This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30-Day and 60-Day Conflict...

I want to switch to VodaHost from my current web hosting provider. I have read all the help files I can find on both sites, and still am not sure how best to proceed in my situation.

On December 7, 2005, I registered two domains names with my current web host and entered into a web hosting agreement with the provider. In order to receive a full refund from them when I cancel my account, I must do so within 30 days of signing up (so I have until January 7, 2006). I understand that by law, I cannot transfer my domain names until 60 days after they were first registered, so that leaves a 30-day gap that I need to deal with.

Currently, one domain name points to the other, and on the second, I only have some experiments I did to see how I might be able to set up the site. There is nothing there that I need to save. So it would be no problem for me, if the domain names were to simply sit unused for the 30 days before I could transfer them to VodaHost.

I have checked the “whosit” site, and I am listed as the registered owner of the two domain names, and the contact address listed is one of my current e-mail addresses. However both domains are listed as locked.

So what I would like to confirm with you is that I can simply cancel my web hosting agreement with the other company, and ask them to unlock my domain names. I can then let the two domain names sit idle until the 60-day period has passed, and then register them with your domain division, and begin to develop a new web site for the domains via VodaHost at that time.

Is my understanding of how this would work correct?

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Clint; 12-27-2005, 01:25 AM. Reason: Formatting problems (extra space added between paragraphs)

Re: 30-Day and 60-Day Conflict...

1) whois your current web hosting provider?
    2) Did you purchase the domains "stand alone" or did they form a part of
    an all inclusive web hosting package?

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by VodaHost
      1) whois your current web hosting provider?
      2) Did you purchase the domains "stand alone" or did they form a part of
      an all inclusive web hosting package?
      1) My current web host provider is "*******"

2) The plan I purchased did not include a domain name. I had to separately purchase the two domains I registered, although I acquired the domain names through their Domain Name service (similar, I believe, to the way that VodaHost, sells domain name registration separately from their web hosting services).
      Last edited by VodaHost; 12-27-2005, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Ok Good, since you purchased them as stand alone, you have two choices.

1) Keep them at your current registrar and simply change your name servers to
        point at our servers. This is very easy to do.

2) Wait out the 60 day no transfer period. In the mean time you can still change your name servers.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by VodaHost
          Ok Good, since you purchased them as stand alone, you have two choices.

1) Keep them at your current registrar and simply change your name servers to
          point at our servers. This is very easy to do.

2) Wait out the 60 day no transfer period. In the mean time you can still change your name servers.
          I am still not clear on what those two options mean in terms of canceling my web hosting service with the other provider, which I need to do before Jan. 7th.

Can I cancel the hosting service, but still keep the other company as the registrar for the domain names? (Which is what I think you saying that I could do -- and then after the 60-day period has passed, I could transfer the registration of the names to VodaHost.)

I'm sorry, if I'm being dense, but this is new to me.

Comment

What I am geeting at is that if your domain names where included as part of
            greater hosting package and you cancel it and ask for a refund. I very much
            doubt that they will keep the domain names for free.

If you purchased the domain names "stand alone", cancelling the other hosting
            package should not be any problem. After the 60 period has lapsed you can very
            easily transfer the domains to VodaHost.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

OK, I think I understand. Thanks for bearing with me.

Comment

No problem....Welcome to VodaHost!

Thread Closed

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                X