Hyperlinks to sub folders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyperlinks to sub folders

I'm totally unexpirienced in building sites and have just published the first one, created in BlueVoda. After watching the tutorials regarding publishing and hyperlinking it all works fine, but only as long as the pages I link to from the "index" page are published in the same folder as the page I link from (index.html in the folder "public_html") or on external sites. If I try to link to a page published in another directory on my own site the link does not work, even though I have typed the full URL in the hyperlink (regardless if it is a subdirectory to "public_html" or a subdirectory to the root) I need the pages published in a separate directorty I can later on password protect, so publishing all pages in "public_html" is hopefully not the answer. Any ideas ?

rgds Poul

Re: Hyperlinks to sub folders

Originally posted by POSK
    I'm totally unexpirienced in building sites and have just published the first one, created in BlueVoda. After watching the tutorials regarding publishing and hyperlinking it all works fine, but only as long as the pages I link to from the "index" page are published in the same folder as the page I link from (index.html in the folder "public_html") or on external sites. If I try to link to a page published in another directory on my own site the link does not work, even though I have typed the full URL in the hyperlink (regardless if it is a subdirectory to "public_html" or a subdirectory to the root) I need the pages published in a separate directorty I can later on password protect, so publishing all pages in "public_html" is hopefully not the answer. Any ideas ?

rgds Poul
    You can publish in whichever subfolder you need to. To do that just make sure that the subfolder has the wright permissions, f.e. 755. When linking, type the destination link as http://yourdomain.com/yoursubfolder/yourpage.html

When publishing, publish in "public_html/yoursubfolder"

and everything should work ok.

However, what's the message you get from IE ?
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thx - hoping to having received the "golden key" (as I had not tried that combination of linking/publishing nor checked permissions) I did the following :

Re-published the "index" page in "public_html" with a hyperlink to http://www.mydomain/vl61_info/medlem.html

Changed permissions in subdirectory "vl61_info" to 755 (was 644) (vl_info being a subfolder to "public_html")

Published "medlem.bvp" in "public_html/vl61_info" and checked, that "medlem.html" was now present in that directory (with permission 644= index.html in directory public_html)

Executed and got the same old message from IE (and then checked everything above again):

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@mydomain.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

so even though there were errors in my initial set-up I still have a challenge ?

rgds

Poul

Originally posted by navaldesign
      You can publish in whichever subfolder you need to. To do that just make sure that the subfolder has the wright permissions, f.e. 755. When linking, type the destination link as http://yourdomain.com/yoursubfolder/yourpage.html

When publishing, publish in "public_html/yoursubfolder"

and everything should work ok.

However, what's the message you get from IE ?

Comment

lets not complicate things...

in your public_html create a folder called "whatever"

So now any page you stick in your new folder will begin
        like the below...

And it will default to an index page, there is no need to change permissions
        on anything,,Unless its a script or something.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hey *****!
          I have finished my simple website just now. After an initial hicup (where I did not pay enough attention to the tutorials) I've already managed it :), I am very pleased with the results and I will be trying to improve it as it goes (in the future). Thank you.
          George

P.S.
          Can you check it please for any technical faults?

UOTE=VodaHost]lets not complicate things...

like the below...

http://www.mydomain/whatever/

on anything,,Unless its a script or something.[/QUOTE]

Comment

And what about the head?
            At least Sarah should add the hands to show what I am doing with them ;),
            hey we should have be able to remove the pics if we don't like them.
            As i can't do it from here, can you remove it?

QUOTE=george_online]Hey *****!
            I have finished my simple website just now. After an initial hicup (where I did not pay enough attention to the tutorials) I've already managed it :), I am very pleased with the results and I will be trying to improve it as it goes (in the future). Thank you.
            George

P.S.
            Can you check it please for any technical faults?
            www.bikerstories.net

UOTE=VodaHost]lets not complicate things...

like the below...

on anything,,Unless its a script or something.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Comment

I hope you like your new head. Even though I think the other one suited you a bit;)

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Good morning!
                I had a lots of problem before and I get answers from you and now I think I have fix it, but now i tryed too publish my new pages and it only shows wrong IP, there is 3 but it doesent work with them, my IP has a different number. where do I find my IP?
                Annette berntsson

Comment

Please make sure you are publishing your website to the correct
                  IP address.

If your IP address is not in BlueVoda’s list of IP addresses.
                  Please click on the link below to upgrade to the most recent
                  release of the BlueVoda Website Builder.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

not really sure what the problem was (fingertroubles . Starting all over with new hyperlinks, new subfolders and publishing according to above advise fixed the problem. thx for your help.
                    Originally posted by VodaHost
                    lets not complicate things...

like the below...

on anything,,Unless its a script or something.

Comment

No worries mate. Happy to be of service.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                      X