Trying to get old blog at a new URL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to get old blog at a new URL

I'm trying to "dust off" an old WordPress blog (www.jhwm.net/WordPress) that I set up in Sep '06 but never really used--posted to it only once. Had nothing on it to lose, so I went ahead and upgraded my WP to version 2.3.3.

The one thing I can't seem to figure out is how to revise the URL for this blog. I want a more descriptive URL than the one above, so on my WP "Options" page, I revised the blog URL to be: www.jhwm.net/copywritingdesignblog. But the blog isn't showing up at that URL--it's still (only) at the original location.

FYI, the new WP 2.3.3 files installed to www.jhwm.net/WordPress and I prefer to have them in their own sub-directory like this instead of being on the root level. What do I need to do make the blog show up at jhwm.net/copywritingdesignblog? THANK YOU!!

Re: Trying to get old blog at a new URL

uninstall it and make a sub directory with that name. Then reinstall it.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

1) So the uninstall process would be to go to VodaHost CPanel > Fantastico DeLuxe > WordPress > Remove. Is that right?

2) To make the sub-directory, I would go to VodaHost CPanel > File Manager > Web Root > New Folder and then type in "copywritingdesignblog" as the name of the new folder? Correct?

3) Wait a minute . . . I see that my root directory already has a folder called "copywritingdesignblog" (oh yeah, created it last night). Should I delete that folder, or just move it to my "public_html" folder, where my existing installation of WordPress now sits?

4) And if I move it to public_html, do I still need to uninstall and reinstall WP?

THANK YOU! Sorry for so many questions, but this is tricky (to me, anyway). THANKS AGAIN!!

Comment

Unless you are very good, you need to uninstall and install to that folder. I believe wordpress makes and uses a database, and you would have to RE connect it, if you simply moved it to a new folder.

You can do either with the folder, but it wont work properly unless its inside the public_html folder.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Karen, it is so kind of you to reply so quickly! Thank you very much.

Just to clarify, did I describe the UNinstall process correctly in #1?

And it's OK to simply move the existing "copywritingdesignblog" folder to public_html, right?

THANK YOU, I APPRECIATE YOUR WISE HELP !

Comment

Yeah.. you can MOVE the folder and it should be fine. Then install the wordpress to that folder. If youve already INSTALLED to it, again you are going to be changing config files to reflect the correct path to display, and to write to when you blog, so make sure you are installing to an empty folder

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

OK, Karen, I think your advice has worked out just fine for me. Check it out: http://jhwm.net/copywritingdesignblog/

Many thanks again for all your help. Hope I can return the favor for you someday.

Comment

Looks pretty good. Maybe I will call it in too... careful what you ask for ..HEH!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                X