Does this look too much like a blog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this look too much like a blog?

Hi, I just started a business designing birth announcements etc., and I'm worried that it looks too much like a blog and perhaps not 'professional' enough? What do you think? It's pretty bare at the moment and I'm in the process of getting help with proper order forms... but other than that, would you feel safe ordering from a site like this or should I change it to make it look more (for lack of a better word) e-commerce-y? Any other feedback appreciated.

Emmy
    www.cherrylanememories.com

Re: Does this look too much like a blog?

Nice site! You have done a good job. With all the light pastel colors, I think I would make the text just a shade or two darker. That's just me, Not very much contrast. You can do a search in vodahost and find info on the order forms and such. There are also people here, (like Bethers) that are a great help for thease sites, she is unreal.
    Good luck!
    Mike

Any excuse for non performance only weakens the charactor

In God We Trust

Comment

Looks ok to me. Slightly faint text, but might be my monitor.
      Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

It's your choice Emmy. Your site is fine, but in answer to your question - personally I would feel safer ordering from something more e-commercy as you say.

For me, sites that have that 'home-made' feel about them give me the impression that I am dealing with an amateur. I don't know if it's the same for others though, I could be the exception to the rule!

Comment

Thanks kindly for the compliments, tips, and honesty. I think I'm going to try and work on it now to make it a little more business-like.
          Emmy
          www.cherrylanememories.com

Comment

Hi Emmy,

Everyone will have different opinions on this issue of looking more professional or not, but if you're interested I think the site suits exactly what it is trying to sell.

Lovely design and layout, nice choice of colours (that's colors to you) and I think it's very appealing for the nature of your service.

Don't work too hard at changing it as I don't think you need to. Take a look at the optimisation, chosse your page titles and other meta data a bit more carefully, otherwise you have done a fantastic job!
            Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

............ah hah! So I am the exception!

Comment

Originally posted by AJ113 View Post
                ............ah hah! So I am the exception!
                Sorry Adrian... no not at all, I am sure for everyone who thinks my views on this site are correct there will be someone who doesn't. It's only my opinion. I only ever state just my opinion and nothing else. I don't rate my views any higher than anyone else's. I leave that job to someone else
                Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

I don't feel it looks like a blog, but some of your wording lacks the uumph it needs. for example, .....makeshift..forms...if you feel like ordering a birth announcement... I, personally, would change the words in red to something like "if you would like to order a...". Just that one part takes the professionalism away from your site. I am in agreement on the text being darker, just a little too light. Overall, it's a very welcoming site and I feel you have made good choices in the colors. Good Luck!
                  Karen Williams
                  Your Belief is Your Reality

Comment

outstanding Job site Looks Great I Agree About The Tex Darker Would Be Better And Yes It Is A Professional Looking Site Does Not Look Like A Blog No E-commerce Site Needed Good Luck To You
                    sigpicJoe
                    Funny Jokes and Redneck Pics

www.anytime-figurines.com

"laughter is the best medicine"
                    The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. ~e.e. cummings

Comment

Well that looks better already Emmy!

"Should you like to inspire our Honahlee Suite by ordering something completely custom, we'd love to help you out......"

Sorry, I don't know what this means, maybe your visitors won't either?

Comment

Personal opinion - I think your home page has lost the appeal it had yesterday when I looked..

Comment

Emmy

I'm probably not senior enough to give solid website design advice, but as a seasoned web customer; I think you are well on your way to a very good site!

My only observation; now that others have suggested darker text, is to align the center portion of the page to the darker pink vertical lines in your background image.

But, that's just me! I like things in alignment, some don't.

Why is it, when I view your site; I want to go out and buy a box of Cherry Chocolates?? LOL

Comment

Hi Emmy:)

As I'm joining your thread a little late I'm not sure If I'm viewing the original or a 'new and improved' version but as far as the basic layout is concerned I'm siding with Marincky.

I need to qualify by saying the Welcome page is the only one I can read - all others the text is too faint for me to make out - but the welcome is a very nice balance of colour (My first impression was of a chocolate covered cherry.)

To answer your primary question - it doesn't look like a blog - it looks like a unique business site. The list on the left looks like it should be clickabe and isn't and of course in many ways the unfinished state of things will not inspire confidence but when all is functioning and visitors are able to move through a professional process to what I'm confident is a professional product I think you will win some and lose some just like the most e-commercy sites do.

I would stay the course if I were you, making the adjustments necessary for readability and functionality (and seo necessary) but don't give up on what originally 'felt' like the right way to represent yourself and your offerings.

Best of luck!
                            Ken

If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys. Orson Wells

Comment

Originally posted by sedona View Post
                              To answer your primary question - it doesn't look like a blog - it looks like a unique business site.
                              I would stay the course if I were you, making the adjustments necessary but don't give up on what originally 'felt' like the right way to represent yourself and your offerings.
                              I agree completely.....Your uniqueness pierces the monotony instantly, giving the appearance of distinctively "crafted" goods, and the all-so-necessary "personal" touch -- in contrast to the plethora of cookie-cutter-commerce sites that shove price or abundance in front of visitors in hopes of snagging some measure of "conversion" before they leave. Your personalized, eclectic presentaton tastefully accomplishes that instantly without belaboring it in the least!

Which brings me to the second point I underlined in the above post (which is the continuation of my comments above) ---- the emotional connection, the "investment" visitors make as a result of your presented site/layout/construct ..... the draw of the "softer side" and comfort eschews subliminal credibility, and "sets the hook" for that emotional investment/personal comfort to be the momentum to evolve into "conversion", the all-powerful metric of online sales. Point is, there is more than one way to create it, and for all intents and purposes it is my position that you have indeed accomplished it thusly.

HOWEVER, to point out the bottom line others above have alluded to but can't pin down: I would suggest re-sizing your lovely text banner/logo to make room for a textual "slogan" or otherwise contributory 'declaration' to satisfy the intellect, now that you have the heart and visuals properly prepped: continue your uniqueness and give some factual information to introduce the entire experience to insert the required "marketing" elements, such as "Quality Hand Crafted Greetings" or something....this is the only thing missing as far as satisfying the "Top Trio" of internet marketing: Body (visual comfort, subliminal appeal, and natural desire), Heart (identification, emotion, attachment/investment) and Mind (compelling cognizance leading to decision/conversion ... the motivator for interaction -- if not now, later even = loyalty).

It is all as if you are painting a picture to evoke a pre-determined response from the passing admirer: you want to create a predicatble response that becomes personalized (thus an identifiable personalization to remember and act on), and to do so by crafting the "flow" of the totality of your image to a "directed" conclusion without appearing to do so, allowing the admirer to "justify" the experience as their own, in their own control. Manipulation? Not really....just Marketing 101. It's all about communication, which as we all know, truly IS an art...

That is why precision of the technical aspects of presenting a website is so important also (and why you hear so many minute tech comments about positioning, alignment, colors, etc.), for they are the first obvious indications of "credibility" (or, merit and if the site "merits" further exploration/consideraton). It is a super-quick evaluation process every human makes, and is key to interaction. It is also why you were questioning yourself, trying to figure out the proper balance of this "merit" calling it "professionalism".......

Focus on the real flow of the site, and the "tech" issues will straighten themselves out in due time.......you did real good!

IMO
                              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
                              X