Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Page Sizes ?

Hi.
    When I open the website builder my default page size is 600 x 800. If I then insert a rectangle and resize it to full page dimensions when I subsequently preview the page the rectangle only fills part of the screen.
    I have tried various page sizes but still encounter the same problem.
    Any suggestions, please ?
    David
    pahrTee.co.uk

Re: Page Sizes ?

Hi pahrtee... Right click... Go to Page properties.. To set the height and width of the page as you wish... Doug

Comment

Hi Doug.
      Many thanks for the swift response.
      I have tried various page sizes via the properties option, but cannot arrive at one that fills the entire preview screen.
      I am right in thinking the preview screen is what is eventually displayed once my website is published, aren't I ?
      Basically what I'm trying to achieve is WYSIWYG, that is, whatever I create and see in the builder programme is exactly what is displayed on my finished page.
      At the moment I don't seem to be getting that ?
      I'm going for a lie down now !!
      David.
      pahrTee

Comment

Setting the page size is a setting in Pixel Dimensions. So if you have your screen resolution set at 800x600 and you create a page 800x600 then you can expect to have a page that fills the (your) screen. If someone else views it and their resolution is different, say 1024x768 then the page will not fill their screen!
        It's all relative to screen resolution; pixel dimensions. You design to satisfy as many viewers as possible and Not for your own screen settings.
        It's recommended that you set page width to 800 so that no-one will have to use scroll bars at the bottom to view the width of your page.
        Hope that helps ... ;)

Comment

Blimey Meanderer, not only do you stuff us at cricket and rugby, but we have to rely on you for lessons in building websites as well !
          Seriously though, many thanks for your response.
          I guess I naturally assumed everybody runs at 1024x768 these days.
          I do, although I still get scroll bars when designing a page in 1024v768. It's miles better though.
          So is it fair to say I should always build my sites at 800x600 ? I guess as this is the default setting it makes sense .........?
          Thanks again, David.
          pahrTee .co.uk

Comment

Although there are still a few using 800x600 as their screen settings... It is fairly acceptable now to advance to say 940 wide. I build all my sites around 940 now, have done for a while now. 1024 as you mentioned is far too wide, keeping to 940 and under is playing safe. However, if you change your pages to 940 wide make sure you change your guide settings to 940 too.
            Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Wow Marincky. You're on the case this afternoon !
              Can I just compound my already clueless status by asking what height you would use with 940 wide ?
              Also, when you speak of guide settings I assume you are referring to the page rulers ? Thanks again, David.

Comment

Originally posted by pahrtee View Post
                Wow Marincky. You're on the case this afternoon !
                Can I just compound my already clueless status by asking what height you would use with 940 wide ?
                Also, when you speak of guide settings I assume you are referring to the page rulers ? Thanks again, David.
                Page length is not a set thing? You can have your page lengths whatever you want. Scrolliing up and down is accepted and commonly a feature of most websites. I have some with a 600 drop.. I have one with an 8000 drop..

To change width in your guide settings:

BV > Layout > Guide Settings > change to 940 wide. Make sure 'show guide borders' is ticked.
                Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Okay. Done that, thanks. Although I'm not sure I understand the correlation between page width and guide settings ?
                  Getting fed up with me yet ? David.

Comment

Originally posted by pahrtee View Post
                    Okay. Done that, thanks. Although I'm not sure I understand the correlation between page width and guide settings ?
                    Getting fed up with me yet ? David.
                    The page width is what you want the page to be

The page guide settings simply put a dotted border to the width and height settings you have chosen so you can see when you have gone to your limit.

Having said this, when you lengthen your page the drop border guide will always stay at 600, but you don't need a guide for this anyway.

The width guide line is the important one.

When creating your pages, make sure you start from the very far left of the page as far to the edge as possible. Some people start at the very top too, this depends on how you are laying out your site but personally I chosse to build most of my sites starting anywhere from a few millileters to half an inch from the top. This gives the background border a chance to surround the whole page.

Then make sure you open your page properties and tick the box 'centre in browser'. Your site will then appear in the centre of ALL screens.

No not getting fed up with you... not yet anyway

Comment

Great advice. Thanks ! David.

Comment

Working...
                      X