Background Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Question

My site has a black background (not an image) I have set it in page properties, however, whenever I load the page the background is white unless I f5 and refresh. As the text is white this is causing problems.
    I have deleted my temporary files so it shouldn't be loading from cache.

Any ideas anybody?

www.hogisbar.com

Re: Background won't show up

If I click on the link in your post above, your site looks fine. But if I then go to your under construction gallery page and then click home, indeed your home page now shows a white background. Sorry, I'm just a beginner, but someone will know the answer based on these symptoms. However, I do see that the black home page is hogisbar.com/ and the white one is hogisbar.com/index.html.
    CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
    CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
    CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Finley View Post
      If I click on the link in your post above, your site looks fine. But if I then go to your under construction gallery page and then click home, indeed your home page now shows a white background. Sorry, I'm just a beginner, but someone will know the answer based on these symptoms. However, I do see that the black home page is hogisbar.com/ and the white one is hogisbar.com/index.html.
      You figured it out, Tom.

Jaykay, there is no need for the /index.html page (which does not have a black background). Change any links back to your home page to hogisbar.com only. Without any links to it hogisbar.com/index.html will simply be 'lost in space' but it would be best to delete it in your control panel as ses may still pick it up which will do you no good whatsoever.
      Ken

If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys. Orson Wells

Comment

Thanks Ken but I really am confused. I only have two pages in this site. www.hogisbar.com
        1 is 'index' and the other is 'gallery'

In BV builder they are named 'index.bvp' and gallery.bvp'

On my home page (index) the text link 'gallery' is hyperlinked to the URL /gallery.bvp

On my gallery page the text link 'home' is hyperlinked to the URL /index.html

I only have to two html pages (index.html and gallery.html)
        So I don't understand what to delete or change the links to.
        Can you explain some more where I'm going wrong.
        Thanks in advance
        Jaykay

Comment

Hi Jaykay.

In BlueVoda, load your gallery page.
          Right click on your "Home" button (or whatever it's labeled).
          Left click on "Properties" from the list that appears.
          The Properties box that now opens has two tabs, be sure you are on the "General" tab
          Change the ULR to http://hogisbar.com
          After that you'll want to republish that page so it changes your website, then when someone clicks the "Home" button they will be taken to your home page with the proper background.

Keep up the good work!

Tom
          CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
          CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
          CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

Tom
            It's not a button its a piece of text, therefore when I right click and then left click on properties, all I get is a text properties dialog box. The only options there are to 'convert to an image' and 'change the background colour or image'
            There's no option to put in a URL
            Sorry but I'm still really stuck
            Jaykay

Comment

Originally posted by jaykay View Post
              On my gallery page the text link 'home' is hyperlinked to the URL /index.htmlJaykay
              JayKay, Change this link to yourdomainname only (leave out the red) and see what happens.
              Ken

If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys. Orson Wells

Comment

Originally posted by jaykay View Post
                Tom
                It's not a button its a piece of text, therefore when I right click and then left click on properties, all I get is a text properties dialog box. The only options there are to 'convert to an image' and 'change the background colour or image'
                There's no option to put in a URL
                Sorry but I'm still really stuck
                Jaykay
                Didn't see this bit... ok you're linking from text. On your gallery page highlight the text 'Home'. Click the little green (link) icon in your top Blue Voda toolbar. (It will only appear when you have text highlighted). This is where you enter your url. Enter your domainname url only.

Somehow, you managed this before so it should come back to you.
                Ken

Comment

Thanks Ken

All my links appear to be working ok now however, I still have the main problem in that my black background dows not show up when you first go to the site.
                  Do you have any suggestions how I can the background black and stay black. I was thinking of using some kind of image but I'm sure it would be far too big.
                  Thanks
                  julie

Comment

Re: Background Question

In your header tags off some off your pages you have this,
                    Code:
                    </style>
                    <style type="text/css">
                    body {background-color: transparent}
                    </style>
                    which is overriding the the color, and setting it to your browsers default color. you may have added this in a sript that you have added to the page. find out which script and remove.

Comment

In the html 'start of page' tag I have the following at the beginning.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
                      <html>
                      <head>
                      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
                      <title>Hogi's Bar</title>
                      <style type="text/css">
                      body {background-color: transparent}
                      </style>
                      <meta name="KEYWORDS" content="penera,pernera,cyprus,hogies,hogis,hogies bar,hogis bar,bars cyprus,restaurants,restaurants cyprus,bar,bars,bars in pernera, bars in penera,music,music bars,music bars cyprus,restaurant bars,bars for children,bars for kids">
                      <meta name="GENERATOR" content="Created by BlueVoda">
                      <style type="text/css">
                      div#container

But don't know where to start deleting and where to finish.
                      can you help
                      Thanks
                      Julie

Comment

Brilliant, I've deleted the style text and all is ok now.
                        Thank you very much.
                        Julie

Comment

Hi, site is all showing up at my end ok.
                          Something else to have a look at? In Fire fox BV has a habit of messing with the images for vertical lines. (Sorry! i should of said FF messing around with BV) lol.
                          On your directions map that you have made, it shows up like the attachment in FF. This is not uncommon. But would suggest taking a snap shot of the area when viewing in IE like i have done & then enter it as an image on the page. This way it will work in all browsers.

Good luck.
                          Attached Files
                          Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thank you Chris
                            You are just so informative. I didn't know that about FF and will be doing as you suggested.
                            jaykay

Comment

Working...
                            X