Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-installing phpbb

Hi everybody,
    I have different webs with their own forum.
    In all of them I downloaded from fantastico - discussion board-"phpbb2".
    Yesterday in the FTP of one of the webs I intentionally deleted the forum.
    When I went to re-install the forum the version I found in Fantastico ( discussion board) was phpbb ( without 2).
    I have found out that this is to be the version 3.00.
    My question is:
    1)Why I do not have in the other webs fantastico this version.
    2) How can I install this version on the other forums, without loosing, members, mods, etc???
    I have also checked in another forum suggested by Aliens ( Vodahost web designer), but I could not find an answer there.
    Any help will be very appreciated.
    Thanks
    Alas
    ID 6500

Re: Re-installing phpbb

The version in Fantastico is phpbb2 version 2.0.22 though this has been updated to 2.0.23 by phpBB.com it is not showing in Fantastico yet.

Now if your on about phpBB3 which is the new forum board from phpbb.com that is a totaly different forum alltogether. this can be download from phpBB.com. the forum comes with a converter that will convert your old phpbb2 database to the new. but i must stress the phpbb3 is totaly different and should their for be install in a different folder on your server. but once the convertion is done you can chaange the folder name back to the old name. examples of this can be seen HERE and HERE both of these were once phpBB2 forums.

now you say you deleted the forum from your FTP did you delete the database as well if not you have half a chance.

Comment

Hi Alien, this the forum that I have re-install from fantastico :
      http://mypuntland.com/somaliaforum/index.php.

The other one that I deleted was empty in contents so it is not a problem.

The thing is that I was installing wordpress, but I must have call the old forum in the same way of wordpress, so I was getting an error message, but I did not see the forum because I was in fantastico-wordpress.
      So I got into the FTP saw the forum installation and deleted.
      When I went to re-install the forum I got that version.
      I do know if this make some sense.
      Anyway thank you again.
      alas

Comment

Looks like vh has updated the link so it now installs phpbb3 which is good. so remember when looking for templates and mods to look for phpbb3.
        i think you will find this forum a lot better.

Comment

Hi Aliens,
          When I will update the forum from phpbb2 to phpbb3, what will happen to all the mod antispam, mod upload pictures, etc.
          They will be deleted?
          What about the members, and their post?
          Saluti
          Alas

Comment

Afraid so when the converter does it's job it only pulls in the users, forum, and posts. BUT ANY MODS INSTALLED WILL NOT BE MOVED. but the there mods for the phpbb3 and more being made every week, at present the anti-bot question is not available but there is a custom question one, not as good as the anti-bot question. also the upload pic is not available this is done though using the attachment. this being said it is only a question of time before these mods are available for phpbb3. my advice to you would be to stick with phpbb2 if you realy want these mods untill they are available for phpbb3 then install phpbb3 and convert the database. word of warning when installing phpbb3 KEEP YOUR PHPBB2 GOING INSTALL PHPBB3 INTO DIFFERENT FOLDER.

Comment

Hi aliens,
              thank you for your advice.
              I will stick with phpbb2 for sometime, the mod installed are working very good, and I just need to find out few things and I will be OK.
              Regards
              Alas

Comment

Working...
              X