password protection does not seem to work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• password protection does not seem to work

I created a folder called memberlogin in cpanel under the publicHTML folder. I password protected the memberlogin folder and published the page I wanted to protect in that folder.
    The weird thing is that Explorer comes up with the 404 error saying that it can't find my page.
    Anyone having some good ideas of what is going wrong on my side. There must be something I'm missing.

Sebastiaan

Re: password protection does not seem to work

Originally posted by sebster View Post
    I created a folder called memberlogin in cpanel under the publicHTML folder. I password protected the memberlogin folder and published the page I wanted to protect in that folder.
    The weird thing is that Explorer comes up with the 404 error saying that it can't find my page.
    Anyone having some good ideas of what is going wrong on my side. There must be something I'm missing.

Sebastiaan

http://otonl.com

well the page will be inside of the directory you created and if you type in

http://www.otonl.com/memberlogin/ - you will arrive at your password input panel

Now in any case - if you now add the name of the page to this url I just posted as nameofpage.html - it will take you to the very same place this url takes you to - to a log in page ... This now if you have indeed published this page to the directory public_html/memberlogin - and this if public_html is the directory for this domain - meaning you only have one domain or this is your main domain - (Hope the last bit doesn't confuse you too much - likely too much information) LOL ...

Oh .. one more bit - if you haven't published this page to the directory I just mentioned, then you will want to do so - and you will also want to go into your control panel - into public_html and remove the page you published in your public directory - you will find it by it's name and extension.html

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hiya thanks for the info. Now comes another question. When I log in I see a list of files. Should I create a new index page for the protected folder and go from there, so there will be a sub site within my site? I guess this will be the case since the page I mention has "index of /memberlogin" at the top of the page. Thanks for the answer it made things completely clear.

Sebastiaan

Comment

You're welcome Sebastian ..

That list of files you see when you log in - is that the page you made and published?????

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Yes its is the page I wanted to see pop up, so it all worked out. I just got a liitle better in understanding website making. Thanks

Sebastiaan

Comment

Originally posted by sebster View Post
            Yes its is the page I wanted to see pop up, so it all worked out. I just got a liitle better in understanding website making. Thanks

Sebastiaan
            Well that's great news to hear. And so much more to find out eh!!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

hi my name is usman .i have BlueVoda websitesoftwere. i just want know how i make my own website and how i publish my web page i have try but my password is not right .but i have my account in bluevoda buy name usmankhokhar.

Comment

Hi Guys!, i'm having the same problem as sebster with a slight difference, i've created a password protected area, but when i go and create a u/n and p/w, i don't get anything!... am i going loco???? please help!!

Comment

Working...
                X