Creating a login for members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a login for members

How do I create a member login which will display user name and password login boxes on blue voda, and then what to do so next so that the data will be processed .
    for, example, if a customer signs in as CustomerID= "firstcustomer" and Password = "firstpassword" they will be taken to: www. site123.co.uk/firstcustomer/index.html
    whereas if they sign in as CustomerID = "secondcustomer" and Password ="secondpassword" they will be taken to: www.site123.co.uk/secondcustomer/index.html
    I will appreciate any help i can get

John

Re: Creating a login for members

Why should they be taken to a separate folder for each member ?

Anyway, it is quite possible, but requires a login script. This cannot be done only with BV, it requires php and eventually MySQL coding. Have a look at http://www.dbtechnosystems.com/logginexamples.php
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your feedback. Basically i have created a login page for members on my site, http://www.obtuk.org/memberslogin.html, i have also prepared a data base on word and pdf for members, i could create a single folder perhaps.

Moreover could i export the data to MySQL and create a username and password for users? Will this be an alternative and will my users be able to login from the login page, or will i need a login script before the login page on the site can be functional.

regards
      John

Comment

You will still need a script to process the logins and create a session for the user. Functionality like this isn't done by simply creating a couple text boxes and the website magically knows exactly what you want it to do, all of this has to be programmed with scripts for the website to know what to do.

Register/Login Script
        Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Hm... Maybe i need to clarify some things.

A membership or login script allows your users to register. After account activation, they are able to view certain pages that are protected and can only be viewed by these authorised users. Usually, you don't even need to make them login. I mean, most scripts (mine included) protect the page and as soon as a NON logged in user tries to reach the page, he is redirected to the login page. There he can log in, if he is already registered, or register, if he is not. In most cases, as in this forum, the user is "cookied" so whenever he visits your site, he is automatically logged in without even going through the entire log in procedure.

With this said, a MySQL database can not be updated by a PDF or Word file, it can be updated (populated) by a Excel or Acess file that is first exported as XML or CSV, And yes, you NEED a login script before your your login feature can be functional.

An easy alternative, if you don't need to allow users to create their own usernames / passwords, would be to create a protected folder and publish your protected content in there. The bad thing is that you need to manually create the usernames and passwords, and the fact that this is not a realtime procedure (the user registers, a mail is sent to you, you create the username and password, you add them to the list of allowed users for that folder, and last, you mail them the username and password)

If, furthermore, you need to allow your users to edit their details whenevr they like, you need a full database driven log in script as the one in the example i have provided.
          Navaldesign
          Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback!

I would love my users to edit their details as well. Could i get a software perhaps that will meet my needs.

John

Comment

coolmelody-

Andy here. I tired emailing you with the address you provided but it was sent back and said no such address existed. So I wasn't ignoring you.

Cheers-

Andy
              PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign View Post
                An easy alternative, if you don't need to allow users to create their own usernames / passwords, would be to create a protected folder and publish your protected content in there. The bad thing is that you need to manually create the usernames and passwords, and the fact that this is not a realtime procedure (the user registers, a mail is sent to you, you create the username and password, you add them to the list of allowed users for that folder, and last, you mail them the username and password)
                It doesn't have to be done manually. The link to my the script in my sig lets uses make their own accounts for a password protected directory.

Register/Login Script
                Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Working...
                X