Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is iFrames what I'm looking for?

Hello everybody!

I'm trying to make a very simple website to advertise my professional activity as a psychotherapist.

I know nothing about html coding (and basically webdesigning all together), but BlueVoda is simple yet powerful enough for me to have something similar to a web site already! Thanks for the great software and video tutorials! :)

I'm stuck in a situation right now which my ignorance on the matter does not allow me to overcome.

The website I'm trying to build is very simple. I want to have a single main page with all links opening in that very same page. I have a title and below, on the left, vertical text only menus and, on the right, a blank space. What I want is to use that blank space to display the images and text correspondent to the text links on the left. The "exemplo.jpg" attachment illustrates what I mean. So, when I click "Text Link 1", I want the Text Link 1's text to appear in the blank space on the right. Then, if I click "Text Link 2", Text Link 2's text should appear in that same area. If the text is bigger than the window, a scrollbar should appear.

Is iFrames the feature which allows this? I've watched "Inline Frames (Creating an iframe)" video tutorial (and also Sassa's post prior to this one) and it seems so, but what about when what you want to display isn't a website already on-line (like Google, in the video tutorial example), but an .html file containing some text and a few pictures (as if it was a .doc file) which is located in a folder (which should then be in a webhosting company's FTP or something)? Instead of an URL, you put the path to that .html file? I've tried that and then tested it with preview and it didn't work! An error message appeared saying it could not find the file, even though I browsed correctly for it!

Also, if I'm missing something or if there is a step next to this that has to be done in order for things to work, please let me know in advanced!

Thanks for your time and patience! Take care!
    Nuno (Portugal)
    Attached Files

Re: Is iFrames what I'm looking for?

Hi Feelin,

I don't know if iFrames are what you need to accomplish what you want. They are moving out of favor as they are not particularly search engine friendly and there's not much you can't accomplish, one way or another, without them.

It sounds like you just need to clone your pages so they'll be identical. Once you have your basic page with header, menu and so on, save it as 'template' or whatever you want to call it.

The next page you want to build, just call it up, fill it in and save it as "aboutme' or whatever. You will still have your 'template' page to do it again with whatever comes next in your website.

In this way, your pages will all have an identical look and feel and will not 'jump' as you move from page to page.

Is this what you mean to accomplish?

Originally posted by Feelin View Post
    I want to have a single main page with all links opening in that very same page.
    Ken

If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys. Orson Wells

Comment

You can do what you're saying with iframes, yes, but it's a bad way to do it for many reasons - one being if you want your stie to be easily read by se's.

You could also use a php menu and header - and build all the pages with those called up that way - which is much more user friendly - and will allow you to universally change things in the menu, etc. You can find this information here:

It's a better way to go - but will mean saving and publishing your pages as php pages instead of html pages.
      Beth
      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
      SEO - The Basics

Comment

Sedona and Bethers,

thank you very much for your replies. I will take your suggestions into consideration and figure out what works best for me! I'll probably do as Sedona suggests, it seems simpler and fulfills my needs, for the site is meant to stay pretty much the same through time, with only minor changes in one or two texts.

Thanks again, take care!
        Nuno

Comment

Working...
        X