Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I copy a large file to site page?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I copy a large file to site page?

I'm trying to copy a large file (130 page ebook) to my site and it will only put a small amount on the page when I try to cut and paste it. I imagine there are better ways to do it besides cut and paste. Can someone clue me in on the best way to do it?

donrock
    RENT TO OWN A Home With No Qualifying FREE Manual Shows You How. Buy With A Lease Option

Re: How do I copy a large file to site page?

Why are you trying to put the entire ebook on the site? It's an ebook - make a link to open the pdf.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Beth

I don't particulary want to put the whole ebook on there. I'm not smart enough to figure some other way. What exactly do you mean by putting a link to the ebook? How, in very simple language do I do that?

I've been playing with FTP for the past couple of hours and can't figure that out either. It seems like it leaves me hanging at the end. I got the book put over on the right side but what am I supposed to do then to make it work? I hate to admit it but I may be too old to figure this stuff out.
      Hopefully you can dumb it down enough for me to understand.

donrock
      RENT TO OWN A Home With No Qualifying FREE Manual Shows You How. Buy With A Lease Option

Comment

What program currently opens the ebook you are viewing? Is it a word document or is it already converted into a pdf document?

Like Bethers says, you will want this to be a link to a pdf document on your website.

If the book is already a pdf, upload it to your account via the ftp method ..

To log into your ftp manager, from within your web builder, go to tools, ftp manager, and then choose connect - it will be on the left side of your screen - your log in information will be the same that you use to publish.

Once you are connected, browse on the left for the file folder that contains your document - then browse on the right side for the file folder that you wish to hold this document - if it is your main domain, then open up the public_html folder and then grab the document from the left and slide it over to the right, into your public_html folder.

Now that document has a name ... lets say it is called *****s and it is already in a pdf format ...

the link you would apply would be www.yourdomain.com/*****s.pdf
        Set the target for this document as _blank - this way when someone closes the document they will still be on your website.

If your document is not already converted to pdf format, you can do so with the free pdf converter found here..

Remember, the main thing is for you to apply the link with the correct name of the document.

A pdf document is used because most everyone has the free acrobat reader .. you can always apply a little link and recommendation for people to get the reader from adobe, which is free, if their computer is not already equipped for viewing.

Hope this helps.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

LadyEye,

Everything worked great up to the part where I would apply a link. The name of my site is profitinforeclosures.com and the name of the document is ebook.pdf. If I typed the link as http://profitinforeclosures.com/ebook.pdf shouldn't I be able to put it in an email and send it to another email where it would bring up the ebook? I've tested it a coulple of other ways and none of them work. What little piece of the puzzle am I leaving out or doing wrong?
          What does set the target for this document as _blank mean and how do I do it?

donrock

Comment

Hi, yes, if that is the name of the document and is the document type and you uploaded it to your public_html directory, then yes, that should be the link ..

You will need to go into your control panel - file manager - public_html directory and have a look and see if you see this pdf document and if it is simply called ebook.pdf -

I can only figure that 1) the documents name is not matching up with your link or 2) you did not manage to get it into the public_html directory or 3) maybe this is not your main domain - (if it is not your main domain, then you need to put it in the correct domain folder - it wouldn't be public_html - it would actually be the add on domains folder) ?? Just clarify this part for us ...

Setting the target of a link:

When you apply the link address - url - you will also notice in the same area that you can set the target for this link. For all of the links on your website that stay on your website you just leave this area empty - when you apply a link to another website (one that leaves your website) or a document that will open in the window and when the document is closed, so is your site) then you set the target as _blank .. this will open the document in a new window as I said above.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

LadyEye
              Just a little help, if I may? Just to help clear up the target issue for donprofit; if you are typing the url into an email; "target" does not enter into it. Only if you have a link to the ebook on your website.

Sorry LadyEye; just seemed that donprofit was confused, yet on that point!

Comment

O.K. I finally got it to work but I don't know if there's a better way. The way I did it http://profitinforeclosures.com/public_html/ebook.pdf Is this the way it's supposed to be? It's not showing up in the file manager so I guess if I can get it into there I wouldn't have to put in public_html, right?

How's the best way to get it into the file manager. It's showing up on the ftp right side.

donrock

Comment

"public_html" is the backend equivalent for "http://profitinforeclosures.com"

so it will be "http://profitinforeclosures.com/ebook.pdf"

Register/Login Script
                  Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Watdaflip,

That's what I figured but it doesn't work when I do it that way, only when I put in the "public_html". I've gone back and put the ebook.pdf in a folder thinking that maybe it didn't want it as a pdf file. Still didn't work. Maybe I'll give up on blueftp and try another one unless someone has a brilliant idea.

donrock

Comment

The only way that the file is accessible is if it is in the "public_html" folder. If you put the ebook so it is at

"public_html/ebook.pdf", the url will be "http://profitinforeclosures.com/ebook.pdf"

Register/Login Script
                      Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Watdaflip,

With the blueftp I have tried to put the "ebook.pdf" in both the folders on the right side, "ebook" like the tutorial says to do and into the "public_html". Obviously I'm doing something wrong there. What exactly should I be doing in the ftp manager right side after I have connected and found ebook on the left side. Could you give me some simple instructions on the ftp manager. I seems simple to use but I'm messing it up somehow.

donrock

Comment

Sounds to me as though you are not getting the ebook.pdf into the correct directory ..

SKIP THE FTP MANAGER

Go directly into your control panel, choose public_html directory, (click the folder to the left of the words public_html)

You are then inside of the public_html directory

Now you will see UPLOAD A FILE - choose that and browse through your computer until you find ebook.pdf and upload it ...

then apply your link as

Should work, unless you have something wrong with the ebook name.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

LadyEye,

Hooray! it works! I sure do appreciate your help along with the others who replied. I'll quit bugging you now.

Till next time thanks again,
                            donrock

Comment

Working...
                            X