. Thanks a zillion first

Re: Text formatting & Rendering in Preview

Originally posted by ksneoh View Post
    I am new BV user. All the features look great. However, am struggling with three big issues.
    1. The text isn't WYSIWYG in terms of size. Always turns out much smaller in Preview. The generated HTML shows that the prompt such as "Double Click to edit" has font done in "pt" such as Arial 10pt; however, as soon as an edit is done, the format changes to a "px" type. This spells a lot of trouble and inconvenience.
    2. The drop-down menu has very poor formatting features...too rudimentary and look very ugly.
    3. The navigation bars cannot be resized at all nor can the colors be changed
    I have been struggling for the last 7 seven days trying to get around these problems. BV seems to have a lot of powerful features, but it seems not to be able to perform these rather basic functions...a real pity.

Is there anyone in the BV user community who has a solution to these problems ? Am on the verge of abandoning BV and re-do using perhaps FrontPage. But it has cost me like $100 per day...and feel stupid about giving up BV's other functional features. Thanks a zillion first

1. Hi, I am not sure what you are doing with the text, but you can change the font and the size and what you use and have set as font on your page properties should be what comes up when you use the text tool .. what you see is what you get .. now remember, you must still use web friendly fonts or you will have problems.

2. I do believe you can do a few different things to your drop down menu, would be best to place your question in that area of the forum or look for other posts regarding this ..

3. Do you have the complete library of navigation bars available from voda host downloaded on your computer - there are several styles and colors - you are correct though, you cannot resize or change the color of one - you can create your own custom nav bars - you will find a few threads listed on this forum under "custom nav bars" - basically you create the nav bar with the color and size you want and then place this nav bar in the path where the nav bars are located C:/programfiles/bluevoda/nav - this will then allow you to insert your custom nav bars via the navigation tool in blue voda ...

Hope this helps to get you started to see the further capabilities of blue voda and continue it's use ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thx for reply.
      (1) Menu Bars - ok, understood.
      (2) Text - still struggling. Aren't the fonts included within BV supposed to be web-friendly ?

Let me explain my problem a bit more. I set Default font and size on Page Properties to Arial, 10. Then I click Insert Text on the menu. A prompt appears with the words "Double Click to Edit". When previewed in browser, the same words "Double Click to Edit" appears with right Arial 10 font. Checking the generated html, it shows font is arial, size 10pt.

Now I enter my own text in the prompt, and previied it. The font is still arial, but the size has shrunk appreciably. Generated html shows font size is no longer 10pt but 10px. Not sure what is wrong.

This problem creates particularly difficult issues when inputting text into tables.

Wud appreciate yr advice. Thx

Comment

Hi everyone :

I started this thread in Jan 2008, as I was struggling with text in BV. I think I might hv found a way to overcome -- maybe I should say circumvent -- the problem. Maybe it was not a problem in the first place, and could have been due to my inexperience with BV. Wud like to refresh the subject and also invite all you guys to comment....thanks.

Problem encountered
        Text entries are not WYSIWYG - the size reduces substantially when "Previewed in Browser". For example if I insert a text string such as Test Message, with Arial 10pt font, what shows up in browser preview is the same Test Message, apparently in Arial font, but the size is more like 8pt.

What is shown in the generated HTML
        On checking, one can see the generated html code is :-

<font style="font-size:13px" color="#000000" face="Arial">Test Message</font>

I struggled for 2 months sifting through the BV forum, writing to Vodahost for support, etc. Being totally non-conversant in html and web stuff did not help either. Recently I stumbled on an idea, ie.,to trick the generated html. This was what I did.

I opened up the Generated HTML box and did some editing :-

(1) Before the Tag, I added
        <!--

(2) After the Tag, I added
        -->

(3) and followed by copying the original code, thus :-
        -->
        <font style="font-size:13px" color="#000000" face="Arial">Test Message</font>

(4) Then edited the 13px to be 10pt, thus becoming :-
        -->
        <font style="font-size:10pt" color="#000000" face="Arial">Test Message</font>

Presto ! Previewing in browser shows the text string Test Message in Arial, and size almost exactly the same as 10pt (I estimate 95% fidelity)

I have done that to all places in my webpages that needed such treatment, mainly because in my kind of web pages, it is important to line up text and text areas with certain pictures and tables. In short a hi fi WYSIWYG situation.

I have not published my BV web pages yet. There is a great fear that what I see in Preview may not be what I will get when these pages get published. I do not know what will happen to the text !! If all those html massaging that I have done crumbles, then all my 8 weeks work on the pages wud go down the drain.

But nothing ventured nothing gained.

Whoosh ! Hope all with turn out well. I intend to publish my pages before this weekend. Wud greatly appreciate any comments, advice or even condolences.

thanks,
        KS Neoh
        ksneoh@crystalimage-lcd.com
        www.crystalimage-lcd.com

Comment

Working...
        X