Can i build on an interim domain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i build on an interim domain?

Hi ive got a site in Bv but i think i need to make it fresh in Soho. My existing site http://www.qualityclotheslines.net is in the top 5 google search results in Australia for any clothesline related search term. Because of this i need to biuld a new site on a temporary domain so i dont lose my site during the buils up. Heres my question, Can i back up my site from the temporary domain when im finished making it then publish it again to my existing Domain? I know ill lose page rank for all pages but the index but if you knew my problems with the existing site you would understand. All help is absolutely appreciated no matter how small. I have a feeling the Karen Mac can help me. Thanks all. Matt.

Re: Can i build on an interim domain?

Matt.

Let me ask you this. Why are you wanting to move this into soho, as you know the product display isnt going to be like your current one? And.. is that merchant account you are using going to be integrated into soho easily.. im not sure its one of the ones that is listed?

There is a MOVE tool that is availabe from soho to move from one server to another, not sure that it wouldnt work from one domain to another, however.. you could keep both domains.. and redirect the OLD domain to the NEW domain when you are ready to terminate it and display the new domain.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thinking on this that the redirection would work better most likely. And you could also leave the old pages up and redirect them to the new pages until they disappeared from cache in the SE. (or redirect them in the htaccess file)

Redirection of the domain should be done at the domain server level, where the domain is parked and pointed. If you cant see those options in your domain control panel, contact your registrar for how to do this. This would solve your issues best...

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Hi Karen Mac, thanks for your reply. For the reasons im thinking of changing see my post in the Bv section. Basiccally ive got browser problems, mainly with ie. Im not sure how to fix it except go through my code and see what could be causing it. I understand that soho will change everything in the way it loks but im prepared to do that if it means getting my site running properly. Thanks for your advice on the domain thingy. Maybee i could get 2 domains and do a test if i decided to go that way. Ive backed up in soho before and republished so i just thought i might be able to republish to a different domain. Im going to try and see if i can get the Bv site going first as i beleive it has advantages that soho doesnt have such as flexibility in where i can put things on the page. Those scrolling words on the top and bottom of my pages arnt there for customers, they are there for the search engines and i cant use this set up in soho. Regards, Matt

Comment

Matt

Those Scrollie thingies are called Marquees... And not all of the things that IE reads will display in firefox, that may be one of them.. Id have to look it up to see.

You shouldnt add anything to your site specifically for the SE, it should be geared to your customer, and anything thats visible, like the scrollies for the SE is silly.. they dont care rather MOVES or not. With that said.. they are now penalizing for too many distracting, jumping, moving about things on sites, including animations, pop ups and other annoyances.. so be careful with those.

So.. knowing that marquees, page fade ins etc wont work in firefox, and most of your viewers are firefox users.. then you should be designing for them.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
          X