Logging in to webhost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logging in to webhost

I'm trying to install Wordpress using a pdf ebook called WP_Blog_Guru as a guide. It was real helpful right up to where it said to do this:

Next thing is to login to your webhost using an FTP program. WSFTP
    is recommended for this or any other FTP program will do the job.

Login to your Wordpress installation where you see the Wordpress
    files. You can then upload the htaccess file which will be shown as
    htaccess.txt in your FTP program. Upload it into the installation
    folder of Wordpress. If you installed Wordpress in the root of your
    domain, then it will be in your “public_html” folder.
    So upload the “htaccess.txt” file and then rename it to “.htaccess”
    this will then setup your permalink structure.

I don't have clue and after going into the video on WP I'm just more confused.

The name of the blog is http://profitinforeclosures.com/adoptababy
    (My wife is selling her dolls).

I didn't have any problems with blogger but everyone says I should use WP. I guess it'll be good if I ever figure it out.

I have Filezilla as a FTP program and can figure that out either as far as what the goes in the box called "host".

donrock
    RENT TO OWN A Home With No Qualifying FREE Manual Shows You How. Buy With A Lease Option

Re: Logging in to webhost

Your host will be your domain name or ip address (either will work)

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

It would have been easier if you have used Fantastico to install WordPress. That is in your CPanel. You should have received your login for that when you signed up for the hosting.

When using Filezilla to upload (FTP) your first box is the domain name. The second box is your user name assigned by Voda Host. The third box is the password assigned to you by Voda Host. The next box should automatically show a 21 in it if you have completed the first two boxes.

To upload to your site, decide if you want the blog under the main folder (public_html) or in a subfolder that you create ("blog"). Once you have selected the folder you want it to be in, select all of the files on the left from where you unzipped them on your hard drive. Then drag them over to the right side and they will begin loading. You can watch at the top to see if there was a successful login. You will see as files are uploaded.

With Fantastico, it is easier. However, the version in Fantaxtico right now is not the latest version. To get the latest version, you will have to get it from WordPress, download it, unzip it and upload it to your site as indicated above.

I am a beginner myself and having some issues trying to use a new plugin I just bought. I am working with support to iron out that issue.

Hope this has helped.

Linchi

Comment

I did put it in with Fantastico and now I'm to the point of trying to put a theme on. I've tried Filezilla, the FTP here and the cpanel and still can't make it work. They all say its ok but no go. Could it be that I don't have Linux. I have XP and am using IE 7.
        donrock
        RENT TO OWN A Home With No Qualifying FREE Manual Shows You How. Buy With A Lease Option

Comment

What you have on your computer is not important.

If you cannot connect with Filezilla you are most probably mistaking the connection details. Make sure to provide as Host the domain name, and as username / password for the connection, your control panel username / password.
          Navaldesign
          Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Working...
          X